My Gig ate my Foxface

Babayaga

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I noticed that my foxface wasn’t swimming around like he usually is and after further inspection I seen part of him in my gig. I’m sorry to lose my foxface but I certainly don’t want to lose my anemone also. My question is now that the anemone is starting to digest the fish and part of the body is sticking out of the nem should I help the anemone by removing the fish or just let it be? Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving
B2C76E81-E33B-464B-881D-94BD255C66E3.jpeg
FD82D769-DEDE-4DA8-9ABE-1C05B8C5553B.jpeg
E7D95EAF-1115-4A88-AE38-EFB0D38C6C16.jpeg

OP
OP
Babayaga

Babayaga

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would wager your foxface died of something unrelated and it drifted to your opportunistic nem . i personally would probably recover what remains just to avoid a nutrient spike.
The foxface was actually a new addition and just came out of QT. I didn’t see any sign of illness but maybe he just didn’t realize the danger of the anemone ‍. Not sure but thank you for the advice

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve what's the play here?

Don't know what it is about Fox Faces but they sure do become easy meals for carpets. I stopped adding one to my nem system after a specific carpet ate the third one.
They like to eat nem poop, and are easily spooked into nems. Had quite a few over the years become food. Healthy and no issues, but one wrong move and they become food.

I currently have only 1 I. The 180 and so far, so good. He has been burned by the ltas numerous times, but has managed to avoid the small carpets, for now lol.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gigantea are fish eater. Normally fish don’t get anywhere near it but spooked fish and fish in tight quarters are much more likely to fall prey to a Carpet, Haddoni or Gigantea.
I lost new fish to carpet, but normal long term resident of the tank do not fall prey it my carpets. But then that were how they become long term in the first place.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The foxface was actually a new addition and just came out of QT. I didn’t see any sign of illness but maybe he just didn’t realize the danger of the anemone ‍. Not sure but thank you for the advice
New addition and more than likely got spooked and ran into it. All it takes is a light in a room to be turned on and the new guy probably ran for the hills and hit the nem.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got what was left of it out of the anemone’s mouth. It wasn’t hard to remove so I don’t think I did any harm to the nem. Thank you everyone for all the help.
image.jpg
If easy to remove, all good. Also, if it did digest some, expect a good poo. Even the slime coat from the fish and the excretion from the nem will result in a big string of poo. No need to freak out when you see it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 64 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back