My "hey what's another tank" 72 bow reef build.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for years I had a 90 gallon reef. Used tank, overflow box, diy sump, beautiful, bit slowly became a maintenance nightmare etc.

Here's a photo of said tank
FB_IMG_1571412228402.jpg

Safe to say I loved it, but some poor fish choices and we'll learning and growing as a reefer lead to some changes. I had also bought a 125 for the basement, and a 32 for my wife for her to have her own reef. She also wanted large angels, so the 125 was for grow out.

That tank downstairs tormented me for a while, as fish only sometimes can just be harder than actual reefs. When company bonus came around, we had enough left in the slush to upgrade that the a 220, so I took down the 90, moved remaining coral to the 32 ( I had lost quite a bit due to fish or one thing or another in the learning process.) All fish went to the 220. Fast forward many months, and my wife can see that I miss "feeding" I still am filling in her reef, but those corals are her choices.

So with that said, she decided to take me to our local LFS over the weekend, and order me a aqueon 72 bow front reef ready tank and stand for Christmas. ( She also let me buy a shark so she's totally a keeper!) It gets picked up today. Now i still have most of my hear from the 90, so fleshing this out will be super easy. I do need to renovate the living room before I can get wet, but expect lots of talks of building out the sump area for long term success, a couple orders that do need to be made for a few things I re used on the 220, but this one will be built from everything that 90 and the 32 has taught me.

More photos later. Tank is due to come in today, so I'll head to lfs after to pick up. We get our stuff from a local small shop, so we get it at cost plus freight, as he doesn't have room to store it.

Stay tuned!!
FB_IMG_1571412228402.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first tank was a 72 bow front tank. Good luck with your build. I look forward to it
Thanks man! It was a compromise. I wanted to go Red Sea Rimless, she hates rimless, and thinks their tanks look cold, and we both love bowfronts, so im stoked!

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 75ish gallon bowfront. They look so good. This is the best pic I have of it, but it was way before I started adding frags. Need to fill it out with some colonies, hopefully soon. Look forward to seeing this setup

IMG_16251.jpg
Looks good just at that point!

im excited for this build. I got a ton of base rock when i bought the 220, that ill be having a "bleach and sunshine" party with it shortly after i pick out the pieces ill use for this build, and get that out of the way.

So many things to do, and plenty of time, but it will keep me busy, and something to look forward to.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!

Got the Message from my LFS owner and buddy, that the tank and stand are in!

Heading up there today to pick it up. Also since hes a reseller for SB Reef, and ive had amazing results in the past with them, i had him get me on order one of the new SB Reef45 inch wifi lights. First time ill have Wifi control and Ramping other than the ramping my wifes bio cube has.

Photos of the tank once it gets home to storage in the basement.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An hour in traffic to do 21 miles... But the tanks home!! Tank and stand. Cost me just under 650 for the pair :) light will be here in a week or two.
Not the best photos, but has. Smooth ride home in the back of the truck.

In basement until new space is ready.
IMG_20191107_200517.jpg
IMG_20191107_200521.jpg

I'm talking to my buddy and the owner of the shop, I think I'll do an ice cap 1k on this build. A 3k may be a bit overkill ha! More to come for sure. Wife really wants to find a canopy so to the internetz I go!

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.... Tanks home and went to dry fit a sump I already owned.... Did my measurements wrong and it won't fit.. so now to find a sump no wider than 12 inches. Going to look at Some used equipment tomorrow. We had a local reef club member pass away, and his wife is processing and selling off what he had. I much rather the money go there, than bulk reef supply. Hopefully I can find a sump that will fit, and some flow pumps to cut cost a bit.

Definitely a step back really as I had that sump, my skimmer fits, and my return fits, but what's a build if it goes smooth!

Looks like a trigger 30 would fit, and a eshopps r 100, and my lfs Carry's pro clear so might look at those if I can't find something.

Oh well here comes the search!!

Damion123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.... Tanks home and went to dry fit a sump I already owned.... Did my measurements wrong and it won't fit.. so now to find a sump no wider than 12 inches. Going to look at Some used equipment tomorrow. We had a local reef club member pass away, and his wife is processing and selling off what he had. I much rather the money go there, than bulk reef supply. Hopefully I can find a sump that will fit, and some flow pumps to cut cost a bit.

Definitely a step back really as I had that sump, my skimmer fits, and my return fits, but what's a build if it goes smooth!

Looks like a trigger 30 would fit, and a eshopps r 100, and my lfs Carry's pro clear so might look at those if I can't find something.

Oh well here comes the search!!
I had the same problem trying to get a sump to fit under my 72 bow. But I’m sure there are more options now. Rather than 12 years ago

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem trying to get a sump to fit under my 72 bow. But I’m sure there are more options now. Rather than 12 years ago
I'm looking at this

I'm thinking it should fit? Just can't find what it's rated to, and if it's big enough. I've got a reef octo 150 classic and jebo dc 900 going in it, and those will fit. Thoughts?

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs is the best I swear!! They carry pro clear sumps.

That's the best site I could find on them. My lfs has one slightly damaged but very useable. I'm picking it up for 50 bucks! Now the fun game of "where's the skimmer cup" I put it somewhere when the 90 came down, and can't remember where I stashed it.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update! Sump aquired. Had a small damage point well above water level, and repaired by lfs owner/good friend of mine. He gave me the "special" price of 50 bucks. Normal price he had was 169, 125 was discounted, but for me $50 bucks!
Went with the Pro cear Freedom Series 100
IMG_20191110_164440.jpg
IMG_20191110_164045.jpg
IMG_20191110_164039.jpg
IMG_20191110_164031.jpg

Now I'll be ordering filter cups to replace the socks for bio media and Poli fill, but this sump fits great, however brought on its own problem... The sump trim on the skimmer chamber causes the reef octopus classic 150 int I had from my old 90 not to fit... So skimmer shopping I go! The Bubble Magnus curve 5 will fit, and is the front runner. Just gotta sell a few things to order it.

Also got word that my light was invoiced by LFS, and should be on its way. SB Reef 45 wifi should be in my hands shortly! Will go under the tree for Christmas, but it will be here for when. It's time to put it all together...

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for years I had a 90 gallon reef. Used tank, overflow box, diy sump, beautiful, bit slowly became a maintenance nightmare etc.

Here's a photo of said tank
FB_IMG_1571412228402.jpg

Safe to say I loved it, but some poor fish choices and we'll learning and growing as a reefer lead to some changes. I had also bought a 125 for the basement, and a 32 for my wife for her to have her own reef. She also wanted large angels, so the 125 was for grow out.

That tank downstairs tormented me for a while, as fish only sometimes can just be harder than actual reefs. When company bonus came around, we had enough left in the slush to upgrade that the a 220, so I took down the 90, moved remaining coral to the 32 ( I had lost quite a bit due to fish or one thing or another in the learning process.) All fish went to the 220. Fast forward many months, and my wife can see that I miss "feeding" I still am filling in her reef, but those corals are her choices.

So with that said, she decided to take me to our local LFS over the weekend, and order me a aqueon 72 bow front reef ready tank and stand for Christmas. ( She also let me buy a shark so she's totally a keeper!) It gets picked up today. Now i still have most of my hear from the 90, so fleshing this out will be super easy. I do need to renovate the living room before I can get wet, but expect lots of talks of building out the sump area for long term success, a couple orders that do need to be made for a few things I re used on the 220, but this one will be built from everything that 90 and the 32 has taught me.

More photos later. Tank is due to come in today, so I'll head to lfs after to pick up. We get our stuff from a local small shop, so we get it at cost plus freight, as he doesn't have room to store it.

Stay tuned!!
FB_IMG_1571412228402.jpg
Beautiful, comrade. Don't forget, "cheaper to keeper." Hahaha

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful, comrade. Don't forget, "cheaper to keeper." Hahaha
Amen to that!

This build already has a Pro sump, a wifi enabled light, and starts with a Reef Ready tank. No more messing with random bubbles in a overflow box etc. Im excited for this build for sure. I had intended to re use some gear from the 90, but skimmer wont fit now, so hey time to try a Bubble Magnus, over my normal Reef Octopus's

I was happy with the growth and such in the 90, but this one will be easier to handle and allow me to enjoy it more.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started dry fitting stuff today. Got my old tank pending for sale, so that's Half of my skimmer budget. Need an idea for a square ato bucket that isn't any bigger than. 10x 10. I need to make a shelf for a dosing pump and I need to hit Walmart for another dosing container.
IMG_20191111_200819.jpg

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man i miss my 72 bow. I guess i really miss the massive colonies I had. It was the tank where it all clicked for me. Congrats though your going to love it.
I had a little 36 bow years ago freshwater, and fell in love with boss. My buddy has a 180 bow that I love, almost bought it, just can't go that big upstairs. Wife loves bowfronts too, so decided that was a good christmas present for me. I'm having a blast planning it all out currently. Once I solve the ato container issue, and get some smaller dosing containers , I can start cutting some plywood for a dosing pump shelf, and a panel for controllers

I'll have a. Ato controller, DC pump controller, gyre controller and the heater controller. Got some ideas, but gotta make sure I got room.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the long silence! Back at it. Just ordered a Curve 5 and 2 red skimmer cups for this build for Black friday. I had sold a couple pieces of gear, so i got the skimmer and cups ordered. Now to wait for the rest of the items i want to be fully released, and to sell some more stuff! Photos once it gets here, or after christmas, if wife decides to wrap it.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really cool! Cant wait to see you stock that bad boy!
Thanks! im stoked for this build. I couldn't pass a curve 5 and 2 skimmer cups for 176 bucks shipped today, so i did it, and just gave my wife the cash for Christmas shopping.

Next up i think will be a Ice cap 2k, and a wave engine, once i sell some more, and the 2k is available.

Likely going to get the Control 4, and an extra power bar once those drop too.

In the meantime, i need to solve the ATO container issue, so i can then focus on cutting some plywood and building some false walls for controllers etc.

Really heavily researching the Coralboix wifi dosing pump too. I have the bottles ill use ( planning to start out with aqua forest 1+ 2+ 3+)

there isnt alot of room in the stand, and wife has asked for everything to be contained within, so time to get creative!

Back