My First Tank & First Aquascape

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a vertical 20gal tank as a newbie and wanted to do a wall tank. Considering I need to leave some space above for the fish to swim I didn't go straight to the top.

Setup: The bottom two rocks are 20lbs of purple live rock and then I added another 25lbs of purple (non live). The purple live rock on the bottom is more red and I'm hoping the top rock will get the same color over time. My biggest issue is that the middle big rock stayed a really dark purple but the ones on top got brighter in the tank. They still look the same color out of the tank. I wish I wen't full live to keep a uniform color. Still need to add more putty and a darker putty over the light colored pieces.

I'm still a bit on the fence on how it looks. Any advice to make it look better?

P.S. No fish yet, I'm waiting another week for the bacteria to grow and for the tank to cycle a bit more. Will be adding clown over the weekend as starter.

116904674_783668715504864_5726342893727183797_n.jpg 116683677_1003145703458376_8776152159579064812_n.jpg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you can get flow around the back then you should be good. The key is to avoid dead spots. As for the color, don't worry as it will all become the same overtime.

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you can get flow around the back then you should be good. The key is to avoid dead spots. As for the color, don't worry as it will all become the same overtime.
Thanks I just ordered two power heads to try and replicate a real current swirling around an under sea mountain. They should be coming in soon!

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what's your long term plan?
adding coral? if so what?
Yes I 100% want to add coral but I haven't thought that far off yet. Still giving it a week to get my first clown fish and I'll prob add coral 2 months down the line. I did make some changes tho to increase flow quality, add more surface area, make it easier to clean behind and add some dens/ areas for fish to swim in circles. See next comment below! Please give feedback

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made some changes to make it easier to clean, increase flow, more surface for future coral and add more space for fish to swim in circles if they wanted. Please comment if you think I should make any changes

TANK.png

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also been experimenting and testing flow using sand. This is how it seems to be working out in my tank. Thoughts on the flow? I haven't found any dead spaces

flow.jpg

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbh, I would remove some of that rock, thats alot of rock for that small of a tank. I would remove those 2 largest rocks and make a scape based on the remaining. If you look up BRS videos as well, you can literally break that rock apart and make your own custom scape using glue/mortar. Would work well for a smaller tank like that. Ryan (BRS) just posted multiple videos on his facebook page showing this. Very informative videos, I would check them out!

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbh, I would remove some of that rock, thats alot of rock for that small of a tank. I would remove those 2 largest rocks and make a scape based on the remaining. If you look up BRS videos as well, you can literally break that rock apart and make your own custom scape using glue/mortar. Would work well for a smaller tank like that. Ryan (BRS) just posted multiple videos on his facebook page showing this. Very informative videos, I would check them out!
Thanks I think I will go a completely new aquascape route using my live rock and breaking it up.

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished re-doing my aquascape. Broke up all the rocks and created 2 separate wabi-sabi rocks. Added more nooks & crannies for future coral, a few places for fish to hide and ended up removing all the sand. I did this because I like the look, it's more simple and easier to clean since it's a small tank. Please share thoughts and what I can do to improve!

new reef.jpg

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience the fish need caves and hiding places to sleep without stress and a refuge if some aggression develops. Not sure I can see that in your plan. But, if you have it great.

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience the fish need caves and hiding places to sleep without stress and a refuge if some aggression develops. Not sure I can see that in your plan. But, if you have it great.
Yeah I put one cave i the rear and one is going sideways. I didn't wan't to have any caves forward facing. Hoping that tactic will make it an even more stress free environment.

rob s.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a small 20 gallon also. i debated the idea of rock vs. open space and since the tank is such a small enviorment fish are not really something i can go crazy with so i opted for a rock scape that allows for placement of coral more than room for fish. I do have 2 clowns and will eventually get a wrasse pistol shrimp pair but that's about all i would put in my tank. Good luck and i hope your tank gives you as much pleasure as mine does!

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a small 20 gallon also. i debated the idea of rock vs. open space and since the tank is such a small enviorment fish are not really something i can go crazy with so i opted for a rock scape that allows for placement of coral more than room for fish. I do have 2 clowns and will eventually get a wrasse pistol shrimp pair but that's about all i would put in my tank. Good luck and i hope your tank gives you as much pleasure as mine does!
Yup that's the plan. I actually don't even want fish tbh but I might as well get 2 clowns or 1 other fish.

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some updates... Changed the intake pipe on the Marine Pro to a 1" PVC pipe. Hoping that white putty will crust over and not show in a few months.

Also made some changes to the rock "on purpose".. I went to remove the top piece and the middle section came up and fell into place like an arch. That was the sign for it to stay like that lol.

117714995_3364374703629807_6491136693368337842_n.jpg 117532006_389415372042077_8548109407026978174_n.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 45 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back