My first torch

Danjoc92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. This is the first torch I have bought. It’s in my Fluval evo 52L and is currently just sat on one of my rocks ( I don’t dare glue it without asking ). I would just like anyones opinion if it’s got the right flow or if it needs more or less. It has literally been in the tank for an hour so it’s not fully extended at the moment. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dan.

OP
OP
D

Danjoc92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

Last edited:

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. This is the first torch I have bought. It’s in my Fluval evo 52L and is currently just sat on one of my rocks ( I don’t dare glue it without asking ). I would just like anyones opinion if it’s got the right flow or if it needs more or less. It has literally been in the tank for an hour so it’s not fully extended at the moment. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dan.
What is the name of the torch, and what do you have in terms of low - stock pump or with a wavemaker combined?

OP
OP
D

Danjoc92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the name of the torch, and what do you have in terms of low - stock pump or with a wavemaker combined?
Hello. I think it’s an indo gold 99% sure. If not it’s a dragon soul. I have an Eheim nano 1000 pump with two random flow generators. I don’t have a wave maker

OP
OP
D

Danjoc92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow seems good. You want it in 150 to 250 par so mid tank placement is fine.
Thanks it’s probably getting less than that as I only have the stock Fluval evo light. It’s not as yellow as it was in the store however I am saving for an AI prime 16HD which will do the job for me.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks it’s probably getting less than that as I only have the stock Fluval evo light. It’s not as yellow as it was in the store however I am saving for an AI prime 16HD which will do the job for me.
Torches are finicky corals to keep. They need stability and correct nutrients levels to stay healthy and happy.

OP
OP
D

Danjoc92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light will be the only thing I’m changing. Unfortunately lost my two clowns to ich or Brook so I’m 2 days into a 76 day period without fish. I hope I can keep all the corals happy. I have been feeding the tank and will keep doing so. Also have been directly feeding the torch with mysis shrimp.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light will be the only thing I’m changing. Unfortunately lost my two clowns to ich or Brook so I’m 2 days into a 76 day period without fish. I hope I can keep all the corals happy. I have been feeding the tank and will keep doing so. Also have been directly feeding the torch with mysis shrimp.
You need nitrates at 10 and phosphate at .05 to .1 for LPS.

OP
OP
D

Danjoc92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I have been able to keep the nitrates up but am worried about what will happen without fish. I don’t want to use reef roids as I’ve heard they send the phosphate through the roof.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I have been able to keep the nitrates up but am worried about what will happen without fish. I don’t want to use reef roids as I’ve heard they send the phosphate through the roof.
I went through 76 day fallow to. I fed my inverts but dosed neophos and neonitro to keep my levels up for the corals.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah perfect. I’ll google it now see what I can get. Thanks for your help!
If you decide to dose neophos and neonitro, I had to double dose for multiple weeks before my numbers got where they needed to be and you are correct that roids spikes phosphate.

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
Nice looking Torch!! I would like to add my 2cents on the lighting requirements that were mentioned on this thread. I agree that 150 to 250 par will work fine for a torch but if properly acclimated they can handle much more. My purple Indo blue tip was slowly acclimated to higher par and has been sitting a 355 par for the last 7mo and is doing great. I did a 3mo acclimation prior. When purchased he had 2 heads and was smaller than a tennis ball when extended and now he has 6 heads and is bigger than a softball. If you ever decide to get Frogspawn they too can handle a higher par than the normally recommended par when properly acclimated. My Wall Frogspawn sit at 310 par and have nearly doubled in size in less than a year and walls are supposed to be slow growers.
I am sure there are other factors with my setup that contribute to their growth and them being able to handle a higher par. Just remember to take it slow with any changes to tank parameters including lighting. The coral will let you know if it is not happy with it's environment. Your tank looks fairly new. From what I have read, torch's sometimes don't do well in a less than one year old tank after cycle. I added mine one year after cycle so I don't know if that's a verifiable statement.
Sorry so long but one last comment. If I remember correctly you said you will be changing your lights. There are many threads on this site and others that post about their corals not doing well all of a sudden. Then when asked "What Changed" they say nothing and then It's "Oh Wait" "I just bought new lights" or "I added some extra lights" or "I played around with my light settings". When you get your new lights I would recommend getting the par and spectrum as close as possible to your old lights for awhile then you can slowly make the adjustments you need or want to make. I tend to lean on cautious level.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 49 83.1%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.1%
Back