My "Free" Roadside pickup tank build

Octane13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally decided to start a build thread for the "new to me" tank. Backstory, I have had a 40br for a little over two years now and had some we'll call them learning curves. After fighting through Dino's and some ill timed equipment failures the tank is doing fairly well now so TIME TO UPGRADE. I had been dead set on a 4ft 120 for the longest time and missed out on some decent tanks. I always felt like if the 40 was just longer it would be awesome so I kept my eye out for a 6ft. Seems silly now but I wanted a bigger tank for two reasons, the first is I got a tang after about a yr in the 40 and it should be in a bigger tank and the second is that I REALLY want a spotbreast angel pair among other things. Anyway one day bored I was on marketplace and saw a tank in the background of a picture for something else. Well I talked to the seller and it was free but he wasn't sure the size he thought it was a 120. So like an idiot I hooked up my trailer and drove 45minutes one way for the tank. Turns out it was a 125 in decent shape and the rest is history.

IMG_1145.jpg

OP
OP
Octane13

Octane13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I picked the tank up in June and test filled it then progress has been very slow. I got it about halfway filled and ALL the plastics cracked. So time to reseal and apparently its nearly impossible to find trim for a 125. While I figured out what to do I thought I might as well strip the silicone. For A short while I thought I might turn it into a plywood tank, but who wants to spend time in an unfinished basement...

IMG_1171.jpg

OP
OP
Octane13

Octane13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eurobrace the top perhaps?
I did end up going with 3 top and 3 bottom braces I was going to full euro but didn't think it was necessary or cost effective. This is what it looks like I think they were 10 mm? I can't remember now but it was the closest to the glass of the aquarium that I could get without a custom order.

IMG_1176.jpg IMG_1177.jpg IMG_1179.jpg IMG_1212.jpg IMG_1213.jpg

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally decided to start a build thread for the "new to me" tank. Backstory, I have had a 40br for a little over two years now and had some we'll call them learning curves. After fighting through Dino's and some ill timed equipment failures the tank is doing fairly well now so TIME TO UPGRADE. I had been dead set on a 4ft 120 for the longest time and missed out on some decent tanks. I always felt like if the 40 was just longer it would be awesome so I kept my eye out for a 6ft. Seems silly now but I wanted a bigger tank for two reasons, the first is I got a tang after about a yr in the 40 and it should be in a bigger tank and the second is that I REALLY want a spotbreast angel pair among other things. Anyway one day bored I was on marketplace and saw a tank in the background of a picture for something else. Well I talked to the seller and it was free but he wasn't sure the size he thought it was a 120. So like an idiot I hooked up my trailer and drove 45minutes one way for the tank. Turns out it was a 125 in decent shape and the rest is history.

IMG_1145.jpg
Hey, that looks like my tank.....

OP
OP
Octane13

Octane13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last month I was working at a customer's home going back and forth by the trash can and I noticed a 10 gallon aquarium, I took the filtration and lighting I wish I would have got the tank, tank was in great condition.
People give me tanks all the time. I would have grabbed the 10 just bc (says the guy with 2 55's a 30 and two 10 gallons sitting empty in basement).

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup so far! I really like your scape. Lots of swimming room for your tang.
I’m excited to follow along and watch how it all comes together.

OP
OP
Octane13

Octane13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the hardest parts of the build was to implement some lessons learned on the other tank. So this time it is plumbed to the basement where my mixing station is and where I have room to work. So I drilled a brand new 75 and set about the baffles (should have used thicker glass, they bow slightly when adjacent sections aren't filled.

1- no filter socks - made a section for filter floss (so far it works wonderfully)

2 - going to try reactor instead of refugium and have a LR section - could ditch either at any point and still have room

3 - Oversize the return section to be able to cover volume to eventually two tanks
- One of the biggest problems I have in my 40 is the return section empties too quickly and takes about a minute to equalize. This causes excess fresh water from the ATO until Leveling out and salinity issues and raises the level in the sump to make my high level sensor freak out.

4- check valves are not a fail-safe so make sure there is enough sump volume to cover any extra that makes it past the valve

59673383212__E485F94F-60E0-415C-8591-B76AAB43A960.jpg IMG_0061.jpg IMG_0062.jpg IMG_0069.jpg IMG_0074-1.jpg IMG_0075.jpg IMG_0076.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 47 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back