My Honest Opinion About The Alkatronic

Richyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be curious to know why trident. From what i understand reagent would be cheaper on the alkatronic and you don't need to send back the trident to get calibrated as you do with the trident.
Reagent is cheaper, but you have to mix it and you are only testing alk. The trident tests three parameters. I could never get my Alkatronic to test accurately. It would consistently test 2.0 dkh high and i just got used to it. I ran it about 2 years. It was a early version, just after they started putting the sound dampener kits on them. It was still so load i could hear it on the other side of the house. If you do not already run a newer version of the Apex then i would go with the Alkatronic. It did serve the purpose and really helped me dial in my dosing.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using Alkatronic for close to 2 years now and no complaints at all. One time my basement flooded and shorted the power brick, they got me a new one quick. Plus, I get a jug of reagent for $100 and it lasts me close to a year :)

How about $39

..... :p

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would consistently test 2.0 dkh high and i just got used to it.

You could have added more reagent to the RO/DI and then fine tuned, using the "baseline calibration" function.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm of the camp that says, there's absolutely no reason to test mag and calcium on a daily basis.

The alkatronic has a more up front cost, but there are plenty of DIY solutions to making your own reagent for the alkatronic.

The Trident on the other hand, you're subservient to purchasing from Neptune. And that becomes a problem as we all see.

Once having these automated testers you're going to realize that all you're looking for is consistent readings and not so much exact numbers. Not to say the alkatronic doesn't provide exact numbers, i'm saying that all I really want to know is did the alk go up or down since the last reading, if so then why.

As far as communication goes, it is via email or messaging, but every time I sent them a message, their response was rather quick.

Ultra Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm of the camp that says, there's absolutely no reason to test mag and calcium on a daily basis.

The alkatronic has a more up front cost, but there are plenty of DIY solutions to making your own reagent for the alkatronic.

The Trident on the other hand, you're subservient to purchasing from Neptune. And that becomes a problem as we all see.

Once having these automated testers you're going to realize that all you're looking for is consistent readings and not so much exact numbers. Not to say the alkatronic doesn't provide exact numbers, i'm saying that all I really want to know is did the alk go up or down since the last reading, if so then why.

As far as communication goes, it is via email or messaging, but every time I sent them a message, their response was rather quick.
Totally agree, especially with me running a Cal Reactor I pretty much know my cal is good if alk is in range. Anybody having accuracy issues I would suggest calibrating your pH probe and pump accuracy.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you been able to get this resolved? I am looking at geting this unit and now have concerns if you can't contact support

Just my $0.02. If you are concerned go with the Trident. All I can say is I've had both and from my personal experience, I'd choose the Alkatronic. As already mentioned, someone else would choose the Trident. So you really have the choice that you decide to make and just live with that decision like it or love it until you decide to change that decision.

Just this weekend, my Alkatronic reagent was depleted and I just grabbed my HCL muriatic acid ready mix and replaced it with another gallon of reagent. Total cost for that gallon was like $0.20.

Richyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could have added more reagent to the RO/DI and then fine tuned, using the "baseline calibration" function.
Yup, could have done all that. I re-calibrated twice and after that just decided to live with it.It tested consistently and that was the main thing. I just don't have time for the way i would have had to do updates and adjust the reagent. Between the noise, wifi issues, and a couple other quirks i just did not like the Alkatronic once i started using a Trident on my other tank. it was super easy to set up and connects up with my Apex and DOS system perfectly. This is all my 2 cents worth. I can see where the Alkatronic would be fine for many hobbyists.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, could have done all that. I re-calibrated twice and after that just decided to live with it.It tested consistently and that was the main thing. I just don't have time for the way i would have had to do updates and adjust the reagent. Between the noise, wifi issues, and a couple other quirks i just did not like the Alkatronic once i started using a Trident on my other tank. it was super easy to set up and connects up with my Apex and DOS system perfectly. This is all my 2 cents worth. I can see where the Alkatronic would be fine for many hobbyists.

Do you still have the Alkatronic?

Richyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did not return it. I used it for about 18 months. I bought it from CoralVue. I just put it on consignment there. What are you offering? It is in the original packaging. It will need a new ph probe i am sure.

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jonas has always replied back to me ASAP on their member users Facebook site.

But, I'm not taking that latest firmware upgrade.

Just curious, why aren’t you taking the new firmware update?

I’m on V03.01.23 and not sure if that’s the latest. A bit confusing to understand Focustronic’s versioning...

erky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i love the alkatronic, i make my own reagent so that cost is basically 0, ph probe was like 60 or something, so 60 in maintence in 2 years isnt bad!

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i love the alkatronic, i make my own reagent so that cost is basically 0, ph probe was like 60 or something, so 60 in maintence in 2 years isnt bad!

Yeah I think my issue with the BT adapter has to do with powering up the unit in an incorrect sequence. I'm not terribly concerned with figuring it out cause that's one of the reasons I run a calcium reactor. It won't nuke my system unless I'm completely careless lol. Having the Alkatronic turn off the Kamoer feed pump is a benefit. It works as intended at the moment so not griping about it.

Also once they release the Mastertronic, I'm gonna jump on that like a kid jumping in a bounce house (that was the more PG analogy ;) ).

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, why aren’t you taking the new firmware update?

I’m on V03.01.23 and not sure if that’s the latest. A bit confusing to understand Focustronic’s versioning...

If it's not broke, I'm not fixing.

Staying put... right here
MVIMG_20200427_180224.jpg

Yeah, it is confusing / taking about the main unit.

There was a 5. 15 new firmware update but I can't find it anymore.

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please go easy on me as I'm still very much learning...

Recently won a giveaway and am getting an Alkatronic, along with a HYDROS Control 4, for my 65 gallon AIO mixed reef. I currently utilize the Balling method, manually dosing AF Component 1+, 2+, and 3+ every morning.

I realize the Alkatronic includes a single dosing pump to dose alkalinity and maintain dKH. A thought I had was to switch from Balling to TM All For Reef and have the Alkatronic automatically dose that according to its test results.

Is this feasible? Good/bad idea?

Anyone have experience doing this? (@mitch91175?)

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please go easy on me as I'm still very much learning...

Recently won a giveaway and am getting an Alkatronic, along with a HYDROS Control 4, for my 65 gallon AIO mixed reef. I currently utilize the Balling method, manually dosing AF Component 1+, 2+, and 3+ every morning.

I realize the Alkatronic includes a single dosing pump to dose alkalinity and maintain dKH. A thought I had was to switch from Balling to TM All For Reef and have the Alkatronic automatically dose that according to its test results.

Is this feasible? Good/bad idea?

Anyone have experience doing this? (@mitch91175?)

I don't see an issue with you using TM All for Reef to maintain your dKH. The question that I would have is what type of coral will/do you have in your system? Do you have colonies or frags? I feel that is important to know simply because having the Alkatronic dose KH/Cal/Mag altogether could lead in increased levels of cal/mag. All depends on your consumption. I personally have Alkatronic dose KH only and my CaRx handling the rest.

Also, congratulations on the free stuff.

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see an issue with you using TM All for Reef to maintain your dKH. The question that I would have is what type of coral will/do you have in your system? Do you have colonies or frags? I feel that is important to know simply because having the Alkatronic dose KH/Cal/Mag altogether could lead in increased levels of cal/mag. All depends on your consumption. I personally have Alkatronic dose KH only and my CaRx handling the rest.

Also, congratulations on the free stuff.

Mostly frags right now, a large trachy, a couple medium sized hammers, and a small-medium torch. It's not yet at a point it is using a lot of nutrients.

I have been dosing Compenents 1+, 2+, and 3+ in equal parts every day and maintaining steady alkalinity (at around 8), Calc (at just under 500), and Mag.

So, are you worried if I let the Alkatronic take over dosing by using All For Reef it may overload the Calc/Mag?

And thanks! It was super cool to find out I won that giveaway....I don't think I would have gotten this equipment right now without it so it's gonna be neat to try it out!

Back