OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
[emoji50] awesome build. Can’t wait to see this one finished.

Hey @Stpatric thank you for the compliment! Trust mexi want to get this thing done and get some life in there too!. I've had the vision in my head for like two years, and been working on getting stiff together since like August! Thanks for stopping in, and stay tuned.

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great so far! I can’t believe how nice that electronics setup looks. I hate dealing with panduit. Snapping a long run in place drives me bonkers, so I tend to not use it.

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks great so far! I can’t believe how nice that electronics setup looks. I hate dealing with panduit. Snapping a long run in place drives me bonkers, so I tend to not use it.

Hi @wangspeed, thank you for such a nice compliment!. The electronics along with the plumbing is something I've put a lot of effort into. I'm starting on the plumbing today so I'll post some pics soon.

Lol at the panduit!. I don't mind working with it. I hook all the bottom "Teeth" first, give it a good lift over the top teeth and all done. Super easy for even the long runs [emoji4]

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Time to get cracking on the plumbing. No shortage of token plumbing pics, so I can pretend for three seconds that I'm organized.....

6e5f3e7ae408cdad294bf93d9b20d46b.jpg

3a15b385510516ce15a2eeaec7008007.jpg

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good, glad that’s not my invoice!

I’d be worried about those Dwyers. Do you know what material the metal parts are made from?

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good, glad that’s not my invoice!

I’d be worried about those Dwyers. Do you know what material the metal parts are made from?

Thanks @rushbattle - you're not joking! All wet parts are either polycarbonate or 316 SS. You think the 316 will give me trouble? I really appreciate the input.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @rushbattle - you're not joking! All wet parts are either polycarbonate or 316 SS. You think the 316 will give me trouble? I really appreciate the input.
In aquaculture we definitely dont commonly trust 316 in saltwater applications. Not all 316 is the same, but it all eventually rusts. Maybe not a big deal, but I would personally not be comfortable. Obviously the polycarbonate would be totally fine.

Edit: Sorry about being a downer, just thought it was better to share my opinion before it gets installed.

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In aquaculture we definitely dont commonly trust 316 in saltwater applications. Not all 316 is the same, but it all eventually rusts. Maybe not a big deal, but I would personally not be comfortable. Obviously the polycarbonate would be totally fine.

Edit: Sorry about being a downer, just thought it was better to share my opinion before it gets installed.

Thank you so much for the quick reply @rushbattle. Not a downer at all! I have used 316 ss without (anecdotally) an issue before.... I've observed discoloration, but no major corrosion or pitting. Although these components may have been processed differently or passivated.

I will probably continue with the install and reach out to Dwyer to see if they can produce floats and rods for these meters in an austenitic grade. For now, I'll hope the relatively high oxygen environment these meters will be in, keeps substantial corrosion in check.

As far as observation goes, these meters will be mounted external to the stand, with easy visibility. So if they do start to corrode, I can act relatively quickly.

Thank you, and happy New Year!

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the quick reply @rushbattle. Not a downer at all! I have used 316 ss without (anecdotally) an issue before.... I've observed discoloration, but no major corrosion or pitting. Although these components may have been processed differently or passivated.

I will probably continue with the install and reach out to Dwyer to see if they can produce floats and rods for these meters in an austenitic grade. For now, I'll hope the relatively high oxygen environment these meters will be in, keeps substantial corrosion in check.

As far as observation goes, these meters will be mounted external to the stand, with easy visibility. So if they do start to corrode, I can act relatively quickly.

Thank you, and happy New Year!
Sounds like an excellent plan! If the modern low cost ICP tests can be trusted, that provides you with another option to double check what’s going on.

Happy New Year!!!

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds like an excellent plan! If the modern low cost ICP tests can be trusted, that provides you with another option to double check what’s going on.

Happy New Year!!!

@rushbattle - I did not even think of this - excellent idea on the ICP tests!! Any recommendations on which company to go with?. I may use this as a periodic spot check against my normal test kits/checkers, as well as a trace element checkup.

Thank you for the insight and idea!. I will also post specific updates on this if anything goes awry.

Be chatting,

Nathan

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rushbattle - I did not even think of this - excellent idea on the ICP tests!! Any recommendations on which company to go with?. I may use this as a periodic spot check against my normal test kits/checkers, as well as a trace element checkup.

Thank you for the insight and idea!. I will also post specific updates on this if anything goes awry.

Be chatting,

Nathan
I’m still following along, but wanted to share these so we can have a somewhat balanced view of the options.

http://packedhead.net/2015/triton-lab-icp-oes-testing-of-a-certified-artificial-saltwater-standard/

http://www.reefedition.com/my-triton-testing-results-by-randy-holmes-farley/

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.6%
Back