Rich Ross - Home Tank - guess the phosphate

U

User1

View Badges
You could do it with anything. @trido made with with an RO filter housing, or you cold you use any HOB filter you have laying around. :D

That was on the side of the tank where there isn't that much light. I think. Maybe the light were just doing their cloud thing. Anyway, no reason I can see to do it in the dark.
That is funny - I was thinking it looked like my CPR Bak Pak. Great little skimmer.

U

User1

View Badges
It isn't really down much yet. .92 phosphate still makes people's heads explode.
But I get you, why mess with it? Two reasons. 1) technology has pointed to easy ways to to lower it. Remember, it go so high because I hated using gfo, and when I stopped, the animals didn't seem to care. If it is easy, I might keep up with it if it makes a difference, and what I am trying isn't new fangled with no support 2) I want to know if it makes a difference. But I think mostly you are right and I am an idiot. :D

My not asked for opinion about algae problems -
I wouldn't bring levels down to try to combat algae, I think that doesn't do much - there are lots of tanks with algae issues and low nutrients and lots of tanks with high nutrients and no algae. I think algae is mostly completion for living space and herbivory. When I am down on herbivores, algae become an issue. When I have the right herbivores, no algae problems. I think people get into trouble when they a system starts to phase change to an algae dominated reef, and just link in nature when that happens it is really really hard to reverse. I recommend not letting algae get out of hand, and if I starts too, I start pulling problem rocks.

The algae thought - I sort of feel the same way and see it with my recent upgrade. Algae, or at least the brown light dust film of diatoms, is a issue I notice when my snail population is low. Rocks while still maturing (dry pukani I started with) look like they are from the moon once the snails do their job. Then there is the green algae that comes and again visible when low snail count or lazy tang then poof, gone over night. Lights, grazers, I have no idea but I tend to agree it is the food chain in our tanks that consume or don't consume it.

U

User1

View Badges
Side note - question if you will. I thought I saw a marine beta on the first page. If so, how does it fair in your tank? I think it is a beautiful fish but most research say it can possible eat shrimp, snails, and small fish. I have shrimp and snails but not so much small fish (azure damsel is about it).

Great looking tank.

OllieNZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to see you on here :D

I'd like some more info about your hang on feeder if you don't mind sharing. My biggest question is how do you keep the food from being rapidly dispensed? I've got a spare HOB filter I'd like to convert.

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to see you on here :D

I'd like some more info about your hang on feeder if you don't mind sharing. My biggest question is how do you keep the food from being rapidly dispensed? I've got a spare HOB filter I'd like to convert.

I am in Palau for the till next month - if I don't reply with more info by then, please ping me about it! Thanks!

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am liking how its looking lately

Rich, are you back in country? Reef looks good! Are you planning any changes in the future? Love the contrast between the NPS coral colors and the photosynthetic corals. Makes for a nice change with the bright warm colors mixed in.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rich, are you back in country? Reef looks good! Are you planning any changes in the future? Love the contrast between the NPS coral colors and the photosynthetic corals. Makes for a nice change with the bright warm colors mixed in.
Thanks!
No big changes to content, but have been lowering Phosphate intentionally in the lazyest way possible that I have to write up. Also been comparing salinity measuring devices, getting the lab tanks ready for brooder corals, and planning to rip out and red all the plumbing behind the display. Also trying to find time to do a video on the autofeeder. :D

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
U

User1

View Badges
Great video. I was looking at it and saw maybe a wrasse and it looked like it had a longer fin. Then I saw it loop around and do it again and I was thinking what sort of fish was it. Then I saw it was a cleaner wrasse chasing it or doing whatever it does to it. Pretty interesting all in that little clip.

Palau - hopefully some diving and the weather is grand!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back