My Fraga Look Bad in QT - really bad

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to go out on a limb here.....And sound harsh, but......

Your doing to much too fast. Plain and simple. Corals like stability, changing water every day is not a stable environment. High PO4 can also kill a coral very fast.

I wonder what these "pests" you speak of from WWC? I've gotten many order from WWC and the only "pest" I've ever seen on many LPS or SPS is copepods, and some bristle worms.

EXOTICAQUATIX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly..too much too fast, corals like stability, ive seen them survive horrible conditions that they had become use to. Slow down and maitenence the tank like you would your DT

Seashelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes me want to start my own business where I actually sell people HEALTHY animals for their reef.
I just want to say that I get this, and I empathize with your QT situation. I joined the hobby about 6 weeks ago, and I am appalled by the number of "issues" I've had even before I have a single coral in my display tank. I've done everything "by the book". Dipped and inspected corals prior to putting them in a brand new QT tank. Had a massive hair algae outbreak, and an ongoing battle with aptasia. I also had an explosion of those little white worms all over the QT, and possible zoa pox. Lost an alveopora for some unknown reason. I have been unable to solve these problems in the QT, so I don't know how I'll ever be able to put these corals in the DT.

Also currently deailng with internal parasites in my new clownfish (who is in a QT separate from the corals). She came directly from a very reputable breeder. Not sure if she's going to make it.

I'm extremely frustrated and saddened by all of this. Can't catch a break. It seems to me that the supply chain is just riddled with problems that us reefkeepers try to deal with on an individual basis after purchase. Here's an idea: why don't the distributors treat their livestock at the top of the supply chain? I, for one, would pay a lot more for livestock if I was 100% certain it was pest and disease free. I've certainly sunk an unbelievable amount of money into this QT process. Not to mention time.

I know there are some websites that claim to quarantine... but I'm skeptical, and don't feel comfortable ordering livestock online anyway. Besides, this should just common practice at all the LFSs. If livestock is not healthy, it shouldn't be sold IMO. This is a much broader issue within the hobby, and I'm not sure why more people aren't talking about it.

ETA: This issue is especially problematic for Canadians because fish medications and treatments are no longer legally sold here. If I'm lucky, my international order for furan-2 will be here in a month. If I'm unlucky the shipment will be confiscated at the border.

Sorry to hijack your thread without offering any help. /endrant.

Last edited:

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to say that I get this, and I empathize with your QT situation. I joined the hobby about 6 weeks ago, and I am appalled by the number of "issues" I've had even before I have a single coral in my display tank. I've done everything "by the book". Dipped and inspected corals prior to putting them in a brand new QT tank. Had a massive hair algae outbreak, and an ongoing battle with aptasia. I also had an explosion of those little white worms all over the QT, and possible zoa pox. Lost an alveopora for some unknown reason. I have been unable to solve these problems in the QT, so I don't know how I'll ever be able to put these corals in the DT.

Also currently deailng with internal parasites in my new clownfish (who is in a QT separate from the corals). She came directly from a very reputable breeder. Not sure if she's going to make it.

I'm extremely frustrated and saddened by all of this. Can't catch a break. It seems to me that the supply chain is just riddled with problems that us reefkeepers try to deal with on an individual basis after purchase. Here's an idea: why don't the distributors treat their livestock at the top of the supply chain? I, for one, would pay a lot more for livestock if I was 100% certain it was pest and disease free. I've certainly sunk an unbelievable amount of money into this QT process. Not to mention time.

I know there are some websites that claim to quarantine... but I'm skeptical, and don't feel comfortable ordering livestock online anyway. Besides, this should just common practice at all the LFSs. If livestock is not healthy, it shouldn't be sold IMO. This is a much broader issue within the hobby, and I'm not sure why more people aren't talking about it.

I’m very sorry to hear about your misfortune- I really hope you clown pulls though :(

OP
OP
MarsWulf5

MarsWulf5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ETA: This issue is especially problematic for Canadians because fish medications and treatments are no longer legally sold here. If I'm lucky, my international order for furan-2 will be here in a month. If I'm unlucky the shipment will be confiscated at the border.

I'm so sorry to hear all that. That's a lot. I can offer some advice. Vibrant works for algea really well. It will kill hair algea, bubble algea etc... but.. if the rock is newer it leaves all that real estate available for cyano. Which I have treated with Chemiclean. It works... but the cyano comes back. I bought a UV sterilizer for the DT, run carbon and GFO, and have chaeto and pods going into my fuge tonight after my 20% DT water change because I used chemiclean.

It's been my impression, though purely speculative, that the vendors all do high volume. They are pumping fish and corals in as fast as they go out. Because of the volume they do - I think that actual quarantine is just not profitable for them. Marine Collectors is a good example. They do a quarantine - but not for a full life cycle of ich. Also, those fish are $400 -$4000 a piece. Most reefers can't pay that - so the money for the LFS is in turn and burn livestock.

If I ever get into the business - I will try doing large batch QT and see if it works out understanding that it would be a labor of love and not something necessarily for profit.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back