View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see it...
D423470D-4911-47F7-9CF8-36EB7A961E3D.jpeg
C172CDAA-F8DA-46DF-9516-B620F961B4D2.jpeg
E80BF8EB-BC6C-4965-A544-72DE7AC1B1D6.jpeg

So I kept the submarine , I still have room in front for corals my glass scraper can still scrap all around flow can get behind the scape there are also 2 caves one on the left side and one on the right side all my tools are at work so I couldn’t chisel the cement away but coral is gonna grow over that anyway .
also since the Nero 3 is more of a wide flow pump it will cover the tank more on a lower setting.

MikeSavino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well now that I feel better about the rock time to fill it up with coral
I don’t mean to piggyback off of anyone but i’m new here and still trying to figure out how posting works lol.

I have a question about a tank a set up around 6 months ago

I have a 13.5 evo with an AI Prime for lighting and an AI nero 3, running carbon, GFO purigen and phosguard, and some ceramic rings for biological filtration along with the sponge filter that comes with the tank

My tank is stocked with a ocelaris clown, six line wrasse, 1 squamosa clam, 1 small crocea clam, some corals, and a pincushion urchin.

Lately there has been some things that are concerning me like my rainbow monti started to bleach, my branching hammer frag isn’t fully extended, and my urchin seems to be losing some spines, as well as i’m starting to grow some diatoms on my sand bed…. it sounds like I have high nitrates but I went out today and bout a Hanna nitrate checker and it’s reading low.

I’ve tested for nearly everything that i could think of
(hanna) Nitrates- 3.7
(hanna) Phosphates- 0.01
(hanna)Alkalinity- 9.4
(hanna) pH- 8.3
Magnesium- 1350
Calcium- 400
Salinity- 1.026

I’m not sure what’s going on but i’m thinking maybe flow?

I know this isn’t my post, i’m sorry but i’m still figuring this site out

Thanks in advance!!

OP
OP
shadow_k

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t mean to piggyback off of anyone but i’m new here and still trying to figure out how posting works lol.

I have a question about a tank a set up around 6 months ago

I have a 13.5 evo with an AI Prime for lighting and an AI nero 3, running carbon, GFO purigen and phosguard, and some ceramic rings for biological filtration along with the sponge filter that comes with the tank

My tank is stocked with a ocelaris clown, six line wrasse, 1 squamosa clam, 1 small crocea clam, some corals, and a pincushion urchin.

Lately there has been some things that are concerning me like my rainbow monti started to bleach, my branching hammer frag isn’t fully extended, and my urchin seems to be losing some spines, as well as i’m starting to grow some diatoms on my sand bed…. it sounds like I have high nitrates but I went out today and bout a Hanna nitrate checker and it’s reading low.

I’ve tested for nearly everything that i could think of
(hanna) Nitrates- 3.7
(hanna) Phosphates- 0.01
(hanna)Alkalinity- 9.4
(hanna) pH- 8.3
Magnesium- 1350
Calcium- 400
Salinity- 1.026

I’m not sure what’s going on but i’m thinking maybe flow?

I know this isn’t my post, i’m sorry but i’m still figuring this site out

Thanks in advance!!
It’s cool haha do you have full tank shot ? And what’s your lightning and flow schedule like

MikeSavino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s cool haha do you have full tank shot ? And what’s your lightning and flow schedule li
Here is my flow, lighting, and tank shot, I just turned the lights on to take it so the clams closed up

Attachments

• 8873962B-BD72-4FED-95A2-5337D2581BBD.png
    8873962B-BD72-4FED-95A2-5337D2581BBD.png
    313.2 KB · Views: 29
  • C882BFCE-4850-4E12-807E-1659C2B0D280.png
    C882BFCE-4850-4E12-807E-1659C2B0D280.png
    264 KB · Views: 39
  • FC84736D-50DA-464C-8472-AAA339064192.jpeg
    FC84736D-50DA-464C-8472-AAA339064192.jpeg
    250.9 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
shadow_k

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my flow, lighting, and tank shot, I just turned the lights on to take it so the clams closed up
Mmm have you been messing with the tank ? Like hands in moving stuff touching the light the flow any of that ?
Maybe @fishguy242 can chime in or @elorablue about sps because I have no knowledge to why those bleach

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi , i think phos is low ,nitrates low, imo, as far as prime ,never messed with one.

MikeSavino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mmm have you been messing with the tank ? Like hands in moving stuff touching the light the flow any of that ?
Maybe @fishguy242 can chime in or @elorablue about sps because I have no knowledge to why those bleach
I probably have my hand in the tank around once or twice a week, i rinse my hands off without soap before I do. The AI Nero 3 is relatively new, I got it around 3 weeks ago. I played with the flow up until about a week ago and chose it to only go up to 30% because it’s a 2000gph pump in a 13.5 gallon tank. The lighting schedule has been the same since I got the tank. My stylophora frag seems to be doing good as well as my acans and trumpet is doing fine too.

MikeSavino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi , i think phos is low ,nitrates low, imo, as far as prime ,never messed with one.
I only feed my fish 2-3 times a week so maybe I can try and feed more to add some nutrients. I don’t get why there’s algae on the sand though if there’s no nutrients

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I only feed my fish 2-3 times a week so maybe I can try and feed more to add some nutrients. I don’t get why there’s algae on the sand though if there’s no nutrients
never used hannah for nitrates, are you equal to 30-40 ??
beautiful clams by the way.
i don't want to say it ,never dealt with ,but these guys have. start of dino's ??? hope not. @shadow_k

MikeSavino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never used hannah for nitrates, are you equal to 30-40 ??
beautiful clams by the way.
i don't want to say it ,never dealt with ,but these guys have. start of dino's ??? hope not. @shadow_k
If i’m not mistaken the nitrates are 3.7 ppm
Thank you very much:D i just got the squamosa a month ago.
I hope it’s not dino’s
Hypothetically if it was, would I shut the lights for a couple days to kill it off?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hope it’s not dino’s
Hypothetically if it was, would I shut the lights for a couple days to kill it off?
i am going to leave that to the people that have dealt with dino before ,i run dirty ,i like around 40 nitrates .25 phos ,and big skimmers,feed moderate ,no water changes ,but 300+ gallon systems... :)

OP
OP
shadow_k

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope it’s not dino’s
I feel you have overkill for your media , purigen , phosguard ,gfo ,carbon that’s a lot for that small system. You don’t want dinos it takes months to get rid of.

yes you may have some nitrates but dinos work like this one nutrient will be sky high why the other one is at 0 I had 100+ nitrates and 0 phosphates then I got dinos I had to hit a reset on my tank to get rid of it

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel you have overkill for your media , purigen , phosguard ,gfo ,carbon that’s a lot for that small system. You don’t want dinos it takes months to get rid of.
Agree. Six line will get cranky if not fed regularly. Once a day at least.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please feed your fish more than twice a week.
your flow looks fine for that size of tank
Feed your fish everyday
I would up your uv and violet to match your blues and drop your white to around 20%…but do it slowly over a couple three weeks.
As was said running gfo, purigen, carbon and phosguard is waaaay too much.
fish need food and so do your coral.
I have no idea if you have dinos or not, I don’t really know what they look like.
That doesn’t look like bleaching on the montipora (?) looks like stn but hard to tell from the pic.
if you couldn’t tell already, not feeding fish is a pet peeve of mine;).

MikeSavino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am going to leave that to the people that have dealt with dino before ,i run dirty ,i like around 40 nitrates .25 phos ,and big skimmers,feed moderate ,no water changes ,but 300+ gallon systems... :)

yes you may have some nitrates but dinos work like this one nutrient will be sky high why the other one is at 0 I had 100+ nitrates and 0 phosphates then I got dinos I had to hit a reset on my tank to get rid of it
Please feed your fish more than twice a week.
your flow looks fine for that size of tank
Feed your fish everyday
I would up your uv and violet to match your blues and drop your white to around 20%…but do it slowly over a couple three weeks.
As was said running gfo, purigen, carbon and phosguard is waaaay too much.
fish need food and so do your coral.
I have no idea if you have dinos or not, I don’t really know what they look like.
That doesn’t look like bleaching on the montipora (?) looks like stn but hard to tell from the pic.
if you couldn’t tell already, not feeding fish is a pet peeve of mine;).
Wow that sounds like an awesome set up I’m jealous ;) @fishguy242

So from what i’m understanding it’s most likely not dinos because there would need to be a spike in nutrients somewhere? I could try taking out purigen, or phosguard first and slowly work my way to a less overkill setup, I did that initially cause I got rid of the crappy fluval protein skimmer that fits in the chamber in the back of my evo 13.5, I guess I over compensated a little bit. @shadow_k

Of course, I understand, we’re all in this hobby to see our animals thrive. I will give that a try with my lighting over the next few weeks, and see what happens. As for the monti, you could be right about STN, but it started to make a comeback for a couple days, and was recoloring as well as the polyps we’re coming back out, but then it took a turn for the worse again. @elorablue

Back