My High Energy Rainbow Garden - Niji No Niwa

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by naterealbig, Sep 7, 2018.

1. naterealbig

naterealbig Active Member

That will be beautiful - I love cherry, and I truly wish I was able to learn about and have the tools and space for some real wood working. I can't wait to see the build, it will be amazing.

Yes, there are definitely some things in this system and build that are unique, and I'm glad that you and others have found it interesting so far!. I hope I can continue to keep interests piqued, and am working hard to complete the vision I've had for a long time!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    rushbattle likes this.

2. naterealbig

Made a little more progress.... I'm building out the manifold now, and I've gotten the flow meter assemblies complete. Right now the only ancillary piece of equipment that will be run off this is is a vertex media reactor.

I am also gong to build in a connection for my chiller which I only plan on connecting when I am away.

[​IMG]

3. naterealbig

Return pump manifold done (well almost done). I'm going to wait until the two Fluval SP4's arrive before installing the reducers, pipe, and check valves, so I can make sure to get the height correct.

Each return pumps ~ 1800 gph, and I'm running two in parallel for redundancy. The check valves are not to stop water from draining from the display into the sump. They are there so that if one return pump fails, the other return pump doesn't pump water back through the one that experienced the failure.

[​IMG]

rushbattle likes this.
  4. naterealbig

[​IMG]

Anirban likes this.
  5. naterealbig

Little more progress.....

[​IMG]

6. naterealbig

Got some more work done over the last few days... It doesn't look like much, but a million measurements and small details are terribly time consuming. Tomorrow I'll finish up the plumbing, and fill it up for a leak test!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rockskimmerflow and rushbattle like this.
  7. naterealbig

Finally finished the return manifold - Holy smokes that was stressful!. All I need to do now is connect the return pump plumbing, and we move on to leak testing.

[​IMG]

8. rushbattle

rushbattle Jack of Some, Master of None R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019

This looks more like a crude refinery than a reef tank, very impressive! Plumbing art is definitely a thing, and this is it.

Hemmdog likes this.
  9. Joel B in FL

Joel B in FL Active Member

This is a pretty sweet looking build. I am looking forward to seeing the progress.

10. naterealbig

Hahaha @ crude refinery - if I could have put a name to the "look" that I was going for, that is the term I would have used. Thank you for the kind compliment, and I am very happy myself with the finished product.

Hemmdog likes this.
  11. naterealbig

Hi Joel, thank you!. I live in Tampa but drive to Lakeland daily for work. We will need to catch up some time. Do you have a thread?

12. naterealbig

Not quite "outstanding" but the leak test was definitely satisfactory. Only two leaks in the entire system - one from a UV sterilizer flange, and another from a mis-seated flow meter o-ring. Both we're easily fixed. Other than that it is 100%

Running the RODI full blast until I have 180 gallons of salt water ready to go.

[​IMG]

13. naterealbig

Peek under the hood.....

[​IMG]

Some things still left to do...

1. Install calcium reactor.... Will be a while before this gets put into service, but I want to get it in the sump.

2. Install heaters

3. Install halide fixture - this will serve as lighting until I purchase the 3 x Orphek Atlantik fixtures I am going to use.

4. Install media reactor, and add carbon.

5. Add salt water, rock, sand etc. Fish have 6 more days in QT, so I should be wrapping things up when they are ready.

blackizzz, NY_Caveman and rushbattle like this.
  14. rushbattle

rushbattle Jack of Some, Master of None R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019

That’s impressive with all that plumbing!
    Even your sump looks industrial. Looks great!

Your timeline ended up being easy. Great work!

Hemmdog likes this.
  15. naterealbig

@rockskimmerflow..... Just for you. Thank you for the valuable back!

[​IMG]

16. naterealbig

Thank you!! Wow it feels good to finally be running it! Still have some work ahead, but 95% of the hard stuff is out of the way. Hanging the lights from the ceiling will be the last "chore".

Ya, once the plumbing was done things went real quick. Seems like I've been working on this thing forever!

As always, thank you for the kind words and I'm happy you like it!. I'll get it drained tomorrow and push it up against the wall. After that, I've got to wait for some extension cords in the mail, and install the lights, and then it will be saltwater time.

rushbattle likes this.
  17. naterealbig

Light hung, sand added....

[​IMG]

Starting water....
    [​IMG]

About 70 gallons in.....
    [​IMG]

DSC reef, Helfish, Maritimer and 3 others like this.
  18. naterealbig

Have had the system running a few days now. Fish are on the last day of QT and I'm waiting for some parts to come in so I can finish plumbing and wire routing. I'm also slowly setting up the apex.

Here is the first iteration of rockwork. I still a have a 20L that has some rock and critters in it, but I'm going to wait to get the fish in and some algae to grow before I transfer them. Once I have it completely done I'll shoot some better photos....

[​IMG]

19. Dine

Dine Member R2R Supporter

can't wait to see this thing with livestock! amazing attention to detail, subscribed!

Hemmdog likes this.
  20. naterealbig

Thank you @Dine ! Some focus on the details during and before the build can really save some headaches during the life of the system.

Fish go in today, and the rest of the rock will probably go in next week. It's only one or two pieces, but it will truly finish the scape.

Thanks for checking in!

Dine, Hemmdog and DSC reef like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted