My "hey what's another tank" 72 bow reef build.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some items mounted tonight. Power heads in tank ready to go. Anyone ever painted the bottom outside glass to prevent any light bleed from inverts moving sand? I'd so will my normal acrylic craft paint work?

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started on cable management. Through all of this I decided to also sell off the 220. So I've spent several weeks selling fish, then equipment and tank. Now I've got 2 giant trashcans full of live rock, some lights, a skimmer and a gyre left to sell. Once that rock sells, or i trade some in, I can get my sand and salt, and start mixing water for this bad boy!
IMG_20200913_162136.jpg
IMG_20200913_162148.jpg

I need to run cat 5 through the basement for the controller, and start programming. Won't be long!

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did more cable management today. Really doing my best to keep the sump area clean for ease of cleaning and long term success. Got so e probes installed today, and a few other things couple more items to do before it will be controller programming time , and getting wet!

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO i feel like this may be the longest build in the world. Lots has changed, sold the 220 to have less tanks in the house before this one comes on line. Were getting close. I have a couple hundred pounds of live rock left to sell before i can get wet. That isnt because i "have to" but more that its taking up residence in my Brute Trashcans and i dont have a good way otherwise to mix 70+ gallons of SW without them at the moment. Last night i got my float valves put in place for the Reef Angel to run my ATO. Next up will start the basic programming of the RA so i can have a base code. Once that is done the controller can stay on the side of stand, and i can push remotely to it.

I did find out that my original idea of going through the wall for network will not work, so plan B is a wifi extender which ill use WPS to communicate with my main router and connect it that way. This tank is getting more high tech by the min!

I need to go get dosing line tomorrow so i can cut that and install all of that for the future, and then finally pick a program to run.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well let the games begin!! I've unpacked my gear closet, and am waiting for the 4th coat of paint to dry on the back glass. Tomorrow we fully level, wipe dust off, and get a look at the weather to get my rock glued together and in the tank.
IMG_20200817_103202.jpg
Lol awesome, that looks like a whole stack of fun!

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blacked out bottom glass last night, and turned lights on to 100 percent to get an idea of light bleed etc. I need to dial in spectrum and get my tablet working. Today is base code to reef angel, and a few other things. Just installed my wifi extender to get it on the network.
IMG_20200926_214008.jpg
IMG_20200926_214029.jpg

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hit a roadblock with my reef angel, so I've reached out to support. Did pick up a new ato pump today so as soon as I can get base code loaded I can get that tested, and button up my cable management. LFS may get some of my old live rock in the coming weeks so I can get it out of here and get this baby wet!

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still fighting with the RA, although i believe we are close to getting it sorted. Frustrating for sure. I mean if i cant get it sorted. Im a tech guy by trade, and this particular issue is stumping me. The creator is looking into it. It appears im missing a system file when the plugin for programming downloads. If that is all it is great! I mean plan B is throw money at it, and sell it off for a bit less than I paid, and get Apex. Really dont want to do that, as i bought RA as it gives me far more control for far less, however working is kind of important! Ha!

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SUCCESS!!! Worked with the owner of reef angel, he found the issue ( im nerdy so i asked what it was as i want to learn. ) And base code is now on the Reef Angel. Ill be able to adjust things as needed now. Now to get it on wifi and make sure webservices work, and my tablet can get there. Now to look at getting this thing wet!

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it's on the tank and booted!! I'll power it down later and reconnect all of the probes and such. Ow on to the tablet so I can configure portal and access from there to make changes. We're getting there! Definitely less scary now that it's on the tank and has base code.
IMG_20200928_181016.jpg
IMG_20200928_181052.jpg

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Further successes of the night. Tank tablet is powered up, updated, and I got the reef angel Uapp working. I need to do more networking to figure out how to get to it remotely but we're getting there. I need to cable manage the final things tomorrow.
IMG_20200928_202512.jpg
IMG_20200928_202520.jpg
IMG_20200928_202527.jpg

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday we did more cable management. Wife wanted a clean looking tank, but did not Greenlight a side cabinet, so im doing my best to hide everything, yet not having it in the sump area to gather salt creep. Making real progress. Got all the probes connected, and the USb line to my relay box ran. Next up is some more cable management behind the tank, and then its ready for sand and water.

Im supposed to sell off some rock to a local friend seeding a new tank tomorrow, so as soon as i can get the rest of this rock gone, and regain my rolling trashcans, i can flush my RODI unit and get this wet. Still got light programming to get done, but i dont run lights to after the cycle so i have plenty of time.

I need to get around to ordering at least the leak detection cable for Reef Angel to get that programmed in before too long, as its really the last level of protection im after at this juncture. I need to build out the code for a skimmer cutoff too. Going to use the stock ato high port on the controller to shut off the relay for the skimmer if the float gets pushed up, and back on when it comes down. This should really give me more peace of mind to travel.

Im really glad i went Reef Angel. I like to tinker, and i like to have control. Kind of like apple vs Android, It was a clear win for me to go reef angel!

I get a really good rate for cash and for store credit on Live Rock, so i may just do that, support my small shop, and get it out of here so i can get this baby wet!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Blacked out bottom glass last night, and turned lights on to 100 percent to get an idea of light bleed etc. I need to dial in spectrum and get my tablet working. Today is base code to reef angel, and a few other things. Just installed my wifi extender to get it on the network.
IMG_20200926_214008.jpg
IMG_20200926_214029.jpg

Cool rock work you have there!

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool rock work you have there!
Thanks man! I got real lucky. I got a message from a local person with some tonga, that was taking up room in their gararge. They had gotten out of the hobby, sold off everything else ( i had bought their old tank at one point) and offered it all to me. How can i turn down true blue tonga branch? Wife helped design it, and we figure for a full fledged reef this will look amazing!

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was able to condense remaining Live rock into 1 Brute can. Im halfway to getting this wet. Sure I could throw it in a kiddie pool. but ive got other things to tidy up before i can really get wet. Need to hit hardware store for return plumbing, and ATO tubing. wont be long now. Gotta pick up a few more strains of good bacteria too, but were close to mixing water for sure!

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't get anything done today, but tomorrow is the start of the get wet stage prep! Since my big brute is still full of rock, off to lowes in the morning to get another 44 gallon brute. I'll flush out the rodi and get the return and ato flex tubing. So close to cycling.i can taste it!!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 41 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.1%
Back