My fish from my LFS keeps dying, what could be the cause, Alkalinity, Salinity or something else?

OP
OP
E

enb141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the fish though. Some are jumpy fish. We kind of need to know which fish jumped out. We also need to know what his parameters are.
List of fishes that jumped:

1 Damsel Azure
1 Damsel Yellow Tail
1 Ruby Red Dragonet
1 Chromie Viridis
1 Damsel/Chromie (don't remember its type)
1 Anthias
1 Molly

areohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all those fish that jumped, i hope you invested in a lid/cover of some sort.

Why do you need to increase your magnesium in a fish only tank?

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t buy Petco fish
This, at least in illinois case.

Every petco I have been to runs super low salinity. I bought my first clowns from them and they flipped out 10 minutes into drip aclimation, calmed down put into the tank and they absolutely panicked again. I was new so I thought maybe it was normal.

Read some posts on it, checked my salinity. It was 34ppt, went to petco after work the next day and asked what their salinity was, and the staff there did not know what I was asking. Bought a small rock to get some of their wayer, get home, 1 clown was dead and covered in webby looking stuff, the other was swimming around non stop at a strange steady pace. I tested their water, it was 1.016 sg.

I captured the other clown and took both back to petco, found out the return policy, and they still insisted all saltwater was the same and that I must have ammonia. Never went back.

I have since checked the salinity wherever I am going to consider buying from. All the chain stores run way low salinity, about 1.018 on average. All of the locally-owned shops run right around 1.023 to 1.025. Which is possible to drip acclimate.

I have adopted the match salinity in QT method anyway so it doesn't matter now.

So I think most likely salinity, but could be many other things.

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This, at least in illinois case.

Every petco I have been to runs super low salinity. I bought my first clowns from them and they flipped out 10 minutes into drip aclimation, calmed down put into the tank and they absolutely panicked again. I was new so I thought maybe it was normal.

Read some posts on it, checked my salinity. It was 34ppt, went to petco after work the next day and asked what their salinity was, and the staff there did not know what I was asking. Bought a small rock to get some of their wayer, get home, 1 clown was dead and covered in webby looking stuff, the other was swimming around non stop at a strange steady pace. I tested their water, it was 1.016 sg.

I captured the other clown and took both back to petco, found out the return policy, and they still insisted all saltwater was the same and that I must have ammonia. Never went back.

I have since checked the salinity wherever I am going to consider buying from. All the chain stores run way low salinity, about 1.018 on average. All of the locally-owned shops run right around 1.023 to 1.025. Which is possible to drip acclimate.

I have adopted the match salinity in QT method anyway so it doesn't matter now.

So I think most likely salinity, but could be many other things.
Why would they run it so low? What’s the benefit of it for them? Especially if they know the majority of buyers are around 1024-1026

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would they run it so low? What’s the benefit of it for them? Especially if they know the majority of buyers are around 1024-1026
Low salinity will suppress diseases. This keeps the fish from getting sick and dying at the store but once you raise salinity at home the diseases will proliferate.

Also, fish can handle drops in salinity but not raises so it is less for employees to consider when stocking new fish.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back