My giagantae anemone split in treatment tank

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well first of all im Sps guru but a noob in anemone. Recently I bought a green giagantae anomone and put in my main display. After a three days it look deflated so I ask my reefing friend Tony and pm OrionN regarding treating it. So I follow the procedure and do 10g fresh saltwater with 250g Cipro in a 10g tank with small power head n heater. This morning to my surprise I have 2 anemone in the treatment tank so I start pm and text to all my friends and they all say giagantae don't split in captivity. Well picture say better than 1000 words.

Day 1

Day 2
imghost

Day 3

And here is a video

I'm going to keep doing the treatment and monitoring for the next 11 days to complete the process and hoping that I can keep both anemones survive.

Please give input cause I have no clue about anemone. This is my main display

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any pictures of the mouths?
The video should show each anemone with its own mouth. This picture show the seperate foot
BE461272-3234-4956-8880-0587A323FADB.jpeg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please keep this well documented. This is the first spontaneous splitting of Gigantea that I know about. There have been other people chopping in two, most died but one or two survived.
Hope your will do well, both of them.
I would get clear picture of the column so there would be no doubt that this is a Gigatnea.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Please keep this well documented. This is the first spontaneous splitting of Gigantea that I know about. There have been other people chopping in two, most died but one or two survived.
Hope your will do well, both of them.
I would get clear picture of the column so there would be no doubt that this is a Gigatnea.
Will do I just don't want to disturb it but when I change water tonight I will take more pictures

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats! This is a first. And a big one at that.

If you are able, I would love to see how the two mouths are forming. If they are open, I would like to know if the siphonoglyphs are exposed and where they are located.

The forced split gigantea that appeared a few years ago had scars on the column, and the siphonoglyphs were not fully formed.

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Document for sure. I have a few that were clearly cut, the mouths were on the edge of the disk and it was clear in person that it was cut. It took a few weeks to close up and for the mouth to move to the center. It’s interesting that the mouth of yours looks to already have centered a bit. Today there’s no evidence of a cut with any of mine, other than pics from a few years ago.

What kind of time frame are you talking about? Was yours a single anemone only a few days ago? If so, that’s VERY interesting! Best of luck, keep the pictures coming!

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Document for sure. I have a few that were clearly cut, the mouths were on the edge of the disk and it was clear in person that it was cut. It took a few weeks to close up and for the mouth to move to the center. It’s interesting that the mouth of yours looks to already have centered a bit. Today there’s no evidence of a cut with any of mine, other than pics from a few years ago.

What kind of time frame are you talking about? Was yours a single anemone only a few days ago? If so, that’s VERY interesting! Best of luck, keep the pictures coming!
I bought last wed it was a nice healthy one close mouth , sticky to the touch put in the display by sat I saw it deflated so I ask orionN and start the Cipro treatment. The second day is normal and the third day in the morning I saw look like 2 anemone so I ask my friend and he said giagantae don't split so here I am.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not get a picture through the side of the tank with possible something to lift the oral plate a little, if needed, so we can clearly see the column and the foot?
Gigantea column resized.jpg
hybrid column.jpg
Blue foot in the sand.jpg

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh I block all the side cause I heard light decrease the strength of Cipro. I'm pretty sure it's giagantae the flesh is very soft not hard like hadoni. Tenacle is sticky but not glue like hadoni and the tenacle is long

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, this is so interesting. I still don't know what I'm seeing. It almost appears as if the mouth is connecting the two, as it looks like the syphonoglyphs are exposed, while at the same time it looks like each side as a fully formed mouth. This species never ceases to amaze me.

Please keep updating us. And great work with the QT process. I know it's a lot of handle, but definitely worth it in the end.

Do you have any photos of when you first added it to your main display, prior to treatment? I'm curious to see if there are any signs of splitting while in the DT. Could it be possible that the transfer from display to QT tank caused a tear or rip that spurred the split?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following. Thank you for sharing.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back