My fish are not swimming

fishlover95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, i have Evo Fluval 13.5G tank. I have 2 ocallarius clownfish 1 royal gramma and 1 bluehead fairy wrasse... my tank always looks empty, the royal gramma usually stays underneath a rock, my wrasse always hiding beside a rock as well and the 2 clownfish swims in one spot on the side.
When i feed them they all go out to eat and so, although i noticed also they’re avoiding the center or the other side of the tank, they rarely swim there ever...
Why is this happening?? Am i doing something wrong?

all parameters are okay..the salinity and temperature are stable... the corals and CUC are healthy and in a good shape? Only the fish that just...don’t swim...

Any help?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its the fish you have, clowns usually stay where they are hosting, either anemone or rock or powerhead etc. royal gramma like to hide in rockwork.
the fairy wrasse are very skittish and should not be in a 13.5 gallon tank (and should prob be rehomed) its not big enough and it will most likely not feel safe enough to come out

Upvote 0

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its the fish you have, clowns usually stay where they are hosting, either anemone or rock or powerhead etc. royal gramma like to hide in rockwork.
the fairy wrasse are very skittish and should not be in a 13.5 gallon tank (and should prob be rehomed) its not big enough and it will most likely not feel safe enough to come out
+1

It just happens to be these particular species that either like to hide or swim in one spot.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishlover95

fishlover95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been told by in my LFS that it would be okay to add a wrasse in my tank... i usually do my research before buying any fish but this one especially i just fell in love with it’s colors...

does this mean that any wrasse won’t fit in my tank?

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to say but none, the tank is over max capacity with 4 fish. in this tank 3 fish is even pushing it (2 clowns and 1 royal gramma), i wouldnt listen to anymore recommendations from that store anymore. not cool of that store risking a fish that should be in a 90 gallon tank and telling you it can fit in a 13 gallon aquarium

Upvote 0

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an orchid dottyback, purple firefish, and diamond watchman in my Evo. The dottyback disappeared for over a week at one point, but it's a great fish for the tank, as it weaves in and out of its hidey holes and is a constant purple presence during the day.

If you can't trade in your fish, you might consider some interesting inverts and coral to add life to the tank. Duncans are always a great addition, and a small tuxedo urchin might help you with algae if it's a problem for you.

Upvote 0

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That wrasse needs to be rehomed. They are active swimmers and it is hiding because the tank is too small. There is no where for it to go, so why should it? An active fish hiding is a sure sign of stress. Tank wise, it should be in a 75g. They get about 5 inches.

My royal grammas were out a lot but they were in 20g and 80g tanks.

I hate to tell you but your tank is pretty small and more appropriate for perching and hosting fish like small blennies and gobies. Instead of buying more fish which may hide... maybe it is time to spend money on a bigger tank?

Upvote 0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 71 78.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 7 7.8%

Back