My "hey what's another tank" 72 bow reef build.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about 8 months ago I bought a 220, and got a ton of dry rock they I intend to clean up re cure, and sell off.. earlier this week the couple that sold it to me contacted me saying they had more rock if I wanted it. They had offered it to me for 100 bucks more when I bought it, being to ga branch and shelf it was well worth it, but I just couldn't swing it. Well now it was in their way, and was free! Got it today! I might have a dry rock hoarding problem. First 2 are what I got today, second 2 is what I had on hand from original purchase. Can't wait to lay it all out, and pick what I'll keep for this build.
IMG_20200201_144009.jpg
IMG_20200201_144016.jpg
IMG_20200201_144031.jpg
IMG_20200201_144104.jpg

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a bit since my last post. Its birthday money time, which means its time to buy the next piece of this.

Ive also decided to break down my 75 gallon reef ready freshwater tank, and get that posted for extra budget money.

I have made my choices on what im going to get for the rest of the gear.

Controller: Thanks to @madweazl and all ive now researched, im taking his suggestion and going with a Reef Angel Star for this build.

Ill be using the birthday money to get this on order in the next couple days. ive got a few more modules i want for this build, but ill add in the 12 volt DC fan expansion, More advanced water level expansion, and the Expansion hub after i get everything else to at least get the tank cycling. I did talk to the owner, and ill be getting a humidity module too, so i can kick my fans on in my canopy based on the humidity inside.

The head unit has a built in leak detection port, so ill have to order a rope leak detector attachment too, and im off to the races.

Now for powerheads, im going to to 2 of the Reef breeders RP-Ms. should be plenty of flow at least for now, and i can always add a 3rd on the back wall at a later date.

For the Fuge, im going with this guy from Tunze

1583503675569.png

I dont have a giant area for a fuge, a reactor ( tunze reactor is really nice) is just too expensive for this budget, and i want lots of pods, so traditional fuge it is.

The hardest bit thus far is finding a canopy for a bowfront tank.

I was on Fish Tanks Direct, and noticed they had one for bowfronts, that say it will only fit my model of tank, so i have a email into sales to get that process started too.

ill post more when the Reef Angel is ordered and in my hands. slowly getting there for sure. My daughter and her fiance have found an apartment, so the room renovation wont be far off, then the tank can go up. Just trying to get everything on hand, and not drop bank all at once.

Slow and steady for sure!

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO its official! Birthday money gone, and the Reef Angel Star is now on order!

Now im down to a pair of powerheads that wont break the bank to bad, and a fuge light, oh and that blessed canopy!

Talked to fish tank direct, and the cost of the canopy is far too high alone, so back to the drawing board on having a canopy built locally by someone...

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the Payment receipt, and the tracking number from Reef Angel over the weekend. Before we know it, ill have it in hand. Still working on wife for side cabinets to flank the tank, one being for equipment, but we will see. I may end up putting it in my empty space to the right in the stand, and get some acrylic splash guards for stuff. It comes with 3 temp probes, and im getting a humidity module so i can then control fans in canopy and sump area to suck out all the humid air etc so that should help too.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's here! Super stoked for this! I've got lots of plans for controlling this tank, a few more modules I'm after but the main unit and my humidity module are here! Happy birthday to me!! So glad I went open source as I love to tinker! Down to a pair of powerheads and a fuge light, and well the canopy... getting close!!
IMG_20200311_175938.jpg
IMG_20200311_175946.jpg
IMG_20200311_182302.jpg
IMG_20200311_182158.jpg
IMG_20200311_182341.jpg
IMG_20200311_182420.jpg

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sold a few things on here, and got everything shipped. Tore down a 75 gallon freshwater setup here at the house and sold that off. Took my proceeds and ordered the first powerhead for the new build.

Decided to go with reef octpus octopulse 2s. I had enough to order 1 and the ice cap y cable for 0 to 10 control. I figure if I'm gunna be locked in the house for a few weeks, might as well have gear to play with and test.

Now if I can sell remaining items, I can. Order the second powerhead and fuge light.

Getting so close I can smell the fresh saltwater brewing!

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp... Wife is getting antsy so she sent me to the Lowe's tonight. Paint samples, sander, joint compound etc. Also ordered a BRS filter replacement kit for the rodi, as in part of this. Her cube is moving to my office. First up will be fixing some spots and feathering in some imperfections in the walls, sanding, then to fix a spot o. The ceiling, paint the walls, then pull this carpet out and in with new flooring. Once that is done, I can start setting up the tank.

In other news, I've talked my wife I to side cabinets for the doser and reef angel setup. Can't wait!!

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sanding is about complete, 2 Brs Orders arrive today, Thanks BRS for still shipping! One of these is the RODI replacement kit so i can get my wifes cube tank moved to my office, to then pull out the carpet from the living room.

The other ill post about later which is new build related.

Cut a hole in the ceiling that used to be above the old tank that needed to be patched. With that tank gone, it was so easy to do. Ill get that patched asap, and cube moved.

Once that happens, the carpet can come out, and we can pick up the paint, and flooring we need to start putting the room back together.

Its nice at times like this that were in, to be able to do these things for yourself. it saves the cost, extra people in the house, and keeps us busy.

Ill need to source a couple side cabinets, for storage and equipment, and a place to put our amazon echo, that ill be programming the Reef Angel to talk to so i can get tank reports and such from it, initiate feed modes while i get food from the fridge etc.

Were still getting really close for sure. Still got a couple items to sell to get the money for the last 3 Reef Angel modules id like to add, and the last 2 items besides a canopy for the tank.

Hoping to carve out time to go through rock, and choose what will go in the 72 this weekend, so i can start livening the rest, and get it ready to be sold to help fund startup costs.

More on this later :)

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Proof that though this all Bulk Reef Supply are still amazing. I sold some stuff, and I ordered 1 of the flow pumps I need, and a Y cable for 0 to 10 control for Reef Angel.

Went with the Octo octopulse 2. I'll order the second as soon as I sell another piece of old gear.

IMG_20200320_090508.jpg

Super stoked this is here. Will unbox if later and check it out more.

The room is coming apart still. Patched a spot in the ceiling that needed to be last night, and got that re drywalled, and mudded/taped. Will sand it later and see if we need another coat. After work today I'll be moving my wife's biocube to my office so we can rip the carpet out and get ready to put the room back together.

As I work today I get to listen to the sweet sounds of water heating and churning in my brute trashcan preparing for the move.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On this episode of " social distancing with a purpose" The cube got moved to my office on friday night, and that went swimmingly! Tank looks great.

Spent saturday ripping out carpet, and painting the walls with 2 coats. Sunday we prepared the subfloor, and laid new flooring. floor now matches what we had in the offices. Within the week, ill have the moulding painted and in, and then upstairs comes the tank and stand so i can start mulling about on it more, measuring for canopy, and or a light rig, and picking up the last couple things we need to finish this build short of sand and or heater. I need to unbox my one powerhead too, and start checking it out so i can make sure thats the way i do want to go, but been too busy. More to come later.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we've been busy! Got new paint and new flooring in! Here's the wall the tanks going on.
IMG_20200324_144810.jpg

Now that that is done, wife wants to start putting the house back together. New dining room set on order and window coverings, so she asked me to start bringing the build upstairs and Into place! Still a few pieces to get, and find a cheap yet nice looking side cabinet for my controller.

It's happening!!
IMG_20200325_194038.jpg
IMG_20200325_194038.jpg
IMG_20200325_194055.jpg
IMG_20200325_194102.jpg

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much of an update today, other than the ta k is our of the basement, and on the stand. Will need to get it all settled on the wall next, make sure it's completely level, I can't take a level photo to save my life LOL, but it's one step closer!
IMG_20200329_120343.jpg

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest update. Captains log LOL! Found a canopy builder. Traced the tank bottom so he could get a template of how it will need to be shaped. Asking for 12 inch interior height. He will start building this weekend. Dropping me by some pieces of wood stained so i can make sure the stain he will use on it will match the factory stand as close as possible. Moved the tank out a inch or 2 from the wall, and found perfect level pretty much, so more to play there. Still hounding the wife for a controller cabinet of some kind, so chime in if you got eye pleasing ideas for that!

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Met with the Canopy builder ( from safe distances believe me LOL) and down payment paid. I should have photos to share of the build by sunday at the latest. He will then spend the week finishing it, with Black stain to match the stock stand. I should have it ready to go by next weekend. Once that happens, i can start planning controller placement and such. Getting there!

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started working though the rock and getting it all in bleach bath. The stuff on the old couch is what I'll use to scape the 72. It's in my brute can, while the other stuff I'll sell is in other containers so I can tell it apart. One step closer.

IMG_20200404_151204.jpg IMG_20200404_154546.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back