My "hey what's another tank" 72 bow reef build.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is the advantage of filter cups over socks?
Cups dont have to be changed. The contents can be. SO in my case i stuck bags of rock rubble in mine, and i can throw a bag of carbon or chemipure in there if needed, or even polifill after a waterchange to catch any large particles. I got sick and tired of changing socks on my old tank every 2 days. The biggest thing with this tank, was i wanted to employ the less maintenence, more enjoyment approach. I sized my ATO tank well, and went this way, so i can not tinker with it constantly, and actually enjoy it.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 weeks 4 days into the cycle. API test that I use to show traces of things to ensure a cycle.

Tonight we have traces of nitrate! Like 5 or 10. No nitrite and no if very little ammonia. The ammonia test is notorious for being a false positive always. I'll test again this weekend before I order some pre qtd clowns from somewhere. About another 5 weeks or so before lights come on. Clowns and cuc first can't believe there will be life soon!!

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 weeks 4 days into the cycle. API test that I use to show traces of things to ensure a cycle.

Tonight we have traces of nitrate! Like 5 or 10. No nitrite and no if very little ammonia. The ammonia test is notorious for being a false positive always. I'll test again this weekend before I order some pre qtd clowns from somewhere. About another 5 weeks or so before lights come on. Clowns and cuc first can't believe there will be life soon!!
Always exciting!! I got my first fish all qtd in a tank waiting to go.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always exciting!! I got my first fish all qtd in a tank waiting to go.
I have failed in about every way with QT in the past. No matter what i did it just never went well, hence my want to order pre qtd from like LA divers den or TSM aquatics. figured that would set me up better. or at least i think?

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have failed in about every way with QT in the past. No matter what i did it just never went well, hence my want to order pre qtd from like LA divers den or TSM aquatics. figured that would set me up better. or at least i think?
Unfortunately I dont trust anyone to do it right and not cross contaminate.
Did you use copper. Only way to do it IMO is with the hanna checker. Takes a lot of guess work out of it.
I always acclimated for a week or so to get eating, then ramped up copper over a week. My only real fail was yellow watchman gobies. Tried 2, both ended up with bacterial infections and died.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I dont trust anyone to do it right and not cross contaminate.
Did you use copper. Only way to do it IMO is with the hanna checker. Takes a lot of guess work out of it.
I always acclimated for a week or so to get eating, then ramped up copper over a week. My only real fail was yellow watchman gobies. Tried 2, both ended up with bacterial infections and died.
I didnt use copper. QT at first was 2 weeks to observe and feed medicated food. Then a week of Prazipro. Copper was on hand if anything popped up in that period. I always used well established media for the Qts. That morphed to an hour dip in paraguard before into the show tank, after vetting the additions very well. Often getting from other reefers etc.

The fish list for the tank is this:

Pair of Clowns
Royal Gramma
Starry Blenny
Trio of Zebra Dartfish
6 Blue Reef Chromis
Hawkfish
Dwarf Cherub
Captive Bred Mandarin
( maybe some flasher or fairy wrasses)
assorted snails and CUC, maybe a goby?

I want to do the best I can, but i really have no good place for another tank, that doesnt put it right next to a running system, and that can travel by air...

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing too too exciting. Got some matrix carbon on clearance at the LfS when I stopped in to kill some time. Did a BRS order.of carbon and more microbacter 7 for good measure. In my experience, having stuff on hand makes it easier.to handle things if something pops up. Need to build a skimmer stand this weekend to start looking at getting that broke in.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Discovered that the Reef Angel is not sending data to the server, which would explain why my alerting emails, and graph capability isnt working. I Have a forum post in to work on that... hopefully we can figure out what is going on easily, and its a easy fix.... A bit frustrating, but ive got the UPS man coming later. I just ordered carbon, and Microbacter 7 to restock, but its entertaining none the less.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nothing crazy from BRS order. Just my initial order. Spent most of my night troubleshooting with the reef angel owner on why I'm not sending data to them. Something in my code base, but he can't figure it out yet. We will try again tomorrow....

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a backup ATO unit to make myself feel better. Spent the majority of the night troubleshooting further.... I've stumped the owner, and he's shipping me a new board... I really want this to work out, but my faith is getting lower and lower. The dark side of Apex is calling... Waiting for my wife to tell me to pull the trigger.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After Many days of fighting, and No responses, and many many many reboots, most items are unplugged from the Reef Angel. Its running my return and my heater, and im watching MY ATO so it doesnt get too bad, and letting it run that, but will do it manually if i need to. I have asked for either a new head unit, as mines clearly bad, so i can put this up for sale, or an RMA for return for my money back. BRS got more of my money today, and Apex will be here later this week. Ill do the swap out this weekend. Im not afraid to put the tank on a power strip if i need to until i can get apex here and mounted and at least running my life support basics.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex Shipped! Looks like it will be here tomorrow evening. Will likely get it mounted Saturday. I'm going to try to do it all at once. Get the Reef Angel off the tank to get it ready to ship back, and the Apex installed in its place. We will see. A lot depends when the RMA arrives to me for Reef Angel.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RMA has arrived via Email, so the packing has begun. Here in a Bit ill get the tank moved over to a power strip for the return pump, heater controller, and my octopulse pair. Ill install the Hydor smart level too. Apex should arrive tomorrow, so the goal is to get to the post office to ship the RA back tomorrow, and once Apex is here, ill get that process started. I should have it all installed and re cable managed by Saturday night.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made the trip to the Post office at lunch. RA heading back to CA. The Apex is out for delivery now. Tanks running on a standard Powerstrip and my new ATo. I had to add a ball valve to my pump to slow it down a bit as its too big for this ATO, so ill hit an LFS this weekend to try to find a smaller one that may work a bit better without the valve. May get the Apex mounted in the coming days, but there will be no programming or setup until weekend most likely. Photos once its here.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's about to be on like donkey kong!
IMG_20201104_174459.jpg

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to end up replacing my ATO pump. Was able to find a small pump at a local LFS i get dry goods at last night when i was there for media bags. Did some testing, and i think were back in business! Now tonight if all goes well, ill get the Apex mounted and begin the setup for it.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This build just doesn't seem to end! Just as I get everything mounted, my loving wife decides that wide cabinet I wanted when this all started is a good idea. So just got off the phone with my canopy builder to get a price on said cabinet.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back