My First Saltwater Tank update

Marinenewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had small fresh water tanks for many years but finally got my dream tank (Fluval 50 gal/190 liter corner tank with 206 canister filter) for Christmas. It took me a couple days of visiting fish shops and research but I decided to take the plunge and start a saltwater aquarium. I added a Tunze 9004 protein skimmer, Tunze Nanostream and changed the light to Fluval Bluetooth LED Reef light. I have always dreamed of having seahorses and that is my end goal. I started (with tons of help from my LFS) with live rock and coral sand, then added a Conch snail and some Turbo snails along with a Pink Sea Cucumber that the kids named Pickle. Imagine our surprise when Pickle climbed to the top of the rock and opened her beautiful arms! Next after all went well, we added a Flame Fish, Spotted Box Fish, and a Pipefish (which are all doing well except the pipefish who sadly didn’t acclimate to the tank). I have since added some macro algae and more copepods as I realise now it wasn’t ideal environment for my pipefish. I’m hoping to try again with a pipefish when I get more algae and have better established copepods. Next we got a Long Snout Butterfly and Orbicular Batfish which seem lovely, peaceful and everyone is eating well together. I also added a small Bush? coral which I’m going to have to learn more about. I’m still learning and hopefully will achieve my goal of a pair of seahorses eventually when the tank is ready. I’m glad to have any advice or helpful hints for beginners.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg FBE076D4-9C14-4F34-97F8-05765BBD49B3.jpeg 37DEFFB4-ED42-4FCD-BEE4-9D5BF0E3AFAC.jpeg image.jpg

OP
OP
Marinenewbie

Marinenewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 1 month. Probably seems like a lot in a month but every week I test the water and have it tested at LFS and it comes back perfect so I’ve been adding things each week. I do have a lot of live rock and ten snails so maybe that helps?

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is a bit young for that many fish. Some fish you have are pretty big as adults (the boxfish 18 inches and the batfish 19 inches) but also difficult to keep and aren't recommended for beginners. It might be better to rehome these two along with the butterfly fish. Sorry for some bad news but its better for you and the fish.

OP
OP
Marinenewbie

Marinenewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ughhhh! got them with advice of LFS. Can’t understand because I specifically asked if they would fit in my tank?!? Well I guess I can return them if they get too big but that’s a bummer for sure:(

jorwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed here, the boxfish you could keep for a bit as they are slow growers(eventually rehome), but I would definitely rehome the butterfly and and batfish already a tight space for them. The batfish you need a very large tank for them.

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. I wouldn't ask for advice from them then. Another thing is watch out for your cucumber, he opened his arms to feed on phytoplankton but in a new tank he could easily starve to death. Unfortunately it might also be better to rehome him too.

You're going to have to remove the 3 fish anyways because seahorses don't adapt well to those large fish, and really require a species specific tank. However the firefish is fine with seahorses.

jorwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest thing I’d take away here is patience. Let the tank fully cycle and add a fish here and there over the next several months. Most tangs, butterfly, large angels all should not be going in a 50g as they will outgrow it quickly.

Watch the balance in the system as the tank matures. Saltwater isn’t nearly at all like freshwater in fish, they get very large from the little guys you see in the store.

OP
OP
Marinenewbie

Marinenewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. I wouldn't ask for advice from them then. Another thing is watch out for your cucumber, he opened his arms to feed on phytoplankton but in a new tank he could easily starve to death. Unfortunately it might also be better to rehome him too.

You're going to have to remove the 3 fish anyways because seahorses don't adapt well to those large fish, and really require a species specific tank. However the firefish is fine with seahorses.

Yes I was worried about Sea Cucumber having enough food so I did get some live copepods and he likes frozen as well. And I do put a couple drops of live phytoplankton every so often. He seems to be doing well catching and eating food so far so good with him.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back