My fish have ich yikes i just have a few questions.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I put metro in the tank before the salinity is back up ?

I've personally never done that before, but the answer is probably yes. I've read threads where others have successfully mixed metro & hypo. If you wanted a "safer option", you could soak fish food with metro instead for now - obviously, this is only going to be effective if the fish is still eating.

Once you get the SG back up and are able to dose copper you'll have a lot more options. I've successfully mixed copper with metro, antibiotics, Prazipro.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW; it's never "ideal" to mix meds/treatments. But sometimes you just have no other choice, and it becomes the "lesser of two evils" compared to letting a fish go untreated.

OP
OP
B

ben310135

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks again everyone for all your help dealing with this horrible issue but it is a learning experience. I am hoping at the least my clown will be ok he still shows no signs.

OP
OP
B

ben310135

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short I think everyone has ich went to two stores both sold out so I got the Cupramine copper and I am just wodering if I could give the one who is showing issues at the least a copper bath in some of the water from the tank ? Or just start dosing as I said earlier the clown still looks good I am just trying to make sure I am doing everything the best way possible given the situation.

OP
OP
B

ben310135

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW; it's never "ideal" to mix meds/treatments. But sometimes you just have no other choice, and it becomes the "lesser of two evils" compared to letting a fish go untreated.

So I am just wondering is there a reason I have to wait until the salinity of the water is at a certain point ? I was able to get the

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short I think everyone has ich went to two stores both sold out so I got the Cupramine copper and I am just wodering if I could give the one who is showing issues at the least a copper bath in some of the water from the tank ? Or just start dosing as I said earlier the clown still looks good I am just trying to make sure I am doing everything the best way possible given the situation.

Copper doesn't provide any immediate relief for fish suffering from ich or velvet; on the contrary copper is a poison and being in it stresses a fish out. But it works by shielding a fish from reinfection; breaking the cycle. After the "attached stage" of ich/velvet falls off your fish, eventually there will be a "free swimming stage" looking to reinfect. These free swimmers are the only life stage of the parasite that copper can successfully eradicate. They get zapped in copper, so long as you have reached therapeutic levels, and the cycle of parasites will finally come to an end. Copper works because fish are usually able to last longer in it than the parasites. So, as you can see, doing a "copper bath" would provide no immediate relief. Fish need to be in it for at least 2 weeks (preferably 1 month) to have a reasonable chance of success.

Other medications, such as formalin & metro, make a more immediate impact by clearing a fish's gills of some of the parasites (but not under the skin).

So I am just wondering is there a reason I have to wait until the salinity of the water is at a certain point ? I was able to get the

It just introduces an "X" factor that is difficult to predict the outcome. I have 0 experience using hypo; let alone using meds in hypo conditions. But I have mixed just about everything imaginable with copper and Chloroquine phosphate. Perhaps someone with more experience using hypo will chime in.

OP
OP
B

ben310135

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update on the marine velvet

So here is an update. I lost one blue reef but have the other and the clown. So the update is this I did 4 weeks of cupramine copper. Then stopped and my blue reef started to get the spots back. So I emediatly started back on it I am in week 2 but the spots don't seem to be going away. I am not sure if the treatment isn't going to work or if it could be something else. Also the This clown never got a spot on him and has been a little trooper the whole time in qt. Just wondering for suggestions and to see if maybe it might be something else which needs a different type of treatment. Also I have been testing twice daily to ensure the copper stays at .50
IMAG0526_BURST004.jpg
IMAG0529_BURST006.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking back over this thread, I think your fish has Brooklynella (possibly IN ADDITION to ich). The pics you posted in #7 look very much like brook to me.

I would keep the fish in copper, but also start doing formalin baths. I outline how to perform a formalin bath if you scroll down here: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/fish-disease-treatment-diagnosis/189658-treatment-options-my-two-cents.html

Formalin is what I've always used to treat brook, but it is not the only known treatment. Here are the others (taken from: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/fish-disease-treatment-diagnosis/189284-fish-diseases-101-a.html)

Brooklynella:

Symptoms – This is most often seen in clownfish, but it can afflict any fish. The fish’s skin will appear to be peeling or sloughing off, oftentimes causing excessive white mucous to form around the affected area(s).

Treatment options - Formalin bath, followed by additional formalin baths (as needed - but give the fish a day to recuperate in-between baths). You can use formalin in a QT (at a much lower concentration than the bath), but great care must be taken to provide plenty of gas exchange as formalin will quickly deplete the water of oxygen. For this reason, doing baths is the safer option as the fish can be pulled from the formalin if showing signs of distress.Formalin-MS is preferred, as that contains 37% formaldehyde. However, in a bind, any medication containing formalin (ex. Quick Cure) is better than nothing. Alternative treatments for brook include metronidazole (ex. Seachem Metronidazole) and acriflavine (ex. Acriflavine-MS). A freshwater dip may provide temporary relief if you are unable to locate any of the aforementioned medications right away.

OP
OP
B

ben310135

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humble just so you know the fish in # 7 is the bluereef I lost. the last two pics posted are the only fish left. I will start to do the baths tomorrow. If the clown isn't showing signs of it should he be bathed as well. This guy has no spots on him or peeling of any kind.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humble just so you know the fish in # 7 is the bluereef I lost. the last two pics posted are the only fish left. I will start to do the baths tomorrow. If the clown isn't showing signs of it should he be bathed as well. This guy has no spots on him or peeling of any kind.

I would perform baths on both - one at a time. Brook is highly transmissible in clowns & damsels. It's possible the presence of copper is masking full blown symptoms. Just looks like some sort of external protozoa is eating the skin right off him, so to speak. Formalin might be able to accomplish what copper is not.

OP
OP
B

ben310135

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been doing formalin baths now for about 1.5 weeks and this is the only thing that changes teh spots move copper is still at .5 however the blue reef chromis every time I do the dip a day later he gets this on his tail. I am assuming this isn't normal for formalin baths. Also doesn't seem to be getting any better the spots go away for a day but then come right back. Any help would be great.
IMAG0553.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back