My "hey what's another tank" 72 bow reef build.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is, first day with my new 75.
I posted this on another thread, someone commented on me keeping a YT in my 46g bowfront.
You can all cancel the Tang Police. This is the first day of my 75g. All that you see was transferred from my 46g bowfront that I had running for four years now. Yellow is super happy and was exploring every inch of tank. I can't believe all this was in a 46. I have to use a cannister filter until I clean my sump and get that back together. Oh I added 5 Green chromis before adding rocks, corals and other fish. Eventually I will raise the rocks with coral on them somehow, to make room for more.:)

75g 1.jpg 75g 2.jpg 2020 2.jpg
Looks good!!

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the sudden delay om things. Tanks still cycling, but I spent a few days in the hospital with a gallbladder removal and blocked bile duct.. I wish that pain on no one...now that I'm home and on light duty, no more than 5 lbs lift at one time, I'm surely happy I chose the brs 4 month cycle... By the time I'm back to normal, the tank should be cycled and ready for first fish. Now we just keep dosing the good bacteria as I recover. I can't say enough for a tank controller tho. I was able to make sure my ATO code was working for my wife, and that heat and ph were reading well. I'm now sold on tank controllers forever! So nice to have that control. I'll add in a webcam eventually so I can walk people through things if needed and check in, but all in due time. Got to prep for the incoming medical bills.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a great thread. My favorite tank was my first... 45 gallon bowfront. The size was too small, no doubt. That said, you can't beat the bowfront! I was going to order the same tank you just bought before I found a 90 gallon used. I could not pass up all of the gear and tank for $500. Now, I hate the 90 and I'm going custom. I love love love your bow front.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a great thread. My favorite tank was my first... 45 gallon bowfront. The size was too small, no doubt. That said, you can't beat the bowfront! I was going to order the same tank you just bought before I found a 90 gallon used. I could not pass up all of the gear and tank for $500. Now, I hate the 90 and I'm going custom. I love love love your bow front.
Thanks so much! I had a 90, and it was fun, but this seems the perfect.size for me. Couple more months and we will have lights on and a few fish. Getting close! 72 seemed like a good size for us in this spot to allow it to be a show stopper, and not be a maintenance nightmare.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the most important discovery in reefing is learning what makes the hobby enjoyable for each person. For me, personally, I really miss that long run for the fish to swim and what made me hate the 90 is the difficulty to reach the bottom. In a perfect world, I'd have a six foot long bowfront.... but then I'd have no money for fish. LOL
I'm happy that you have found your zen place. I look forward to following your reef as it develops.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the most important discovery in reefing is learning what makes the hobby enjoyable for each person. For me, personally, I really miss that long run for the fish to swim and what made me hate the 90 is the difficulty to reach the bottom. In a perfect world, I'd have a six foot long bowfront.... but then I'd have no money for fish. LOL
I'm happy that you have found your zen place. I look forward to following your reef as it develops.
I can't agree more. The 90 reaching the bottom was a pain, the 220 was too deep and fish only. My wife's 32 is great but, hinders what fish I can have. This 72 is the perfect depth. I can get to the bottom without a struggle. Enough rock to make a nice looking rock scape and to do its job. I'm excited for it to develop and get back to loving the hobby, instead of hating the maintenance...

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested ammonia. Shrimp is completely gone now, I had planned on taking it out days ago, but ended up in the hospital. We're at 8 days or so of actual cycling with good bacteria. Ammonia is down to. .25 to .5 slowly getting there!!

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a bit of tank poking today. Over the last few days I've listened for the ATO. It comes on then goes off. It's keeping Salinity, but I think it may run too often, so I made a quick mod to not splash the ato water as much to create a wave that would upset the float valve.

Just se leftover PVC pipe. Good part is this larger so it cant create a siphon. I cut holes in the bottom to push the water to the bottom of the chamber too. Should help, and reduce the splash noise of ato too.
IMG_20201018_152341.jpg

I'm going to refill the ato resivor Tonight, and the clock starts. I want to get a general idea of how long In between fillips. Tanks been. Up with water for like 11 days, and I haven't had to fill it yet... Now that could of been because of what I fixed today so I don't trust my timeline yet. I'll be exstatic if I can get 5 to 7 days.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More tinkering today. Dialed the return pump back a bit to get closer to the 4x turnover rate. I learned I was too high. This made the system a bit quieter as well. Tanks still cycling, so this is what keeps me entertained...

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered a Nyos Nitrate kit. Couldnt get on the Hanna Nitrate game, as it just was too complex i guess for me. I always use up my API that is still good on cycling, once thats done ill use the Nyos to test weekly etc. I still need a CAL kit, but ill get a red sea for that to complete my test kits, but it will be a while before i need that, therefore prepping for the incoming med bills, ill hold off.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered a Nyos Nitrate kit. Couldnt get on the Hanna Nitrate game, as it just was too complex i guess for me. I always use up my API that is still good on cycling, once thats done ill use the Nyos to test weekly etc. I still need a CAL kit, but ill get a red sea for that to complete my test kits, but it will be a while before i need that, therefore prepping for the incoming med bills, ill hold off.
I use and like the Nyos Nitrate kit myself.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use and like the Nyos Nitrate kit myself.
I have a bit of the API left thats due to expire next year. Im using that up while it cycles, to at least show i have nitrates etc, then ill switch to the Nyos. For Alk i have a Hanna, for Phos, i have a Hanna, for Mag i use salifert. CAL ill use Red Sea as its better than an old API i had. Im holding off on it as i wont have coral in this tank for several more months.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bit of the API left thats due to expire next year. Im using that up while it cycles, to at least show i have nitrates etc, then ill switch to the Nyos. For Alk i have a Hanna, for Phos, i have a Hanna, for Mag i use salifert. CAL ill use Red Sea as its better than an old API i had. Im holding off on it as i wont have coral in this tank for several more months.
Sounds good, I would compare the two just for the record.

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through the entire thread. I understand the patience and equipment gathering process and am currently going through it myself. I purchased my 90gallon rr 4.5 years ago to finally get it right and use a sump, ati, skimmer etc after doing a 46 bowfront for a few years with a hob filter.

Life gets in the way and this pandemic, along with water damage last spring calling for a renovation of this room, also let me tear apart this room to rebuild from it scratch including custom cabinets and stand for the tank that was collecting dust for 4 years in the basement lol. Laat thing I wanted to do was have to move this large tank after setting it up.

I'll say I love the bowfronts as does the wife but getting flow right and scraping the front glass made me go 90. The 72 bow was my dream tank but I couldnt sign up for that again. Beautiful build, I'm currently making water to finally fill up mine that I've been working on since February.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through the entire thread. I understand the patience and equipment gathering process and am currently going through it myself. I purchased my 90gallon rr 4.5 years ago to finally get it right and use a sump, ati, skimmer etc after doing a 46 bowfront for a few years with a hob filter.

Life gets in the way and this pandemic, along with water damage last spring calling for a renovation of this room, also let me tear apart this room to rebuild from it scratch including custom cabinets and stand for the tank that was collecting dust for 4 years in the basement lol. Laat thing I wanted to do was have to move this large tank after setting it up.

I'll say I love the bowfronts as does the wife but getting flow right and scraping the front glass made me go 90. The 72 bow was my dream tank but I couldnt sign up for that again. Beautiful build, I'm currently making water to finally fill up mine that I've been working on since February.
Its hard to explain, but the timing all seemed to work out. Tank was filled 2 weeks ago tomorrow, so if i did my math right, im likely half way ish through cycle.

The 90 came down as i got the 220 ( since sold it and i dont feel sorry about it) which was the same thing for us. I wasn't putting a tank up until the room got remodeled and new floors etc. the 90 is an amazing footprint. I loved mine.

The 72 was a compromise. I wanted a RR Reefer, she hates rimless, i didn't want run of the mill, so 72 bow was what we came to, and it was her gift to me. Its fun now that its wet, and running. I Know ill have to adjust flow etc, but hey keeps me in touch with the tank right?

The biggest thing she asked for was for a clean look. My 90 was great, but it wasn't quiet, or clean looking. The inside was, but the ATO bucket hung out next to it, and you could hear it always. This new tank is fairly quiet, and everything is in the stand. Its just a higher class build than my first i guess.

Cant wait to see more of your build, as a 90 to me is a great size! i find for me im most happy in the 70-90 gallon range. Doesn't take a million dollars to fill it, and doesn't cost me a fortune in RODI and salt...

The goal right now is to let it finish out cycling, then ill add my first couple fish. Lights will then go on at the 2 month or so mark. Since the holidays are approaching anyways, ill leave it alone till after the holidays before i add anything else.

It will be nice to have a tank upstairs again. Im learning alot on this one too, as its the first time with a tank controller, and with controllable lights via app etc.

There's been so much negative over the last year, the tank build has given me something to look forward to. Whether it was selling something to buy something for the tank, or researching a piece of gear etc. It really was my silver lining. I set a plan when i first got the tank last October, and it was to have fish in it by this Christmas. It looks like ill be there unless cycle decides to go like 3 months...

I feel the tank compliments the space, and doesn't detract from it. One day at a time in this hobby right?

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hard to explain, but the timing all seemed to work out. Tank was filled 2 weeks ago tomorrow, so if i did my math right, im likely half way ish through cycle.

The 90 came down as i got the 220 ( since sold it and i dont feel sorry about it) which was the same thing for us. I wasn't putting a tank up until the room got remodeled and new floors etc. the 90 is an amazing footprint. I loved mine.

The 72 was a compromise. I wanted a RR Reefer, she hates rimless, i didn't want run of the mill, so 72 bow was what we came to, and it was her gift to me. Its fun now that its wet, and running. I Know ill have to adjust flow etc, but hey keeps me in touch with the tank right?

The biggest thing she asked for was for a clean look. My 90 was great, but it wasn't quiet, or clean looking. The inside was, but the ATO bucket hung out next to it, and you could hear it always. This new tank is fairly quiet, and everything is in the stand. Its just a higher class build than my first i guess.

Cant wait to see more of your build, as a 90 to me is a great size! i find for me im most happy in the 70-90 gallon range. Doesn't take a million dollars to fill it, and doesn't cost me a fortune in RODI and salt...

The goal right now is to let it finish out cycling, then ill add my first couple fish. Lights will then go on at the 2 month or so mark. Since the holidays are approaching anyways, ill leave it alone till after the holidays before i add anything else.

It will be nice to have a tank upstairs again. Im learning alot on this one too, as its the first time with a tank controller, and with controllable lights via app etc.

There's been so much negative over the last year, the tank build has given me something to look forward to. Whether it was selling something to buy something for the tank, or researching a piece of gear etc. It really was my silver lining. I set a plan when i first got the tank last October, and it was to have fish in it by this Christmas. It looks like ill be there unless cycle decides to go like 3 months...

I feel the tank compliments the space, and doesn't detract from it. One day at a time in this hobby right?

One day at a time is for sure. My reno included ripping all the paneling off, ceiling down, rewiring the electrical and adding lighting, refinishing the floors, etc. Been a lot of work but I enjoy it.

I never liked the run of the mill standard rectangle tanks either. To dress this up I have it built into cabinets to make it look like part of the cabinetry. Not dealing with bows makes woodwork building so much easier but that wouldve been really neat.

I also hoarded a bunch of dry rock over the years and played the part of master chiseler to create caves and what not. My cycle will be quicker as I plan on buying 30lbs liverock from kpaquatics to seed with. Heres my build if you want to see pitures

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One day at a time is for sure. My reno included ripping all the paneling off, ceiling down, rewiring the electrical and adding lighting, refinishing the floors, etc. Been a lot of work but I enjoy it.

I never liked the run of the mill standard rectangle tanks either. To dress this up I have it built into cabinets to make it look like part of the cabinetry. Not dealing with bows makes woodwork building so much easier but that wouldve been really neat.

I also hoarded a bunch of dry rock over the years and played the part of master chiseler to create caves and what not. My cycle will be quicker as I plan on buying 30lbs liverock from kpaquatics to seed with. Heres my build if you want to see pitures
I will check it out for sure! I got lucky with the batch of tonga for this tank. I felt like a king aqua scaping with it for sure!

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow! what a journey! Tank is gorgeous! Can't wait to see it with coral and fish! Hope you are recovering and not overdoing!

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow! what a journey! Tank is gorgeous! Can't wait to see it with coral and fish! Hope you are recovering and not overdoing!
One day at a time for sure! Thank you! it has been a passion of patience for sure, but another month or so, and ill have the first fish in it im thinking. Ill wait till after the holidays, and once we get all the medical bills before i get any coral. I do however have a ton of store credit at my LFS so ill likely use that to get a few frags when its time. The hardest thing has been filling the ATO container, one gallon at a time because i cant lift. The good news is my evap rate right now, is stupid slow since i have no lights or anything on as the tank cycles. I filled it sunday, and its barely moved. All the tank requires at this point is a daily dose of good bacteria and waiting. Ive got a list a mile long of things i want to do with it, but i figure ill focus on that after i go see doctors next week.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back