My Hermit Crabs seem to want to murder each other

Hugo Garcia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, how is it going? So I’ve had this 2 electric blue hermit crab on my tank for over a month, and there seems to be enough shells for both of them to swap to, but lately it seemed that they are hunting each other inside the tank. When I’m home I’m constantly having to move them we’re they are because they always end up fighting and I’m afraid one of them will ended up dead. Any ideas of what to do? Do you think they are just playing, or they want to kill eachother? Thanks guys

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Unless there's a lot of algae to eat, they're going to be knocking off each other (be so lucky) or your snails (more likely). I think in the wild they may actually specialize more in carrion vs algae.

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hermits fought all of the time. I ended up removing them and sticking to snails, as I couldn't confirm that they weren't picking on a few corals as well (even the blue or red legged ones).

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue leg hermits are sociopaths, they kill anything they can. Scarlet hermits and the darker red guys seem to be more peaceful bit seem to hold their own against the blue guys in my experience. I do love my blue leg hermits and would not get rid of them, i just add a few more cuc mates/snacks/new homes every 3-4 months.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back