My first tank. Help me find the right coral.

Hugo Garcia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guy, I'm stating my first tank and would like to ask some help to figure out what coral can I put on it. It's a 20 gallon tank with a Kessil A89 tua blue. I'm going to add clownfish in a month and was wondering what would be a very ease coral to keep.

This is how t looks today:
APC_1085.jpg

Thanks a lot guys

APC_1090.jpg

trevormass7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is say start out with softies or really easy lps just to get used to having corals. This like Kenya tree or zoas and palys. If the die you know you need to check levels and definitely make some change

moseley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Tank is looking good. How long has your tank been up? What are your water parameters?

OP
OP
Hugo Garcia

Hugo Garcia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Tank is looking good. How long has your tank been up? What are your water parameters?
I've had it up for a week now, I have zero ammonia, zero nitrite, some nitrate, pH around 7.5. Salinity is at 1.020.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had it up for a week now, I have zero ammonia, zero nitrite, some nitrate, pH around 7.5. Salinity is at 1.020.
Once you get your pH up to 8.1 - 8.3 and your salinity to 1.024 - 1.026 you might consider some softies with movement like pulsing xenia or clove polyps, even green star polyps. Realizing these grow rapidly under right conditions, you'll want to place them where they won't be "invasive" as you grow out your tank. Once your tank has matured, you might consider some acans which are pretty hardy and can be found in a wide range of colors.

moseley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy lps and softies are a great way to begin. I'd wait a while because your tank hasn't gone through the new tank cycle yet. How are you feeding the bacteria?

OP
OP
Hugo Garcia

Hugo Garcia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy lps and softies are a great way to begin. I'd wait a while because your tank hasn't gone through the new tank cycle yet. How are you feeding the bacteria?
I'm ghost feeding with clownfish food

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! A good starter coral would be a low light LPS like a duncan or some type of euphyllia coral (Hammer, Torch, Frogspawn) however i'd let the tank run a little bit longer, a week isn't enough in my personal opinion.

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good advise above^^

Some easier soft corals to start off with include: Xenia (invasive), anthelia (invasive), Kenya trees (invasive) zoas/ palys (very popular), star polyps, sympodium (can be invasive), Yuma/ ricordea/ rhodactis/ hairy mushrooms, toadstool leathers (very popular), and other assorted leather corals.
As for LPS, some easier species include Euphyllia (hammer/ frogspawn/ torch), acans, blastomussa, chalices, favia, trumpets/ candy canes, duncans, and some maze/ brain corals.
Keep in mind that LPS corals are generally referred to as being a 'step up' from soft corals, so definetly try your hand at keeping some softies before jumping into LPS

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palythoa grandis are a really good beginner coral. They look really nice and grow well when fed. Palys and zoas in general are good choices but try not to get wild caught zoas since they can be tempermental. If you get a leather coral plan the tank around them as they can get huge.

Back