My giagantae anemone split in treatment tank

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could say one thing, and only one thing,

DO NOT FEED THEM FOR AT LEAST THE NEXT MONTH.

If you do, I put all my money on them dying.

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@D-Nak knows what he is talking about. I successfully treated 3 carpet anemones doing exactly what he states. I never feed mine, just light. They do catch some frozen when I feed. Anemones needs clean water for some time after treatment.

TreyC2010

But baby, the fish need it....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank and a great thing to see! Hope the gig is still doing well. Also, send me some of those sps you grew while sleeping. I’ll watch them while you nap.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Haha try my first gig feel like dating the Kardashians. I'm going back to J Lawrence easy care free......
65C674F9-05E4-4F0B-B909-F344E53F35A9.jpeg

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@D-Nak knows what he is talking about. I successfully treated 3 carpet anemones doing exactly what he states. I never feed mine, just light. They do catch some frozen when I feed. Anemones needs clean water for some time after treatment.
Cool I'm just going to watch for another week

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking pretty good. I definitely agree with not feeding. Really you never need to feed them. I never target feed Gigs or Magnifica and they grow fine and look great.

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is no feeding. They don’t NEED food, they need light and flow to do well long term. I’m embarrassed about my tank, it was an emergency tank move so my ex or meathead felon boyfriend didn’t take a hammer to the tank. It’s been like this for a year and a half. Lost most coral but established gigs are very resilient, like DNAK said, established gigs are bulletproof. It moved to my shop that I’m at everyday, but I only have 5 min a day to tend it. I don’t feed because of no time, but I have fed them a couple times in the past couple years, less than 5 times fed in a couple years. They thrive under extreme bright light, spectrum matters. There’s a small purple that isn’t happy, far right bottom blowing a bubble, I don’t have a good spot for it, constant low light. Been a nomad the whole time, hasn’t settled this whole time. They do great with no food and extreme light, but getting them adjusted to extreme light is a process, don’t do it with a new arrival, do everything slowly.

I look at them like this:
New gig arrival-surviving
A gaining health gig-established
A very healthy gig-thriving

I’ve had gigs take a YEAR to become established. One of my gigs isn’t thriving, but only established.

CCAE1844-DAED-421D-A45E-7961D53C070B.png

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is no feeding. They don’t NEED food, they need light and flow to do well long term. I’m embarrassed about my tank, it was an emergency tank move so my ex or meathead felon boyfriend didn’t take a hammer to the tank. It’s been like this for a year and a half. Lost most coral but established gigs are very resilient, like DNAK said, established gigs are bulletproof. It moved to my shop that I’m at everyday, but I only have 5 min a day to tend it. I don’t feed because of no time, but I have fed them a couple times in the past couple years, less than 5 times fed in a couple years. They thrive under extreme bright light, spectrum matters. There’s a small purple that isn’t happy, far right bottom blowing a bubble, I don’t have a good spot for it, constant low light. Been a nomad the whole time, hasn’t settled this whole time. They do great with no food and extreme light, but getting them adjusted to extreme light is a process, don’t do it with a new arrival, do everything slowly.

I’ve had gigs take a YEAR to become established. One of my gigs isn’t thriving, but only established.

Now I know Sps is much easier.....

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

while the nems look great, i dont think i could ever deal with that rats nest of lights you have going on up top there..... that just seems like a fire waiting to happen, not to mention the aesthetics..... :-/

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while the nems look great, i dont think i could ever deal with that rats nest of lights you have going on up top there..... that just seems like a fire waiting to happen, not to mention the aesthetics..... :-/
for my part, the aesthetics of what is in the tank is good enough to excuse

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I know Sps is much easier.....
just want to say you're actually pretty well - all things considered. to have two splits still alive after a couple days is a success in itself. there's a lot of passion from a lot of folks who have a ton of gig experience - i think we are all rooting for you because of how dismal success rates are on fission clones. unlike SPS, gig care is a lot about watching behavior - it's not like SPS where it's generally a balance of light, Ca and alk. So the input you are getting from folks is experience that has been gained the hard way - mostly by messing up and then watching a gig die :( And unlike SPS, most of the time when you make a mistake you don't get to come back from it.... so mostly we are trying to help you skip the dumb decisions we have all made :)

Get past the two week mark, focusing on making as few changes as possible and then you'll be able to post about being in a very small company of folks who have clones ;)

And on review, post 47, it does look to me like the carpet was torn/bacterially damaged that caused the splitting process to begin. Naturally occurring fission is generally very clean "pinching" kind of process. The tissues look ragged to me in that shot....curious as to what others think.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Day 11 clone looks good no sign of deflate or flesh tear. Original in the main tank is still open tight mouth Sticky to the touch so keep observing for 3 more days to complete the treatment observation protocol then go from there.
DFE72002-4127-4A8B-93B2-B53598230DD5.jpeg
3FE03787-0F09-46A6-ABEE-9FD209984A1C.jpeg

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just want to say you're actually pretty well - all things considered. to have two splits still alive after a couple days is a success in itself. there's a lot of passion from a lot of folks who have a ton of gig experience - i think we are all rooting for you because of how dismal success rates are on fission clones. unlike SPS, gig care is a lot about watching behavior - it's not like SPS where it's generally a balance of light, Ca and alk. So the input you are getting from folks is experience that has been gained the hard way - mostly by messing up and then watching a gig die :( And unlike SPS, most of the time when you make a mistake you don't get to come back from it.... so mostly we are trying to help you skip the dumb decisions we have all made :)

I completely agree. Please don't take what I say as negative, just trying to give these nems the best possible means for survival. I've killed about the same amount of gigs during treatment as I have saved. The silver lining is that I've learning something new every time, and just trying to pass that knowledge on. My next challenge is finishing my SPS build. I'll be looking to you for advice!

Get past the two week mark, focusing on making as few changes as possible and then you'll be able to post about being in a very small company of folks who have clones ;)

If both nems make it past two/three weeks, you'll be in good shape. Once acclimated and heathly, you don't have much to worry about.

And on review, post 47, it does look to me like the carpet was torn/bacterially damaged that caused the splitting process to begin. Naturally occurring fission is generally very clean "pinching" kind of process. The tissues look ragged to me in that shot....curious as to what others think.

This is what I was alluding to, which is why I started to referring to it as being ripped. The splitting process is typically a clean process--as you mentioned-- where there is no waste. I remember seeing in one of the videos posted where a chunk of one of the nems was removed. This is indicative of an injury. That said, natural splitting of a gig in captivity has NEVER happened so we really don't know how it works or how it looks, we're just basing this off of what other anemones do (though the skeptic in me tells me that all nems should split in the same manner; there's no logical reason why one species would behave any differently).

So, if I were to guess what really happened, I would say that the nem was somehow damaged during the move from the DT to the QT--possibly the rock it was attached to was sharp and cut the underside of the nem's disc or column. Unless there was careful inspection of the underside, which no one really does because there isn't a need to disturb the anemone to do so, it would've gone undetected.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have kept rose anemone so I assume the gig going through a splitting process. I don't know much about gig all I know is when I wake up I have 2 in the treatment tank until now. And both looking good so split or clone or injure recover I have 2 gig pretty cool for first time keeping gigantae.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Day 12 clone anemone looks bigger. Original stay the same after the 14th day I will put the clone to the anemone lagoon tank.
3F5E5E44-5736-44A1-A49F-01BF4E70B434.jpeg
D1C4FEFD-C6FB-4B1C-87A1-031DD64AF5F6.jpeg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back