My Goniopora is looking horrible.

Larry101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this goniopora 3 weeks ago and it has really settled in nicely, or at least I thought. On Thursday night i did a water change and on Friday the polyps did come out but barely. I tested everything here it is: Nitrates: 2.5, Phosphates: 0, Specific Gravity: 1.025, Temp: 78 degrees, Alkalinity: 7.8, Calcium: 440. The problem I saw was that the phosphate test (salifert) was coming back as 0. I fed all of the corals in hopes that the phosphate would jump up. Now today the goniopora isn't even opening, what should I do?

IMG_3200.jpeg IMG_3266.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
These do best mid tank under moderate light and water flow.
Nitrate may be affecting is as it is getting high in your tank. . . . Desired is < .025 - .05 and with your readings , there should be presence of phos. They actually need a little phos in their water

Mag 1300
ph 8.1 - 8.3
Phos < .04
Ammonia < .03

Feed at least 2X per week.

OP
OP
L

Larry101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These do best mid tank under moderate light and water flow.
Nitrate may be affecting is as it is getting high in your tank. . . . Desired is < .025 - .05 and with your readings , there should be presence of phos. They actually need a little phos in their water

Mag 1300
ph 8.1 - 8.3
Phos < .04
Ammonia < .03

Feed at least 2X per week.
2.5ppm of nitrates is high?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

paul01609

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on test kit as well with a percentage of error either way

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Really? I know plenty of tanks that are thriving that are well above 2.5ppm in nitrates.
It differs. Based on volume, type of coral and inhabitants and filtration

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates are fine. What are you using to test phosphates? Depending on the kit resolution results can be worthless. 0.3 on a Hanna meter still reads 0 on an API kit. The only thing Goni's need compared to other lps is feeding , preferably target feeding (most lps benefit from direct feeding but some Gonis may require it). Goniopower and reef roids were developed specifically for goni feeding back when they didn't do so well in the hobby. The other thing they need is being selected from the right source. Aquacultured best, australian usually ok, anywhere else not so much..

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Larry101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine get ticked off very easily and will close up for a few days at a time with any parameter fluctuation. Anything change drastically with lighting, flow or parameters?
I think that might have happened. My salinity may have shifted from the water change a bit. After 2 days of being closed the goniopora is starting to extend its polyps.

Attachments

• goni.jpg
    goni.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 36

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Close to zero is recommended just not 0. For a reef tank 2.5 ppm is high, yes.
That’s news to me. I’ve been rocking nitrate at 30-50 for over two years and all of my acros, LPS, and my Goni are always happy. My Goni went from small frag to large baseball and I’ve grown acros from one inch frags to colonies bigger than my hand.

I know plenty of people that have great tanks with NO3 >20. Now, when my PO4 climbs, my acros start looking bad, but I know others that do just fine with high PO4.

So to the OP, in my opinion and or experience....NO3 ain’t your problem. 2.5 is nothing and I’d even say it’s low. How are you people even measuring to the nearest .25 ppm? Is your test kit even that accurate?

JediCruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s news to me. I’ve been rocking nitrate at 30-50 for over two years and all of my acros, LPS, and my Goni are always happy. My Goni went from small frag to large baseball and I’ve grown acros from one inch frags to colonies bigger than my hand.

I know plenty of people that have great tanks with NO3 >20. Now, when my PO4 climbs, my acros start looking bad, but I know others that do just fine with high PO4.

So to the OP, in my opinion and or experience....NO3 ain’t your problem. 2.5 is nothing and I’d even say it’s low. How are you people even measuring to the nearest .25 ppm? Is your test kit even that accurate?
Yeah, as I mentioned in a different post, I don’t even have that low of Nitrates. Glad to hear that that way if thinking is no longer considered truth. I won’t be chasing that as I start to add more corals to my tank (still starting out).

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, as I mentioned in a different post, I don’t even have that low of Nitrates. Glad to hear that that way if thinking is no longer considered truth. I won’t be chasing that as I start to add more corals to my tank (still starting out).
Word. There aren’t too many hard and fast rules in this hobby. I was more surprised the @vetteguy53081 put out 2.5 as the max NO3 like it’s the law since he’s been around the block and then around again. There are plenty of successful tanks with 10-15x that level of NO3. With that said, I’d love to lower my nitrates to <10. I’m just struggling to pull it off with my bio load (mostly due to my huge eel).

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back