My First Softy Tank... which has turned into a mixed reef

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
:)@Eagle_Steve ,cipro? opinion? advise ? this has been ongoing for months BJD in start of losses:( thanks:cool:

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very sorry this is happening:(

What are you using to test your parameters.

Have you checked for any lose metal rusting in the sump perhaps?

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:)@Eagle_Steve ,cipro? opinion? advise ? this has been ongoing for months BJD in start of losses:( thanks:cool:
@Eagle_Steve here is a link to what I had read

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sorry this is happening:(

What are you using to test your parameters.

Have you checked for any lose metal rusting in the sump perhaps?
Nitrates-Salifert
Phosphate- Hanna
Alk- Hanna
Calcium- Hanna
Mag- Salifert

I did clean my equipment about a month ago and didn't notice anything rusting. I will double check again that I don't see anything, or any magnets that look bad.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve here is a link to what I had read

I have used cipro to treat bjd before. So far it is about 50/50. This was with bubble corals, hammers and torches. Torches did the best to recover, bubble corals were the tough one out of the 3. This is all subjective, as when I acquired the corals, they were in really bad shape. Like really bad shape.

I did all of this in a 20 long with a hob and seeded media. The dosing is exactly as that write up. Make a solution and dose as directed in the article. Just a note, I have never done this in an active tank, so have no idea what it would do in one. I would assume not much, but you never know and I am one for a controlled environment.

Also, dose after lights out. Cipro is severely degraded in light.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used cipro to treat bjd before. So far it is about 50/50. This was with bubble corals, hammers and torches. Torches did the best to recover, bubble corals were the tough one out of the 3. This is all subjective, as when I acquired the corals, they were in really bad shape. Like really bad shape.

I did all of this in a 20 long with a hob and seeded media. The dosing is exactly as that write up. Make a solution and dose as directed in the article. Just a note, I have never done this in an active tank, so have no idea what it would do in one. I would assume not much, but you never know and I am one for a controlled environment.

Also, dose after lights out. Cipro is severely degraded in light.
Would you agree that the bacteria can stay in the tank? I ask because I bought a Duncan several weeks after all the euphyllias had died and been removed. It has been in the tank for about two weeks, and this morning when I checked the tank, it had brown jelly. I pulled it immediately out. The reason I would want to dose the tank is it appears that even though there are no affected corals in the tank, the BJD continues.

What would your recommendation be on what filtration to keep going while dosing and what to stop? For example, skimmer, carbon, macroalgae.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you agree that the bacteria can stay in the tank? I ask because I bought a Duncan several weeks after all the euphyllias had died and been removed. It has been in the tank for about two weeks, and this morning when I checked the tank, it had brown jelly. I pulled it immediately out. The reason I would want to dose the tank is it appears that even though there are no affected corals in the tank, the BJD continues.

What would your recommendation be on what filtration to keep going while dosing and what to stop? For example, skimmer, carbon, macroalgae.
I have never ran into that issue, but do not see why it would not stay in the tank. For filtration,
I am not even sure what would remove it. I know if I was in the situation, I would treat my whole tank, turn off the skimmer, reduce feedings, turn off uv and remove carbon. I would also reverse my light cycle for the dt lights. Plus turn off the fuge lights. Basically make it to where I could watch the tank during my day and sleep when it was the tanks day, since cipro degrades under light.

That’s me though and I am not recommending you do it. I would have a ton of carbon on hand as a just in case, as well. Then watch the tank very closely for negative effects on anything.

Again, that is me and I in no way endorse it lol.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never ran into that issue, but do not see why it would not stay in the tank. For filtration,
I am not even sure what would remove it. I know if I was in the situation, I would treat my whole tank, turn off the skimmer, reduce feedings, turn off uv and remove carbon. I would also reverse my light cycle for the dt lights. Plus turn off the fuge lights. Basically make it to where I could watch the tank during my day and sleep when it was the tanks day, since cipro degrades under light.

That’s me though and I am not recommending you do it. I would have a ton of carbon on hand as a just in case, as well. Then watch the tank very closely for negative effects on anything.

Again, that is me and I in no way endorse it lol.

LOL, thank you. You will in no way be blamed for the sudden implosion of my tank, but I do appreciate your high-level thoughts on the matter. I think more research is needed on my part before I move forward.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done some more research and gone back and forth on it several times, but I finally decided I would dose the tank with Cipro. There was nothing really that pushed me over the edge to do it. I didn't find much positive saying that dosing a DT with meds was a good idea. But I also didn't see anything where Cipro was terrible for fish, corals, or inverts. It seems it is recommended for all when there is some form of bacteria. In the end, it was more out of fear of not doing anything. I started today and will dose every other day three times. I removed my carbon and kept my skimmer going but took the cup off the top. I figured it wasn't a bad idea to have the skimmer running and adding oxygen into the tank. I didn't switch my light but did turn off the "moon" phase of my lights, so it's pitch black earlier and stays dark longer. Now I've been obsessively checking the tank. So far, everything seems fine. However, I think tomorrow morning, when lights come back on, will be the key.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a week. I dosed three times every other day. Today I did a 30% water change. I can confidently say that nothing terrible happened. No fish, corals, inverts, or macroalgae died. I cannot confidently say that there are no more harmful bacteria in the tank. So far, there has been no BJD spotted, but maybe it's just lying in wait. I am tempted to get another equphyllias and see what happens. However, I am worried that the dosing did work, but whatever I buy has BJD and introduces it back into the tank. Or the other option, it didn't work, and when I add a coral, it will become infected and died, wasting money. For right now, my plan is not to add anything new to this tank and wait until the new tank is up running and settled before buying a new coral.

FTS15 3.5.21.jpg

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This poor tank is so neglected. Well, I shouldn't say neglected. I've just haven't been doing much with it in anticipation of a new tank. However, there have been several delays, and I don't think I should continue to hold off. Last week I cleaned all my equipment (skimmer, powerheads, and pump). I pulled them all out and soaked them in the sink with Citric Acid for about 30 mins and then scrubbed them clean. I also vacuumed the sand bed, which I haven't done in months. The last couple of items I have been holding off on are bubble algae and aiptasia. Both I've taken care of in the past by adding some CUC members (peppermint shrimp and emerald crabs). I have been holding off on getting any new ones because I didn't want to worry about finding more creatures and moving them over. However, the problem is getting worse and worse. Maybe it would be better to take care of it now before it becomes a huge issue. Both of these started in one area, but I am beginning to see them grow and spread. I have no date when the new tank will be coming, so I don't know if it is a week out, a month, or several months. At this point, I think it would be good to get at least one emerald crab and 1-2 peppermint shrimp in to stop the spread.
0C008E11-1DC7-4982-9308-4A6E12FA81CA.jpeg

B3A5CA89-1D5B-4482-83BD-797630E54BC3.jpeg

A0BC466D-965A-4206-9333-717A8B5E579C.jpeg

332FACEA-3BBB-4A14-89F7-87567AB48F37.jpeg

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the coraline and algae covered walls is pretty

Thank you, but that reminds me of my biggest issue, asterina starfish. They are everywhere, and I don't know how to get rid of them. I have been doing manual removal right now, but I clean a rock, and the next night it is full again. My rocks were covered in coralline algae, and now they are picked clean. Which I think is helping with the spread of other nuisance algae. I know you can get a harlequin shrimp, but I don't think I could feed it after it ate all the starfish.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always give it to a friend , sell ,or get a credit for it at lfs after your problem is dealt with .
I've thought about that with other livestock, but I worry about being able to catch it. Maybe others have better luck with those types of things. I see people all the time saying they are going to get something, and when it outgrows the tank, trade it in, but I can barely get a fish out of QT where there is only one PVC pipe.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their not that bad to catch , easily bated , I started using for the same reason and ended up keeping it . Their beautiful to look at and have their own personality . I just buy a chocolate starfish for it to eat about one a month .

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A aptasia eating file fish to eat aptasia , a foxface bristletooth tang for bubble algae , and Mexican turbo snails to eat long hair algae might be of help to help clean up the other issues you have but could be hit or miss depending on the peticular fish . Kole tangs love diatoms and algae plus their cool to watch . Hope this is helpful

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back