My GSP closed up and it has not started to open back up

Greatdane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a biocube 32, and my GSP has just started to close up and it has not opened back up at all since last night. All of our other coral is doing fine, my ricordia just dropped 4 other ricordeas, all my zoas are growing, my palythoa is hard to tell it’s growth anymore the stalks are so close together we have 2 torches that are wide open everyday and we have a waving hands that is growing a lot. I have no idea why the GSP would do this do you?

55321E2C-D901-4530-AD28-ADC02F8E6FEC.jpeg D7FFC9CC-0ECF-417E-B2B9-8DB5D22062C3.jpeg

OP
OP
Greatdane

Greatdane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a biocube 32, and my GSP has just started to close up and it has not opened back up at all since last night. All of our other coral is doing fine, my ricordia just dropped 4 other ricordeas, all my zoas are growing, my palythoa is hard to tell it’s growth anymore the stalks are so close together we have 2 torches that are wide open everyday and we have a waving hands that is growing a lot. I have no idea why the GSP would do this do you?

55321E2C-D901-4530-AD28-ADC02F8E6FEC.jpeg D7FFC9CC-0ECF-417E-B2B9-8DB5D22062C3.jpeg
Im
Not sure why it did the emergency thing it’s not really a emergency

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure that there are no amphipods or algae on it. If either one of those is on it, then remove it from the coral. It may just need some time to open back up. My gsp likes to close up for no reason at all sometimes, and then it opens back up later. Have you done any tank maintenance in the past day or so that could have irritated it?

OP
OP
Greatdane

Greatdane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure that there are no amphipods or algae on it. If either one of those is on it, then remove it from the coral. It may just need some time to open back up. My gsp likes to close up for no reason at all sometimes, and then it opens back up later. Have you done any tank maintenance in the past day or so that could have irritated it?
We took a turkey Baster to it to blow the algae off that was 2 days ago when it closed but opened back for the first time

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We took a turkey Baster to it to blow the algae off that was 2 days ago when it closed but opened back for the first time
I’m a little confused. Are you saying that after you basted it, it opened back up for a little while, but then closed back up? Or are you saying that it has opened back up since you posted the thread, and is currently open? My green star polyps have closed up after I blasted them before, but they always open up after a couple days and are just fine.

jcbasile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine closed for about a week and wouldn’t open, along with my pulsing Xenia which decided to fully close too. My Duncan, zoas and candy canes were doing fine like yours. After about a week and water changes the GSP opened fully. I also started dosing Kent’s iodide because soft corals use up lots of that so I’d look into testing for that and possibly dosing some as well if time alone doesn’t fix it.

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My GSP was closed for days and opened up out of nowhere. I'm sure it will be fine. Test your parameters but don't mess with the coral or mess with the tank too much. Stability is key.

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My gsp stayed closed for 3 weeks and my water parameters were perfect, but when it opened up it grew insanely fast.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back