My first saltwater reef tank (suggestions/help appreciated)

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can take your skimmer out and run it in a bucket with water and citric acid solution to clean it of any oil residue from manufacturing process. I stated citric acid because it won't harm your pump's impeller unlike vinegar.

My skimmer has settled down over 6 weeks now but it is still not producing skim foam at the top. I'm guessing I just dont have enough bio load in the tank.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ATO must be in the return pump chamber... really no way around it. I have a RSR XL200- similar but smaller sump. I have a Varios 2 running at 80% with the water 1-2 inches above the actual pump, and the same ATO you have locked in. It runs flawlessly and I keep my skimmer level at 8.25” - no variations unless I perform a water change, but I turn it off prior. This move also allows you to water change without the sump going low triggering the ATO, and in your case you would have to turn off the ATO in its current location due to it dropping below the eye and adding RODI to the system - or when you plug it back in and it sets up to prime the pump again. I do my water changes from the sump - cleaner that way. Also swap out the chip inside not to alarm when the float switch is triggered so it doesnt annoy you when performing water changes.

I'm going to inquire with red sea about your observations. I look at the sump like 100x a day because I'm new and expect problems to occur. The water level I'm any of the 3 chambers never seems to change. It is constant so it would appear that the ATO can be set up in any of the 3 chambers but I need to confer with red sea about this for clarification.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ATO must be in the return pump chamber... really no way around it. I have a RSR XL200- similar but smaller sump. I have a Varios 2 running at 80% with the water 1-2 inches above the actual pump, and the same ATO you have locked in. It runs flawlessly and I keep my skimmer level at 8.25” - no variations unless I perform a water change, but I turn it off prior. This move also allows you to water change without the sump going low triggering the ATO, and in your case you would have to turn off the ATO in its current location due to it dropping below the eye and adding RODI to the system - or when you plug it back in and it sets up to prime the pump again. I do my water changes from the sump - cleaner that way. Also swap out the chip inside not to alarm when the float switch is triggered so it doesnt annoy you when performing water changes.

The way this guy set it up, I will be barely able to reach the sensor over there to the far left side. Does the top off hose need to be there also? Mine won't reach presently.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to get my first tester corals this weekend for the tank. Excited but nervous also to see if they will thrive or not. Just a simple soft coral and some zoas.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I moved my ATO sensor and return line to the third chamber pump section as you guys recommended. Does it appear to be correct now in the pictures? I know the water level is a little high because the ATO was running as I was trying to set the sensor with the correct water level.

I could not get the ATO line to connect onto the sump rim on the far left side so I had to put it on the short divider glass section between the first chamber and the third one. Will this be ok? I really dont like the way it looks with the line running in front of the skimmer.

Attachments

• 20210603_171708.jpg
    20210603_171708.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210603_171716.jpg
    20210603_171716.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 27

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back