My fish don't like mysis shrimp?

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also, I don't understand what would be keeping the PODS alive... what do they eat? I'm behind on my biology research... I thought they eat algae and maybe I have that in the water column but it isn't visible or growing anywhere (my lights are still off).

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AlgaeBarn thanks, I'll read and refresh my aged brain from what I probably learned in high school!

But this leads me to the question: Is there stuff for pods to eat in my tank? Phytoplankton, etc. that I can't see? Or do I have to proactively do something to make sure of this... again, my lights are off and not sure yet when I'll add coral and turn them on.

Eh, I'm probably asking things Google can tell me! ;Bookworm

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@AlgaeBarn thanks, I'll read and refresh my aged brain from what I probably learned in high school!

But this leads me to the question: Is there stuff for pods to eat in my tank? Phytoplankton, etc. that I can't see? Or do I have to proactively do something to make sure of this... again, my lights are off and not sure yet when I'll add coral and turn them on.

Eh, I'm probably asking things Google can tell me! ;Bookworm
So when someone orders our OceanMagik phytoplankton we suggest to dose it as needed so the tank inhabitants can feed off of it. There may be trace amounts in your aquarium but if its boomin your water will turn green xD ~Shaun K

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have several fish that don't like mysis.
Easy fix for you.
Dont feed them mysis.
This thread sure got derailed. :rolleyes:
giphy.gif

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of mysis are you feeding? My fish eat PE mysis VERY happily no matter when I throw it in there (definitely need to rinse it!). But they will NOT TOUCH hikari mysis. They are very clean but also cooked. The fish won't touch them and I have piggy fish!

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my fish, and girlfriends fish, refuse mysis. They love pellets of any kind and reef nutrition brine plus LRS or rods. Not sure why, even when I try to only feed mysis. Local store owner says fish are like kids and only want what tastes good and try to feed just the good stuff, that tastes bad, they will get hungry and eat it. Like kids and Candy.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If You have fish thats big enough to swallow mysis and they dont, just try another brand.
There are so many kinds of treatments to food before its frozen and they might taste different.
Cooking is a way of reducing bacteria but there are different kinds of anti clumping agents too.

Steph1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 little clowns as well and had the same problem. I just did an experiment and thawed about 1 fith of a block of Mysis shrimp and put 2 small vitalis marine pellets in the thawed stuff and let it sit for 10 mins. My thought proscess was to let the "flavour" of something they liked to permeate with the mysis. It seemed to work. Wonder if anyone else has success with this. Would love to hear either way

Cheers

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two immature clowns and a young royal gramma.

These guys pig out on the TDO Chroma Boost small that I feed them.

Happy to hear our TDO is readily consumed by your fish. This dry food is very popular with large-scale marine ornamental aquaculture operations. They use it at almost every stage of development, feeding it to larvae, juveniles and adults. What size are you feeding?

Our "large pods that you can see" are not at the end of their life cycle, just to be clear. Not sure why that comment was made. We pack our Tigger-Pods bottles with gravid females and sexually mature males. The females actually have developing embryos which will hatch in your tank and start to populate. There are also juveniles in our bottles. The females will produce baby copepods for weeks.

Adding them when lights are out and having all pumps turned off is good. That way, they can get into your rock and substrate before getting eaten.

We do suggest that you dose phytoplankton to the tank so that your zooplankton will have nutrition to reproduce. Our Phyto-Feast is a great blend of microalgae for this purpose.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reef Nutrition can I add Phyto-Feast before turning my lights on? Will ambient room light (indirect sun from two windows) sustain them?
Phyto-Feast Live can be fed at any time of day. The phytoplankton in this product is not likely to survive in an aquarium. Many of our customers will turn off recirc pumps and skimmers when dosing phyto. This allows the animals in the tank to consume it before the filtration strips it out.

By the way, thanks for supporting your LFS. We really appreciate it. I also appreciate your post and your time. ;)

If you ever have any more questions, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Best,
Chad

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...how much TDO chroma boost do the fish eat? Like, how many pellets? I like to think of frozen food as vegetables, and pellets as mashed potatoes. There's a bit of fiber (chitin), and a lot of water content. Eating 4 ounces of celery is going to be different from eating 4 ounces of plain mashed potatoes. First of all, I hate celery, and love mashed potatoes. Second of all, all of that fiber and water content is going to fill a person up more than just the starches in mashed potatoes. See where I'm going here?

Have you tried using something smaller than mysis, like, say, frozen copepods (PE calanus, Cyclop-eeze, Hikari Cyclopods, etc.)? You might have better success with them nomming on something that's not super big.

As for pods, it'll take a bit for the population to get established. Give it a few months, and you'll probably have a great population going.

Your TDO analogy is interesting to me. Comparing a well-rounded pelleted food to, essentially, starch is not in line with the components of TDO. This food contains a variety of protein sources as well as phytoplankton; many of the same constituents as frozen blends but in a more nutrient dense form. I mean no disrespect when I say, no, I don't see where you are going with this. This dry food is being used by numerous marine ornamental aquaculture operations all over the country. There are breeders that use this diet to wean their fish off of live feed organisms, and, they feed it to their broodstock. Breeders rave about good growth rates, high digestibility and palatability. We even have breeders weaning mandarin dragonets with this diet.

I completely agree that trying other food types is a good idea. Copepods, whether dead or alive, are a great source of nutrition.

-Chad

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your TDO analogy is interesting to me. Comparing a well-rounded pelleted food to, essentially, starch is not in line with the components of TDO. This food contains a variety of protein sources as well as phytoplankton; many of the same constituents as frozen blends but in a more nutrient dense form. I mean no disrespect when I say, no, I don't see where you are going with this. This dry food is being used by numerous marine ornamental aquaculture operations all over the country. There are breeders that use this diet to wean their fish off of live feed organisms, and, they feed it to their broodstock. Breeders rave about good growth rates, high digestibility and palatability. We even have breeders weaning mandarin dragonets with this diet.

I completely agree that trying other food types is a good idea. Copepods, whether dead or alive, are a great source of nutrition.

-Chad
Hmmm...let me see if I can clarify. The point of the analogy was not to compare the nutritional values, but rather to compare the “filling/satiety” and the overal volume that the mysis vs the pellets occupy in the fishes digestive tract. Frozen food is predominantly water, whereas pellets are rather dry (dependent on manufacturer). Similarly, celery is mostly water. Looking back on what I wrote, I admit that I failed with comparing pellets to mashed potatoes (maybe something like a breakfast biscuit would work? Soylent? Some sort of AIO meal replacement).

What I’m trying to say, is that since mysis is water and fiber (and everything else), it could be considered a lot more filling, and takes up a lot more volume than its nutritional equivalent in TDO pellets due to water content. Hence, OP’s clowns might eat a piece of mysis and feel full based off of eating that one piece. Whereas they would probably eat more pellets in order to gain the same amount of satiety.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm...let me see if I can clarify. The point of the analogy was not to compare the nutritional values, but rather to compare the “filling/satiety” and the overal volume that the mysis vs the pellets occupy in the fishes digestive tract. Frozen food is predominantly water, whereas pellets are rather dry (dependent on manufacturer). Similarly, celery is mostly water. Looking back on what I wrote, I admit that I failed with comparing pellets to mashed potatoes (maybe something like a breakfast biscuit would work? Soylent? Some sort of AIO meal replacement).

What I’m trying to say, is that since mysis is water and fiber (and everything else), it could be considered a lot more filling, and takes up a lot more volume than its nutritional equivalent in TDO pellets due to water content. Hence, OP’s clowns might eat a piece of mysis and feel full based off of eating that one piece. Whereas they would probably eat more pellets in order to gain the same amount of satiety.

I appreciate your response and thank you for your time on this. I wish I had more time to be in these forums. ;)

I've seen fish go nuts for pellets and frozen mysis, so not sure what is at play with Trevor's fish. I've also seen fish just eat pellets and turn their noses to all other food types. Our fishy friends can be quite challenging at times.

Have a great night, sir.

-Chad

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heh. Turns out, they love the mysis shrimp. I've been feeding it now and then, and it only took a few times for them to acquire a taste for it, I guess. They seem to get rather excited now when it comes their way.

No soaking or any enticements, they just go for it now.

My new yellow coris wrasse was onto it immediately, seems they like it for sure.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve stopped mysis, I have the same fish as you and they just don’t like them, they much prefer brine shrimp, I offer a few different frozen, loads of options out there, if they don’t like a food I don’t try and add garlic etc I just try something else.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AlgaeBarn I "dosed" the tank with some Reef Nutrition tigger pods, LFS said they would reproduce, after I said I thought they wouldn't without a proper habitat/culture whatever.

The fish went after the pods, especially the clowns. Turned off pumps and the lights, but just before I hit the lights I saw the clowns snarfing 'em down.

Haven't seen a pod since. :mad:

Felt like I got scammed but it would be good to know how to do that right, because clearly the fish love them and a mandarin goby is something I want to get down the line.

How long ago did you add the pods? It took about a month for my pods to really start reproducing and showing up in the tank.

As for your frozen mysis question, my fish are not big fans either. Even mysis pellets aren't popular with them! They're all crazy about frozen brine shrimp, though. I think they like the smaller size, and even with pellet foods it seems that for my fish, the smaller the better.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a combo pack of frozen food, fish wouldn’t eat any of it. Took it back to PC, had to come back when the manager was in. She finally admitted it sat out for a couple days, before it discovered and was refrozen.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back