My First Saltwater Tank! ! RSM C-130 Build

OP
OP
J

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to have you along for the ride, it will be a slow one but I'll get there eventually!! Due to a mishap with some of the sump components it's going to be taking a little longer to receive it unfortunately:(

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In waiting for the sump to arrive I've spent hours trying to figure out a good way to mount a controller to the stand and keep it clean looking. I am looking at a GHL Profilux 4 as a controller which isnt exactly the smallest in the world controller wise but atleast everything is contained in one box for the most part. This sump and components will completely fill the stand so I don't think inside will be a viable option. Also have debated mounting it in behind the tank on sliders but I don't think with the limited space it will fit. Would love to hear some idea's that aren't completely separate pieces of furniture as there isn't much room for that either.

tdunmore2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you come up with for the controller mounting? How are you handling an ATO reservoir (if any?) Looking good. Love my c130, though I replaced all of the stock accessories over time. That skimmer is a pain. Do you have a picture of the tank in its new location (post move?) Best of luck!

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Questions and I'm currently in the build phase of my solution. I had come to the conclusion of adding a slide out vertical shelf to both sides of the stand (Pictured below). this gives me the benefits of having a pull out shelf for storage and a second one to mount my control centre. The top of the shelves will be capped with quartz countertop. The picture is also in its new home, I now have received my entire sump setup aside from the canister filters. I'm glad you mentioned your frustration's with the stock skimmer and that's the whole reason I decided to just go for a sump right away. As part of the sump setup I had an ATO built to fit in next to the sump. Next step, Plumbing! and LED lights to light the cabinet.

20170620_194019.jpg

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost there! Can't decide if I want to go doorless or not. Leaning more towards losing the door given the cost of the sump lol

20170622_154003.jpg

Last edited:

tdunmore2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! What did you use for the laminated MDF?
Do the side panels actually slide?

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are the outer shell so to speak the sliding portion's go inside those. You can see the drawer slides on the top on the inside of them, the drawers/shelves are in the process of being made. And the additions are made of 3/4" laminated pine board coated with CIL Malamine hybrid paint. And thank you I am really enjoying how it's turning out so far, it's been a long time coming but things are falling into place.

tdunmore2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you do the painting yourself? If so, where do you find it? Always been interested in malamine painting so many things (including other hobbies). Looking forward to the final product!

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did do the painting myself and I purchased it at home depot. It's made by CIL which is a Canadian brand so I'm not entirely sure if it's available in the US or not but I'm sure that they will have a close substitute depending on your state. it's just a matter of coating with the proper amount of paint and using a nice foam roller.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've pretty much filled the entire centre cabinet lol Top right is a small refugium approximately 4 Gal in size. Still waiting on the rest of my plumbing parts to start gluing things together but one step at a time...

20170718_140858.jpg

tdunmore2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming along nicely! How is the fuge supported? 4 gallons is a good bit of weight.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fuge is held up on the right and back sides by 3/4 × 1.5" pine glued screwed and nailed to the stand. and the front left corner is suspended with aluminum cable used to hold up store sign's. It's rated for 65 pounds which is just under double what the refugium will weigh.

View attachment 20170718_132258.jpg

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, glad you like it. It's basically a product of attempting to get as much as I possibly could into the stand. I hope it all works out, but only time will tell On that. Still not sure whether or not I'll put the door back on, probably not which means I'll more than likely be ordering a replacement ATO to fill the gap in between the current ATO and the sump.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All this for these two little guys, Just picked them up today and they are in my QT tank as we speak I have been looking at them for a couple weeks at the store, they put them on hold for me a week ago and they both seem rather healthy although I do have unexperienced eyes They will stay in my QT for at least a month or two while my build is being finished.

20170719_202131.jpg

20170719_202111.jpg

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it has been some time since I have last posted anything, The build is pretty much done aside from the pull out shelves which are being held off on until I can order my Ghl so I can build them to fit the controller. Plumbing is Done aside from a couple finishing touches and the tank is currently cycling. It has been a long time in the making but it's just about ready to be the new home of my clowns. I will still be posting updates as I make it to another step in the build which should be in a month or so when it's all cycled.
20170619_095705.jpg
20170816_202523.jpg
20170816_214944.jpg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back