OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stunning! How do you think one of those fuzzies would do in a SPS tank with tons of flow? Always wanted one!

That depends..... sucky answer, isn't it? LOL!

As a juvenile, their fins would would cause them to be blown around like a kite. With "wings" folded in they can hold there own, then they open them up and...

...... BAM! the flow catches their fins and the're licking the glass.

As they get older they get stronger. The question is, do they care? As long as they were getting fed and have places to go for shelter, I'm not sure they would. Fuzzies just really go with the flow.... flow of life, that is.

FeliciaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Absolutely gorgeous fish, Renee! Also, your photography skills are super impressive! Keep them coming :)

Stunning! How do you think one of those fuzzies would do in a SPS tank with tons of flow? Always wanted one!
Not a fuzzy, but my dwarf zebra actually seems to play in the flow. I have a lot of flow in some areas for my SPS and gorgonians. I have the flow in my tank set up so there are areas of lower flow and some of higher, so there are plenty of places where its easy for my lionfish to swim without getting blasted around. However, my zebra likes to go right in front of one of my MP10's and go flying across the tank. Its almost like he finds it entertaining, haha! I'd think as long as you have plenty of areas in the tank that aren't quite such high flow, then one would do just fine in there. My bigger concern than the flow would actually be the lionfish's effect on the SPS. Not like they would ever harm SPS, but feeding lionfish results in a lot of nutrients, so that can be hard for keeping nicely colored, happy SPS. In a big enough tank with really good filtration, you shouldn't have an issue though.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What sparked the interest was a big ole volitans that was returned to my LFS. The staff was telling me about how he did not want to give it up, but it was too big. I liked how the fish interacted with people and moved his fins around like someone controlling their rowboat. He was massive and I wanted one like that.

I was about to launch into a story of how I didn't have a tank for a volitans, so my husband surprised me a fuzzy...... but hubby seems to remember the volitans was first, not the fuzzy. So, my whole story may be a lie. LOL! Either way, hubby surprised me with a fuzzy or a volitans that was small enough to fit in a 5 gallon tank.

Man, I can't believe I can't remember. It seems like it's something I should!!

Last edited:

FeliciaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What sparked the interest was a big ole volitans that was returned to my LFS. The staff was telling me about how he did not want to give it up, but it was too big. I liked how the fish interacted with people and moved his fins around like someone controlling their rowboat. He was massive and I wanted done like that.

I was about to launch into a story of how I didn't have a tank for a volitans, so my husband surprised me a fuzzy...... but hubby seems to remember the volitans was first, not the fuzzy. So, my whole story may be a lie. LOL! Either way, hubby surprised me with a fuzzy or a volitans that was small enough to fit in a 5 gallon tank.

Man, I can't believe I can't remember. It seems like it's something I should!!
Either one is an interesting story! Its hard to keep track of everything in this hobby! I've only had reef tanks for 4 years now and I already mix up specifics like that. So how long did the 5 gallon tank last until you had to upgrade? haha! Volitans are so fascinating! Someday when I'm not in a second story apartment and can have a bigger tank, I want to get a big volitans. I could see how one of those would inspire the interest!

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Felicia and Renee for sharing your experiences with lionfish. I feed an absurd amount of food in my tank so the little guy shouldn't make much of a dent in that. I have a 7" emperor that's as thick as a steak and eats like a pig so the lionfish can't do more damage than that guy. Thanks again!

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful of your fuzzies jumping out, we had 2 go exploring before we did something about it. Then we lost a different type of lion even though the top was covered. They are made to move forward quickly, so if they get startled, they can go flying like a kite.

Kite #1

cnseekatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bonded pair of yellows that I lost during a tank crash. I was devastated, and have yet to find another.

b25bc0c2-98c6-49ec-9229-3acbcd48c99e_zpsptawi8d8.jpg

db364c0d-f7f7-4066-8413-6231128ba027_zpsdbvxhfdx.jpg

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if he was that stunning under garage lights then that had to be a gorgeous fish! Someday I'd love to have one! I'd like a fuzzy but I know they don't do well with zebras and my zebra is my absolute favorite. He isn't the most colorful, but he has soooo much personality. He always swims the front glass when he sees me near the tank and he follow me around when I'm photographing the tank or doing maintenance. Such a puppy dog!

That's weird that they are so difficult! I figured they'd be hardy like other fuzzies.

They don't get along with Zebras? I had a Fu manchu and a Fuzzy get along great. They totally ignored eachother. I miss them....

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all about sexual maturity, being male and being of similar body shapes. We've had them get along for a couple years then BOOM, it's like boys in highschool. Our barberi went after a fuzzy and a mombasae. He was much smaller than the mombasae, but he tore up some fins. In one tank I had 2 fuzzies, a radiata, a sphex and a Fu. Everything was fine until one day I noticed the fuzzy was picking on the Fu a lot. That's when I saw the first set of eggs. The fuzzies were breeding and it was never the same after that. If you get a male fuzzy, barberi and/or zebra, they'll likely fight. Maybe not right away, but there's a good chance it's coming.

Basically, there's a wide range of personalities and some are sweet and some are..... not nice. As the males mature, expect fighting between the same species or from those of like body shapes.

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all about sexual maturity, being male and being of similar body shapes. We've had them get along for a couple years then BOOM, it's like boys in highschool. Our barberi went after a fuzzy and a mombasae. He was much smaller than the mombasae, but he tore up some fins. In one tank I had 2 fuzzies, a radiata, a sphex and a Fu. Everything was fine until one day I noticed the fuzzy was picking on the Fu a lot. That's when I saw the first set of eggs. The fuzzies were breeding and it was never the same after that. If you get a male fuzzy, barberi and/or zebra, they'll likely fight. Maybe not right away, but there's a good chance it's coming.

Basically, there's a wide range of personalities and some are sweet and some are..... not nice. As the males mature, expect fighting between the same species or from those of like body shapes.

It sounds like we lucked out! I've always been under the impression sexing Lions wasn't usually done. How could you tell? Also, where did you find the Sphex?!?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back