OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Day 7 the anemone is complete the splitting process and look pretty good. I will monitor with 50/50 tank and mix water for next 7 days to complete the treatment. I'm so excited to add them to the tank.
70AD0C58-30AA-4001-88F8-3C9FC409454A.jpeg

2 anemone
7905E4DD-6C79-408E-A945-DDB80EB420A4.jpeg

I think this one is the original with mouth
A1451A54-9D57-4C3A-8C07-EAE8854D58E2.jpeg

The clone

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 7 the anemone is complete the splitting process and look pretty good. I will monitor with 50/50 tank and mix water for next 7 days to complete the treatment. I'm so excited to add them to the tank.
70AD0C58-30AA-4001-88F8-3C9FC409454A.jpeg

2 anemone
7905E4DD-6C79-408E-A945-DDB80EB420A4.jpeg

I think this one is the original with mouth
A1451A54-9D57-4C3A-8C07-EAE8854D58E2.jpeg

The clone
Hooray! So they finished the split themselves? Very good. Not gonna lie, I don't love the cloudiness of your water or the posture of the mouth. FWIW, I always take tank water and add antibiotic for my treatment water changes.....something about freshly made saltwater just seems a little harsh for livestock. Just my opinion, not a fact.

If you could, try and get us tight shots of how the mouths look like. Would you say that half of the four siphonglyphs structures went evenly to each of the splits? Hard to tell from some of the pics if it was 50/50 or if one was more a bud off of the main.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all know this is a lot of work but this thread is pretty darn important. I wish you success!

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern at this point is the side where the mouth isn't visible. You'll need to confirm that there is a mouth, for obvious reasons.

The cloudy water is also an issue. It should be clear by now.

Lastly, and I know this is really dumb, but can you somehow confirm that both sides are still alive? You'll want to check to see if the mouth is closing and opening, and if both sides react to being touched. The ability of the nematocysts to fire ("stickiness") is not an indicator, nor is having the foot attached to something.

There have been a couple of times now where during the course of Cipro treatment, the anemone has died but I think it's still alive. My thought is that Cipro somehow preserves the anemone. In other words, the inside of the anemone is dead and begins to decay, but the outside appears okay. Only when the exterior begins to decompose is when I realized it was dead, and this means that the anemone has been dead for a few days. In simpler terms, the anemone dies from the inside out. This is why the water is cloudy and parts of the anemone begin to fall off. The other indicator is when the mouth opens and mesenterial filaments are exposed (and the anemone is removed from the water and it smells terrible).

I would like to doubt that this is the case, but just want to rule out as many different scenarios as we can.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My concern at this point is the side where the mouth isn't visible. You'll need to confirm that there is a mouth, for obvious reasons.

The cloudy water is also an issue. It should be clear by now.

Lastly, and I know this is really dumb, but can you somehow confirm that both sides are still alive? You'll want to check to see if the mouth is closing and opening, and if both sides react to being touched. The ability of the nematocysts to fire ("stickiness") is not an indicator, nor is having the foot attached to something.

There have been a couple of times now where during the course of Cipro treatment, the anemone has died but I think it's still alive. My thought is that Cipro somehow preserves the anemone. In other words, the inside of the anemone is dead and begins to decay, but the outside appears okay. Only when the exterior begins to decompose is when I realized it was dead, and this means that the anemone has been dead for a few days. In simpler terms, the anemone dies from the inside out. This is why the water is cloudy and parts of the anemone begin to fall off. The other indicator is when the mouth opens and mesenterial filaments are exposed (and the anemone is removed from the water and it smells terrible).

I would like to doubt that this is the case, but just want to rule out as many different scenarios as we can.
Last night pictures before water change 50/50. Looks good feel sticky to the touch and each nem appears to have mouth. The right one is the clone and i can see brown dirt coming out from mouth
E6CF21CE-09FE-4989-BE78-06DCAC45849B.jpeg

Last edited:

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize no one has endless resources or time but I would probably put them in diff tanks now. I would hate to see the weak one die and take out the stronger.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I realize no one has endless resources or time but I would probably put them in diff tanks now. I would hate to see the weak one die and take out the stronger.
Only 1 day after treatment don't u want 7 days monitoring. I read most of anemone treatment thread recommend 14 days

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only 1 day after treatment don't u want 7 days monitoring. I read most of anemone treatment thread recommend 14 days

All i meant was keep them in different 10 gallon tanks. But keep doing what you are doing. But it does allow you to modify how you treat them individually. It also allows them to have better water quality since they have more volume per anemone. A gig splitting is a special event!

But like I said. People do not have endless amounts of time and money. Just the salt alone to keep up with one 10 gallon tank for 14 days can cost 40-50 bucks (whatever, you know what I mean). For some people making 20 gallons of 0 tds water per day can be a challenge alone.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They are looking better so I'm not worry if tomorrow still ok I put 1 into my anemone lagoon to test out. If ok I will put the other to my dp.

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are looking better so I'm not worry if tomorrow still ok I put 1 into my anemone lagoon to test out. If ok I will put the other to my dp.
I wouldn’t separate them. They look pretty decent to me. I would suggest waiting until all the brown pellets have all but ceased before moving.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but what I see in the photo from this afternoon is a gig that’s been ripped in half. You can the siphonogyphs exposed as well as actinopharynx. Basically, it’s guts are sticking out. If it doesn’t heal quickly it will die. I would not place it in the DT because when it dies it will foul the tank. I can’t see the condition of the other half, but I suspect that it could look the same.

I really hope I’m wrong!

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that you just moved one into one of your display tanks.. If you can, I would move it back. It’s still expelling dead zoox and this could infect your haddoni If that’s the tank you placed it in.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I see that you just moved one into one of your display tanks.. If you can, I would move it back. It’s still expelling dead zoox and this could infect your haddoni If that’s the tank you placed it in.
Im done with treatment 7 days so the water in the display or treatment tank is the same. The other nem is much better but it stick on the rock and i dont want to put that rock into my display. I have 600g system so im not worry the nem can foul my tank. Just going to see what happened tomorrow morning. Now the other nem is perfect but i have to wait until i can detach from the rock and put in tank

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok well its done each go to their own tank. Both looks good so hopefully tomorrow will tell
This one is the original smaller but mouth is tight
2EC61ECC-EAE2-4B28-ADC1-3C7CAA87D8AE.jpeg

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok well its done each go to their own tank. Both looks good so hopefully tomorrow will tell
This one is the original smaller but mouth is tight
2EC61ECC-EAE2-4B28-ADC1-3C7CAA87D8AE.jpeg

Looks like this one should definitely survive. I’m not sure on the other long term. It’s mouth looked pretty rough in some of the treatment pics and even in the pic in the display. I would think it would be closing up and healing better by now if it was going to. It’s a good sign that they both have some length to their tentacles though. Still not sure I’d call this a natural split. Looks more like one that was damaged during collection and it is doing what it can to survive. Regardless, it’s a cool thing to see and hopefully the one with the more damaged mouth heals up.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like this one should definitely survive. I’m not sure on the other long term. It’s mouth looked pretty rough in some of the treatment pics and even in the pic in the display. I would think it would be closing up and healing better by now if it was going to. It’s a good sign that they both have some length to their tentacles though. Still not sure I’d call this a natural split. Looks more like one that was damaged during collection and it is doing what it can to survive. Regardless, it’s a cool thing to see and hopefully the one with the more damaged mouth heals up.

When I got it the nem is nice healthy one piece no injure. Only when I start treating it then it start to seperate. I kept rose so ik know how anemone split they wedge their foot to the rock and cut them self which this one did. I never touch it or help it split.

Back