My first tank Biocube 32g

Pharmasea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 4 months ago me and a friend decided to both set up saltwater tanks for a new hobby. I went with a 32g biocube and have been filling it up (too) quickly. I have 2 clowns, lawnmower blenny, banded goby, mandarin, pistol shrimp, fire shrimp, 2 turbos, 3 hermits, RBTA, brittle star, and a variety corals.
In the back chamber I have the inTank media basket and fuge basket with chemipure blue and purigen and a small ball of cheato with a separately controlled light. I have jebao rw-4 set to pulse opposite of the pump to try and provide a random flow.

Notable issues so far I had two lightning maroons that didnt get along and then started biting the heads off my euphyllia that I returned. Also, I purchased a small bright orange nudibranch that immediately crawled on top of my torch and died, which the torch didn't like. I originally had a flasher Wrasse but it died the day after I moved the tank to a new stand. My goby refuses to venture out of the live rock to the pistol shrimp cave. The RBTA's foot is planted in the pistol shrimp cave and I see it recoil every time it gets smacked with an antenna. And nitrates- other than overfeeding I think I may have overstocked on copepods/amphipods because I couldn't tell if the population was staying stable so I added 3 different types over a month period. I had 3 aiptasia pop up, two being on the skeleton of my blasto- I treated with aiptasia-x and haven't seen any for 2 weeks.

I've definitely made a lot of mistakes but I'm learning and hope to keep it going. Please share any feedback or suggestions. I have been trying to read and watch everything here and on YouTube, but there is so much info out there it's hard to know what I need to learn first. If anyone wants specific pictures of anything let me know these are just two full size pictures I took recently in different lighting conditions

20191206_110425.jpg
20191211_072537.jpg

Last edited:

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its looking good. What's your stocking list at the moment

OP
OP
Pharmasea

Pharmasea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its looking good. What's your stocking list at the moment

2 Blacker Ice Clowns
1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Banded Goby
1 Mandarin
2 Turbos
2 Blue legged hermits
1 Red legged hermit
1 Fire Shrimp
1 Pistol Shrimp
1-2 tiny Brittle Stars
1 Rose bubble tip anemone
1 Frogspawn
1 Torch
1 Chalice
1 Blasto
3 Zoas
1 Acans
1 Favia
1 That coral in the middle on top of live rock that I can't remember the name of lol

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 Blacker Ice Clowns
1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Banded Goby
1 Mandarin
2 Turbos
2 Blue legged hermits
1 Red legged hermit
1 Fire Shrimp
1 Pistol Shrimp
1-2 tiny Brittle Stars
1 Rose bubble tip anemone
1 Frogspawn
1 Torch
1 Chalice
1 Blasto
3 Zoas
1 Acans
1 Favia
1 That coral in the middle on top of live rock that I can't remember the name of lol
Looks good. The only issue I see is the Mandy. It's going to need lots of pods. Even if it's eating frozen pod consumption is going to be really high. They have to constantly eat because they don't really have a stomach to hold food.
Look up Paul b has a really good Mandy feeder.

OP
OP
Pharmasea

Pharmasea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Since the goby won't protect me I'll let the nem do it"

I'll check out that feeder, its frustrating not knowing how the pod population is doing. I've been adding phytofeast daily to try and keep them reproducing. I added some pods from LFS, 1250 from aquarium depot, and a bottle of tigger pods

20191214_082508.jpg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back