My Honest Opinion About The Alkatronic

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My measurements are every 4hr.

What do you mean "drop out freely"
I read it like he was talking about the waste out line. Don't have restrictions between the alkatronic waste exit and the bottle or container it is going into.

stevem650

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Embarrassed to say I found my problem. I dumped out the cup with the stirrer yesterday and never put it back. To make matters worse, I can not find the stirrer. That is going to be hard part to find.

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Embarrassed to say I found my problem. I dumped out the cup with the stirrer yesterday and never put it back. To make matters worse, I can not find the stirrer. That is going to be hard part to find.

They sell some cheap magnetic stirring devices on amazon that use the same small device.

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good problem solved! Pretty much any coated small magnetic stirrer should do.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using Alkatronic for about 10 days, very impressed with accuracy vs other tests and even more importantly consistent results. Huge improvement over KHG.

The only thing is that sometimes it won’t connect to WiFi when I’m away from home so I can’t see updated results.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using Alkatronic for about 10 days, very impressed with accuracy vs other tests and even more importantly consistent results. Huge improvement over KHG.

The only thing is that sometimes it won’t connect to WiFi when I’m away from home so I can’t see updated results.

I was having issues with my wifi, but with my Apex and once I changed from the ISP provided wifi to a Google Home, things improved drastically. Usually wifi issue are more to do with the router than it is the device. Every blue-moon it'll loose wifi connectivity (my Apex), but know where near what it was doing before. I can live with a few disconnects here and there, but hopefully everything is fine when I am away.

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two Questions:
Q1- The machine is telling me "It's time to Calibration", according to the manual it says to test pump accuracy to see if Calibration is needed. I did, pumps are spot on so do I really need to calibrate again?? I can't remember if the original calibration when I got the unit a month ago required me to put a value in. At this point both pumps are pumping exactly the amount they should. Do I Calibrate anyways?

Q2- I had to replenish my reagent, mixed it with measured beaker and kitchen scale, just like the first time. No difference. The tests since the new reagent was mixed went from consistent 7.98-8.14 readings over 3 weeks to suddenly dropping to 7.78-7.70. It was an immediate change with the first test after filling bottle with newly mixed reagent. Anyone else get a change in Alk readings when replenishing reagent?

This is a new tank with a few corals only, I have been adding alk by hand when needed at this point. Due to the lower readings I am adding just a bit over time to see if it will rise back in the 8.0 range. Hasn't happened yet over the past 3 days, I'm going slow though.

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two Questions:
Q1- The machine is telling me "It's time to Calibration", according to the manual it says to test pump accuracy to see if Calibration is needed. I did, pumps are spot on so do I really need to calibrate again?? I can't remember if the original calibration when I got the unit a month ago required me to put a value in. At this point both pumps are pumping exactly the amount they should. Do I Calibrate anyways?

Q2- I had to replenish my reagent, mixed it with measured beaker and kitchen scale, just like the first time. No difference. The tests since the new reagent was mixed went from consistent 7.98-8.14 readings over 3 weeks to suddenly dropping to 7.78-7.70. It was an immediate change with the first test after filling bottle with newly mixed reagent. Anyone else get a change in Alk readings when replenishing reagent?

This is a new tank with a few corals only, I have been adding alk by hand when needed at this point. Due to the lower readings I am adding just a bit over time to see if it will rise back in the 8.0 range. Hasn't happened yet over the past 3 days, I'm going slow though.
I can help on your second question. Measuring out the reagent with a beaker and kitchen scale really is not accurate at all. I highly recommend buying a volumetric flask. You can get them on amazon for around $20. This guarantees you get the ratios of the mix correct.

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can help on your second question. Measuring out the reagent with a beaker and kitchen scale really is not accurate at all. I highly recommend buying a volumetric flask. You can get them on amazon for around $20. This guarantees you get the ratios of the mix correct.

Why isn’t it accurate with a digital scale ?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back