My Gramma rarely comes out and is fading in color

Joelb922

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 gallon reef that's about 6 months old and ever since I moved my Gramma and clown from my 10 gallon( where the Gramma was out all the time) to the 30, he hides except to come out to eat, and I noticed the colors right where the yellow meets the purple that the scales are turning white, still eats, I'm just concerned that he's too stressed, I have a clownfish, cleaner shrimp, sharknosed goby, few hermits, and a few snails, parameters were all in good range, except for magnesium, it was a tad high(1500 with salifert kit). Everyone else looks happy and healthy, any info helps, thanks.
Happy reefing

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
When it stops eating...then start worrying....until then leave it alone. It will come out in time. My royal gramma in my 30 gallon hides 75% of the time and the main time I see it out is feeding time.

OP
OP
Joelb922

Joelb922

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it stops eating...then start worrying....until then leave it alone. It will come out in time. My royal gramma in my 30 gallon hides 75% of the time and the main time I see it out is feeding time.
Okay, I'll keep a close eye on him, I also just recently noticed large almost white cotton ball looking things on my sharknosed goby, it doesn't look like any pictures of ick I've seen, but he still swims normally and eats.

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
White cotton ball things could be cotton fungus which is usually a secondary infection after the fish gets damaged somehow. API's Pimafix is made to treat cotton fungus in saltwater fish.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 gallon reef that's about 6 months old and ever since I moved my Gramma and clown from my 10 gallon( where the Gramma was out all the time) to the 30, he hides except to come out to eat, and I noticed the colors right where the yellow meets the purple that the scales are turning white, still eats, I'm just concerned that he's too stressed, I have a clownfish, cleaner shrimp, sharknosed goby, few hermits, and a few snails, parameters were all in good range, except for magnesium, it was a tad high(1500 with salifert kit). Everyone else looks happy and healthy, any info helps, thanks.
Happy reefing

@Joelb922

Moving everything to a new tank could shake up your inhabitants up a bit as the environment is new. It may come out more as time goes by. But as has already been stated, as long as its eating, don't fret.

Some other advice: When posting about problems, it is nice to say that "parameters are in good range". But in my opinion, whether your parameters are good depends on what you keep in the tank. That being said, I do believe your issue is the stress of moving everything to a new tank.

You also mention discoloration. Issues such as these are best identified through photos.

OP
OP
Joelb922

Joelb922

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Joelb922

Moving everything to a new tank could shake up your inhabitants up a bit as the environment is new. It may come out more as time goes by. But as has already been stated, as long as its eating, don't fret.

Some other advice: When posting about problems, it is nice to say that "parameters are in good range". But in my opinion, whether your parameters are good depends on what you keep in the tank. That being said, I do believe your issue is the stress of moving everything to a new tank.

You also mention discoloration. Issues such as these are best identified through photos.
I tried to post photos of my gramma in the tank but they wouldn't attach for some reason, thank you for reaching out, I'm still new to forums and still getting the hang of things lol

OP
OP
Joelb922

Joelb922

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White cotton ball things could be cotton fungus which is usually a secondary infection after the fish gets damaged somehow. API's Pimafix is made to treat cotton fungus in saltwater fish.
Good to know, they ended up going away on their own, and he seemed perfectly active, but because of my carelessness with an oversized flipper scraper, he is no longer an inhabitant in my 30 gallon.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back