This was mine....
pycnogonid-2-1.jpg

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
loves to eat zoas and can possibly multiply faster than you'd like,,,my biggest fear too,,,I only have zoas

DereksReef77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These bast###s wiped out my zoas before I realized what I was dealing with. Dipped everything in bayer 15 minutes but it didn't kill these guys. Manual removal for me then moved to different tank after dipping again. Added wrasses and am breaking the original tank down and starting over.

20161107_210353.jpg
20161107_210334.jpg
20161107_210247.jpg

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
loves to eat zoas and can possibly multiply faster than you'd like,,,my biggest fear too,,,I only have zoas

It actually eats all sorts of corals... anything it can "stab" and suck the juice out of.

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really,,never thought that but I only keep zoas and one frogspawn coral..I would rather never want to see one of those spiders alive with my own eyes..

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I listed the references to that factoid in another thread or possibly PM. Let me see if I can dig it up. Zoas seem to be a fav of some, but if you take away the zoas they will not starve.... ooooooh no, they just set their nasty sights on other stuff. Their life cycle can be over 100 days as well, for some species. Nice huh? Bayer will not get rid of them all. It will kill some outright, will slow others, but then others will survive treatment.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and detritus and bacteria depending on season.........

They specialize in certain prey items, but they are obligate for none.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope y'all don't mind if I quote my own self here from another thread.....

"They are the cockroaches of the sea. They can adapt to eating anything. I don't know if this diagram was "good" to see.

cockaroaches.png

Soler-Membrives, A., Rossi, S., & Munilla, T. (2011). Feeding ecology of Ammothella longipes (Arthropoda: Pycnogonida) in the Mediterranean Sea: A fatty acid biomarker approach. Estuarine Coastal and Shelf Science, 92(4), 588-597."

And umm..... I was wrong about the life cycle. I remember now... Some live up to 9 years....... NINE YEARS!!!

Tomaschko, K., Wilhelm, E., & Bückmann, D. (1997). Growth and reproduction of Pycnogonum litorale (Pycnogonida) under laboratory conditions. Marine Biology, 129(4), 595-600.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_spider

They are not arachnids.

There is only one species that is hermaphroditic, so "more than likley" this one isn't doing any procreating.

But he does deserve a special home....maybe an anemone tank!

(emphasis mine)

Sea spiders either walk along the bottom with their stilt-like legs or swim just above it using an umbrella pulsing motion.[4] Most are carnivorous and feed on cnidarians, sponges, polychaetes and bryozoans. Sea spiders are generally predators or scavengers. They will often insert their proboscis, a long appendage used for digestion and sucking food into its gut, into a sea anemone and suck out nourishment. The sea anemone, large in comparison to its predator, almost always survives this ordeal.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back