My GHA nightmare is back in just over a week.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With over 3 decades of reefing under my belt I have dealt with GHA on many occasions.. typically I manually remove all I can during water changes, pull individual rocks if possible and scrub with toothbrush then rinse before putting back in tank, introduce a very large and diverse CUC, cut back on feedings and control your nutrients.. also cutting back on light schedule or a few day blackout can also help you get the upper hand.

OP
OP
saullman

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With over 3 decades of reefing under my belt I have dealt with GHA on many occasions.. typically I manually remove all I can during water changes, pull individual rocks if possible and scrub with toothbrush then rinse before putting back in tank, introduce a very large and diverse CUC, cut back on feedings and control your nutrients.. also cutting back on light schedule or a few day blackout can also help you get the upper hand.

This is why I am so confused. You are telling me to do exactly what someone else told me absolutely NOT to do a few posts ago. (algae Bible)

GabeM

King of... something.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I am so confused. You are telling me to do exactly what someone else told me absolutely NOT to do a few posts ago. (algae Bible)

None of this advice is based on anything other than what we know about algae (which is actually rather limited compared to some things) and anecdotal evidence, which can be affected by a great many variables. That being said, what works for one person may not work for another.

A great many things in this hobby are like this (feeding corals, light bandwidth, LEDs, etc). I would suggest trying what you think fits your needs best and if that doesn't work, try another method.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There are a million ways to run a reef, I’m just sharing what has worked for me.. it will be up to you to gather as much information as possible and make your own best judgment on which direction you go.

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0ec1cbff605cc88359ee5a5475447703.jpg

My nitrates are also low but still getting algae in my display. It’s a 60G frag tank with no filter socks, only skimmer, gfo reactor. Not sure what’s going on. I stopped feeding pellet foods only frozen food hikari mysis. My lights are reef Breeders photon running mostly blues/violets for 8 hrs day. Using fritz pro salt and all of my parameters are in check. Thanks

niQo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a tuxedo urchin a while ago and it was dead within 3 days. I have no idea what happened other than my tank was a newer tank. I have been hesitant to buy one ever since. Are you supposed to acclimate them just like you would a fish before putting it in the tank?

Yes, just like a fish. I’ve had no problems acclimating a tuxedo urchin this way on two different occasions.

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure if you followed my thread last month almost had to break down my reefer 450 it was so bad. Literally tried everything including fluconozole and nothing worked except.....api algaefix. This stuff is truly magic in a bottle. Algae melted away in a week. Just look at my videos.

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure if you followed my thread last month almost had to break down my reefer 450 it was so bad. Literally tried everything including fluconozole and nothing worked except.....api algaefix. This stuff is truly magic in a bottle. Algae melted away in a week. Just look at my videos.

Algae Fix worked for you?

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae Fix worked for you?
I’ll post a pic when I get home of the before and after your not gonna believe the difference in less than 2 weeks. I tried raising mag to over 1500, black out, phosban, algae scrubber, added more and more cuc, urchins, nothing worked until algae fix and it just melted. I was about to head down my tank thankfully I found Algaefix.

Bengals888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does reducing White/Color LED’s on time help with GHA rate while leaving Blue LED’s on?

Tuxedo urchin is my friend. He does such a great job, I have to feed nori every other day. GHA is still an issue. I use RO Dual DI and still have GHA issues, 3 tanks over 2 years.

EmptyWallet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few mentions about Hermit Crabs eating Snails. They need 'bigger shells' as they grow and only attack the snails for their fancy larger shells. I bought a bag of 'various sizes' of hermit crab shells on eBay (kids collected at a beach is my guess), threw them in the tank and that solved the problem instantly. Within a day or two, all hermits upgraded to the new shells - it's cool to watch! I have GHA issues and the hermits aren't a magic cure, I think they only graze on it when they get hungry and the GHA has been cut down to it's stub, if they even touch it at all :(

Frogger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it appears that there is absolutely no consensus into the best course of action. Every tank is different. Probably there is no one correct answer.
I have found that the best option is patience and time. You need to choose a method that makes sense to you, go with it and stick to it.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back