My "hey what's another tank" 72 bow reef build.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Re calibrated the PH probe last night. SUCCESS! PH now reading in normal range, and the annoying alarm is gone. Need to test tank again and order clowns. Added a second bottle of pods last night too. Will get more when I run low on phyto in a couple weeks.

Screenshot_20201109-094946.png

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added some power failure and reboot code to Apex tonight. The skimmer outlet, as well as the cheato reactor and dosing pump. This will delay that equipment for 10 minutes to prevent any issues. May add it to the ato unit to to prevent any overfill alarms from triggering.. nothing too too exciting, just trying to be prepared

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just configured Alexa control From Apex Fusion. I can now ask it to get a status report, and "feed the fish" Status report is just Temp and PH for now. Ill add in Trident someday, but for now that gives me a start!

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great now I need an Alexa to turn on feed mode. ‍
It blew my wife and daughter that was visitings mind. I walked out and said " hey alexa... tell apex fusion to feed the fish"

She said " starting feed the fish" and then you hear the relays click off :) ill be creating one using feed mode B for when im adding coral and or acclimating a fish etc. that way i dont upset the ATO, Skimmer and any reactors with changing levels in sump from hand in the tank. Not sure what ill call it yet. IM leaning towards F*Cking with the tank LOL. I did it mostly as im often doing multiple things during feed time. Usually helping my wife with dinner for us, so its just easier to call it out to start, then approach the tank with food and have the skimmer and powerheads off for 5 mins. Ill likely add equipment on to the feed modes, and such, but right now ive configured the 5 min one, and a 4 hour feed mode for phytoplankton feeding for the pods, that will kill my skimmer for 4 hours allowing the phyto to be consumed, and not immediately skimmed out.

Hendo1133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I just use the apex app on my phone, no major complaints, planning to just add a spare cheap Samsung tablet next to my apex to control it eventually. One of those “I’ll get to it things”

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I just use the apex app on my phone, no major complaints, planning to just add a spare cheap Samsung tablet next to my apex to control it eventually. One of those “I’ll get to it things”
I picked up a cheap lenovo one through the perks at work thing i have at work for cheap cheap. It works well for programming, adding code etc. it will be What i use to program my lights. Im trying to follow the BRS 4 month cycle, which says no lights for 2 months.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember boys and girls... Check your tank early and often... After pots of testing today 6 weeks in I had a blow out on a panel on the sump.....
IMG_20201115_122047.jpg

So long story short. Ran to lfs bought a eshopps that should of worked, but even though. I measured... It's 12 wife and wouldn't turn into the stand..... So it goes back tomorrow...here is current state of affairs. Dosing equipment and skimmer are back in storage until I get something else and can get the skimmer back in the tank....
IMG_20201115_191503.jpg

Thankfully I didn't purge that 10 gallon when I was getting rid of crap....

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see you got something quick after the emergency, looks like a good setup!
Amen to that! i likely over reacted ( first time in all my tanks over the years ive experienced a leak) I likely should of just put the 10 gallon down there from the first moment, but i wanted to do it once etc. I did return the eshopps no problem, and thankfully this one was available from a reef club member. Its on my kitchen counter cycling water through it with a small pump i had on hand. Its extremely quiet. I think i like the setup on this one better than my original sump. I may even look to not use my new Tunze algae Reactor, and just use the light on it over this fuge, as it may be enough for this tank after all. Ill do some testing later after work. As i have time, im rubbing it down with a magic eraser to get any algae and dirt off. I am still amazed at only 8 inches of water in there, that its so quiet.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome! If you decide to go away from the Tunze Reactor I know someone who may be interested
IM not sure how to price it without the Tunze light, as id need to use that to light the fuge, as i really cant afford to be buying another ones, with Medical Bills coming in for my surgery etc, and the holidays. but im not sure ill need it. DO you think that fuge would be sufficient? The tunze has never been used, its plumbed under the tank, and turned on like once or twice by accident as i tested controllers etc. Bought it because the fuge was too small in the old sump, but this is a bit bigger...

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some testing yesterday, and ill be using the Cheato reactor after all. The light just is too much light bleed over the sump. I did what should be the final cleanup on the sump as well. Today ill cut some scrap plywood down to be a bit bigger than the sump to give it something to sit on that isnt the thin aqueon thing to keep it from being a problem again hopefully. Ill see what i have to seal it with, and get that done later so hopefully i can get this new sump installed soon.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing crazy for this update.... Cut the plywood at lunch, and had some poly on hand from when i had built the 220 stand. 2nd coat on it drying now. WIll hopefully get a 3rd coat on tonight before bed. Will kick on the Rodi here as well to top off my storage containers so i can mix up like 15 gallons to get this thing started back up on the new sump. If i play my cards right i might be able to do the work tomorrow night, if not friday for sure. may have to re think how things go in my cabinet, but we will see shortly.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New sump installed Tonight. Made entirely too much saltwater, so looks like I'll mix it another night and do a water change in my wife's tank with the leftovers will be monitoring.for a few days closely. Need to come up with an idea of what to do to make room for my dosing equipment as I had to move the sump over but I've got a few ideas I'll mess with this weekend.

IMG_20201119_200107.jpg

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a killer deal on a small carbon/gift Reactor today! 30 bucks for of this! Got it cleaning up right now so I can at least get it installed this weekend. Lights will come on on Thursday.

Attachments

• IMG_20201127_194330.jpg
    IMG_20201127_194330.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the carbon reactor loaded with the needed amount of carbon, and installed this evening. Space is tight. So this was the best I could come up with to also make it easy to change out and drain the canister over the sump. I still gotta come up with a way to get my dosing pump and dosing containers under the tank again.... Have a few ideas I'll try to mess with this week. It's not pretty but it does it's job. Will likely have to play around with the flow rate, but for now it's super super low.
IMG_20201129_193841.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back