OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reviews on how corals reacted to using the Alkatronic?

Not necessarily a review of how my coral are reacting, but I definitely have more stability with my tank and my SPS are encrusting beautifully and I have good growth as well. To give you an idea, I can no longer use my kalk stirrer because it no longer can keep up with the calcium usage. So I guess that's a good sign of things going in the right direction. :)

Just think about it, the main aspect to a thriving system is stability. With the Alkatronic it will help you maintain one of the most critical components in a reef tank, dKH.

JDtimk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... I went through the whole process of physically setting up the unit and calibrating everything and ran a test. Then the mixing bar stopped working... I have run several tests since then and the mixing bar still doesn't move. Of course this completely makes the tests inaccurate and the unit unusable. I contacted the seller by phone and they said they don't really know much about this since it is so new and that I should contact CoralVue for any warranty issues. CoralVue phone support is closed on the weekends and I can submit a ticket online and they will get back to me within one business day. Not a good start to a $900 product.
Anyone else have a unit where the mixing bar stopped working already?

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... I went through the whole process of physically setting up the unit and calibrating everything and ran a test. Then the mixing bar stopped working... I have run several tests since then and the mixing bar still doesn't move. Of course this completely makes the tests inaccurate and the unit unusable. I contacted the seller by phone and they said they don't really know much about this since it is so new and that I should contact CoralVue for any warranty issues. CoralVue phone support is closed on the weekends and I can submit a ticket online and they will get back to me within one business day. Not a good start to a $900 product.
Anyone else have a unit where the mixing bar stopped working already?

I have been following the thread since the beginning and this is the first I’ve heard of this issue. The unit itself is easy to open so if your brave you can open it and see if it is a simple fix.

JDtimk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been following the thread since the beginning and this is the first I’ve heard of this issue. The unit itself is easy to open so if your brave you can open it and see if it is a simple fix.
Thanks. I could try that but I would worry about doing that if it would somehow void the warranty. I guess I will see what CoralVue support says when I hear back from them.

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks. I could try that but I would worry about doing that if it would somehow void the warranty. I guess I will see what CoralVue support says when I hear back from them.

Message Alkatronic on Facebook for suggestions. There’s an auto response to go to the reseller but they are amazing at getting back to you regardless. Support from them has been outstanding and I’m confident they’ll help get you fixed or replaced. I’ve been using it since it first came out and a few minor hiccups but overall rock solid stability.

JDtimk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I might be one of the last people not on facebook Maybe I can start an account just for them if they respond to FB messages still.

JDtimk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I do get this up and running, this is going to be how I use the BT socket. Let me know if people are also doing it this way or if anyone sees a problem with my proposed strategy.
I run two part dosed with an aquarium controller as the majority of the supplements for ALK and CAL. Estimate maybe 60-70% if the tank’s uptake is replenished this way. I set these to a balanced ratio and rely on this as an unchanging quantity.
Then on top of that I run a Kalk reactor and dose that separately from the top off water using a peristaltic pump and aquarium controller. I adjust the quantity of the Kalk dose manually based on alk measurements for now, but plan to run the Kalk dosing on the slightly high side of demand and use the alkatronic and the BT socket to shut off power to the Kalk pump if it reaches the high side of the alkatronic parameter.
Then the alkatronic can dose straight alk from the two part reservoir for the low parameters.
Thoughts? Suggestions?

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have been using my Alkatronic pretty frequently I'd say and I just a few minutes ago had to mix some reagent. I have gone through approximately a gallon of reagent since March 2018. That's 8 freaking months and I still believe that I can make at lease another 3-4 gallons.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back