My first tank setup! Mixed reef and cute fishies

nemille

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello ! I started in the hobby with @TooMuchDog just a few months ago. We moved in together in November, and in January we decided to get a tank started! It was my very first time having fish, and going with saltwater seemed scary! We did a few mistakes, but also have had great success on other aspects. This thread will cover our tank build, our mistakes, our lovely fish, the cool corals we got (and those we lost) and more. I will try to add as many pics as possible too!

To get started, we looked online to find a decent deal on a tank. We found a 75 gallons with stand and cover, and some leftover equipment for 400$. Great! The catch was that to get this beast to the 2nd floor of our apartment, it would require some extra muscles ! ! My, that thing was heavy. But we made it! We spent some time washing it thoroughly with vinegar, to try to get some scratches and marks from the glass. It didn't work fully but it helped a lot.

Then it got started! One of our first mistakes was to not rinse the salt before putting it the tank. We ended up staring at a cloud of sand and water for almost a week! I thought it would never settle down! We used a bit of that product that gathers particles in the water, and I think we also did a water change to help it to settle faster. After all, it was not a big deal yet, as we were just getting started on cycling and did not have any fish yet, but at the time it really sucked haha. We worked hard on our aquascaping skills too! We bought some dead rocks and some dyed "live' rock and tried to shape it with glue. The glue really did not hold well at all, so we decided to use acrylic rods instead. It is not easy to put rocks together using that, but at least it is solid and you know that your rocks are not going to fall out once it is all set! I already knew I wanted an engineer goby, so having a solid aquascape was necessary to prevent any accident once the little guy would start digging under these rocks.

Here's how it looked like at first!

20200205_200343.jpg

I think that cycling the tank took about 3 weeks. We read that it's possible to add fish before that your tank is fully cycled, but I really did not want to make any fish suffer and decided to wait instead.

Then, one day, our parameters were finally good! Our first fish was actually a couple! A pair of black ice clowns. So cute :)
1593038372065.png

These clowns are still doing great to this day, and other than the female being dominant over the male, nothing weird to report. They are still shy with our anemone, but that's a story I'll talk later on about!

Then, second fish we got is the adorable yellow-eye kole-tang. I really wanted a fish that would be active and swim around the tank, and this one is perfect for it. Really beautiful pattern on its skin, and it spends its whole day swimming around, nipping at the rocks for algae, and a few times a day it goes for sprints and circles around the tank.
1593038629316.png

Along with that, we shopped around for LED lights to eventually get coral. We decided on 2 AI Prime 16 HD. Then, my bf @TooMuchDog gave me an anemone for Valentines Day and I was really excited for my clowns!! (I know, I know, anemones do not do well in young tanks, but this one was offered from a friend's one that just split and I really wanted to try it out)
1593038882664.png

The nem has been doing great too! There was a few weeks where it was walking around a whole lot, and we put it in the acclimation box with the clowns and it seemed to help her get a whole lot better. Of course, once we released the clowns and the nem back in the tank, the clowns COMPLETELY forgot about it. It's sad, they were the cutest little things when they were hosting the nem! But oh well, clowns will do what clowns want. Maybe one day they'll come back and host it.

Let's fast forward a few months! Our tank is now 6 months old, and we own a one-spot fox face (this one is a little cow, it eats any type of algae you drop in the tank in a matter of minutes), an engineer goby, two wrasses (a pintail and an orange back), the two clowns and the tang I mentioned, and a bunch of corals. We're doing great with soft/lps (hammer, torch, elegance, red goniopora, frogspawn, gsp, green brain, a few acans and zoas), but have not tried really any stick/sps yet (well, the only ones we tried died, so I'm not eager to spend money on that).
Here is what it looks now!

20200624_175400.jpg

20200624_175456.jpg

I think I will leave it here for now and post regularly about the new adventures and odd things happening with out tank! Thanks for following, commenting, asking questions, don't be shy!

20200205_200343.jpg 1593038601460.png 20200624_175400.jpg 20200624_175456.jpg

TooMuchDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She asked me to reply to the post with some technical details of the tank.

We have around 70 pounds of live rock and a canister filter that came with the tank. In the canister is ceramic rocks and granular carbon. There is also a HOB skimmer. We tried keeping macro algae for filtering as well but the fish ate it too quickly for it to be useful. We added some pods and phytoplankton at the beginning as well but I really see any.

Parameters seem to be pretty steady. We do weekly water changes usually but the alk, calcium, and magnesium never seem to drop much. The nitrates stay steady at around 15ppm but phosphates are tough to control. They constantly rise even with the use of lanthanum chloride on occasion.

For lighting, the ai primes we started with seemed to keep things alive, but after getting a par meter we decided to add 4 t5s to get around 150 par on the sand. After doing that the growth seemed to take off.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi gang and welcome.

Tank looks great. You are not using much cal, alk, mag since your coral load is not to large right now. Have you thought about GFO instead of dosing to help Po4? The foxface and tang probably eat a lot, not helping at feeding time. Any room to put them on a diet a bit reducing the amount you feed to cut the amount of Po4 entering the tank?

Just some thoughts.

1593046483574.gif

TooMuchDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mastiffsrule
Ya we've tried gfo but I think it gets depleted too quick to really make a difference. We started out not testing phosphate or running a skimmer but had some mysterious coral deaths so decided to start managing those. I think the rocks absorbed a lot in those first four months or so.

In regards to feeding, we were doing 3 times a day about as much as they could eat in 2 minutes. Have since gone down to 2 times a day. Maybe 1 a day is worth a shot but I've heard the wrasses need to eat pretty frequently.

OP
OP
nemille

nemille

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got a new carpet nem this weekend! I love the color contrast with the bta we already had. Maybe the clowns will finally start hosting it this time...
20200629_123053.jpg

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Welcome to the deep-end of the pool! Your tank looks great! Nice write up as well. Having two reefers in the house is dangerous, do either of you have the ability to say no? :).

giphy.gif

OP
OP
nemille

nemille

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Welcome to the deep-end of the pool! Your tank looks great! Nice write up as well. Having two reefers in the house is dangerous, do either of you have the ability to say no? :).
Thank you ! Haha, well we do try to keep a budget and to agree on whatever we buy :) but yeah restraint is hard sometimes!

OP
OP
nemille

nemille

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We welcomed a new friend in our tank this weekend! We've been noticing a that there are a lot of worms living in the sand, and that it may be causing harm to some of our corals. At least we think it might, since one of our plate coral is in pretty bad shape and there were worms stuck on it. So we got this yellow wrasse! Cute little fella, he's already getting along well with the rest of his tank mates and he is eating already. I'm not too sure if he is eating worms out of the sand yet, but I have seen him nip at the sand so I guess that he might be!
IMG_20200714_122659.jpg

Another notable event : our bta is super annoying lol. It will stay one week in a spot, and then it will start walking around to choose a new spot. Thing is, its favorite spots are always right next to a coral, so we have to relocate them to avoid them getting stung. Right now the nem relocated right next to our elegance coal and we can see that both their tentacles have been touching and stinging each other. I'll wait a bit to see if the bta keeps walking, but if not I'll have to move the elegance again.
IMG_20200714_122936.jpg

TooMuchDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still battling phosphates as well. I tested our RODI water and it read .1, but the tds is 0. I've read some people say phosphate tests are inaccurate on pure water. I'm going to order replacement resin just in case. The phosphate was tested at .54 the other night so I did a 20% water change. The next morning I tested and phosphate went up to .61. So I am at a bit of a loss of what to do. I want to take a break from lanthanum chloride because I'm sure the rapid shifts in phosphate is doing more harm than good. Most of our corals seem to be doing good, but nothing has really grown aside from the GSP in the months we've had it so my guess is it is due to phosphates since every other parameter is within recommendations.

TooMuchDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unlucky hermit crab fell into the anemone. I guess it was a good breakfast.

signal-2020-07-19-104221_002.jpeg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey looking good!!!

TooMuchDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the continuing battle against phosphates we decided to test to see if the rock was leeching tons of phosphate. I took out about 20 pounds of live rock and put it into a bucket of fresh saltwater. In two days the phosphate was up to 0.3. So now the plan is to add LaCl till the phosphate is 0, then swap the rocks with another 20 pounds or so of easily removed rock, until hopefully we get the majority of the phosphate out of the rock.

In other news, taking the rocks out of the tank seemed to have opened our clownfish eyes to our carpet anemone. So we've finally got a nice home for the clowns.

20200810_162923.jpg

OP
OP
nemille

nemille

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another big news! My first BTA split! I remember getting it for Valentines day this year, it was so small... and now 5 months later it's having babies. So cute!
IMG_20200817_084945.jpg

TooMuchDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally gave up and added a sump and took down the canister filter. We used a 1000gph siphon overflow and a macro algae reactor pump to pump it back. We have a 40 breeder and a 15 tall tank but unfortunately the 40 won't fit in the stand through the front. So we put some baffles in the 15 and plumbed the overflow to it. We moved our heater to it, set our uv back up permanently inside it, then put everything in the canister in between the baffles. Let's see how this set up goes. The overflow seems safe in event of siphon breaking or back siphoning so I'm happy with it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back