My hermit crab "cult" meetings have reached comical levels!

Powahfull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my tank may 2nd first thing in to see how things went were 6 cerith snails and 6 red legged hermits as advice from the LFS employee. Within the first week I had (still do) 1 cerith snail and 5 cerith hermits. Well I got new empty shells all different shapes and sizes 8 to be exact to avoid that again has worked so far.

I found at night they would go to the highest point of the live rock and stack on top of each other biggest on the bottom smallest on the top I at first thought they were up to something sinister! Through much research I finally found and article that this is their way of agreeing who gets the next biggest shell (bottom) then all the other hermits are agreeing to move into the shell they are on top of.

Well flipper as I call him he just goes around flipping the other hermits over seeing if someone is home then leaves them on their back luckily they are cerith and easily right themselves. Has moved into a very big astera looks amazing when he stops it's just like a snail completely protected! The second biggest has chosen a good size turbo shell I think it's too big for him he appears to struggle moving around with it just like a drunk turbo snail! The third biggest has the longest cerith shell now.

Watching these 3 hermits trying to decide who is the alpha because they are all different shell types is just like watching the 3 stooges. I give them credit they do try someone always falls down about a foot lol then they all wait for him to crawl back up and they try to fit another way. The other 3 smaller hermits don't even bother I swear they just watch eating popcorn!

Has this happened to anyone else or something similar these hermits are hilarious!

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great story! Can't say that it has happened to me but boy ... I hope you post video.
Welcome to the salty family!!
Three Stooges Dancing GIF

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my tank may 2nd first thing in to see how things went were 6 cerith snails and 6 red legged hermits as advice from the LFS employee. Within the first week I had (still do) 1 cerith snail and 5 cerith hermits. Well I got new empty shells all different shapes and sizes 8 to be exact to avoid that again has worked so far.

I found at night they would go to the highest point of the live rock and stack on top of each other biggest on the bottom smallest on the top I at first thought they were up to something sinister! Through much research I finally found and article that this is their way of agreeing who gets the next biggest shell (bottom) then all the other hermits are agreeing to move into the shell they are on top of.

Well flipper as I call him he just goes around flipping the other hermits over seeing if someone is home then leaves them on their back luckily they are cerith and easily right themselves. Has moved into a very big astera looks amazing when he stops it's just like a snail completely protected! The second biggest has chosen a good size turbo shell I think it's too big for him he appears to struggle moving around with it just like a drunk turbo snail! The third biggest has the longest cerith shell now.

Watching these 3 hermits trying to decide who is the alpha because they are all different shell types is just like watching the 3 stooges. I give them credit they do try someone always falls down about a foot lol then they all wait for him to crawl back up and they try to fit another way. The other 3 smaller hermits don't even bother I swear they just watch eating popcorn!

Has this happened to anyone else or something similar these hermits are hilarious!
I love hermits, they have such cool colonies. when the biggest switches shells all the others will form a similar stack to trade shells

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back