My Honest Opinion About The Alkatronic

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've concluded that allowing your reagent container to be open to the air will slowly evaporate and change the concentration of the reagent. The newly mixed batch will be more diluted and dramatically change the numbers.

I personally switched over to the 1000ml kangaroo gravity drip bags, like you see in hospitals. That way there's no chance of evap from the first day to when it needs to change.

I mix up 4000ml at a time so that I only have to do a baseline every 5th bag change.

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gravity bags are a great idea. I was struggling with the reagent needing to be within a certain height of the unit. That height changes as the reagent is used up, especially if you have a tall container. I guess the bags are sort of the same thing unless there is something in the bag that regulates the pressure no matter how empty or full.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The alkatronic uses peristaltic pumps, which is considered a positive displacement pump, meaning it's not subject to siphoning unless there's something wrong with it (primarily a worn tube). Putting the reagent below the machine is just a precautionary measure. But you'll know if the pump is failing by inaccurate readings.

Also because it's a positive displacement pump, the "gravity"bag doesn't necessarily need to be above the alkatronic either, if you're still concerned you can have the bag below the machine as well.

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what the "solution added" number is in my results?

2019-11-24
05:00
7.95 dKH
pH: 7.86

Solution Added: 38.43ml
Add Note Delete
2019-11-24
03:00
7.86 dKH
pH: 7.87

Solution Added: 61.48ml
Add Note Delete
2019-11-24
01:00
7.81 dKH
pH: 7.90

Solution Added: 37.14ml
Add Note Delete
2019-11-23
23:00
7.70 dKH
pH: 7.99

Solution Added: 51.24ml
Add Note Delete
2019-11-23
21:00
7.78 dKH
pH: 8.02

Solution Added: 40.99ml
Add Note Delete
2019-11-23
19:00
7.78 dKH
pH: 8.05

Solution Added: 40.99ml
Add Note Delete
2019-11-23
17:00
7.89 dKH
pH: 8.05

Solution Added: 53.8ml
Add Note Delete

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't looked in here for a while so apologies if already mentioned.
The silence kit with the earlier build 1+ 2 units there is a issue where the door wouldn't close fully if the silence kit was fitted.
Seems all we need is a 3d printed new shape LCD mount to get around that. Eric was cool with mailing the 3d file so contact him if you want to be able to close the door. Mines in my sump area so i wanted it to close.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't looked in here for a while so apologies if already mentioned.
The silence kit with the earlier build 1+ 2 units there is a issue where the door wouldn't close fully if the silence kit was fitted.
Seems all we need is a 3d printed new shape LCD mount to get around that. Eric was cool with mailing the 3d file so contact him if you want to be able to close the door. Mines in my sump area so i wanted it to close.

Want to print one and send it to me? :)

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want to print one and send it to me? :)

I also don't have a printer or know anyone with one but it wasn't an expensive exercise to get someone to print it for me....seems there's business's doing it,send them the file & boom...:)

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also don't have a printer or know anyone with one but it wasn't an expensive exercise to get someone to print it for me....seems there's business's doing it,send them the file & boom...:)
That's a viable solution, however there shouldn't be any cost incurred on the user.

Not sure how big, or how small the printed piece is, but if anyone local to phoenix needs one printed, I will gladly do it for free.

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can help on your second question. Measuring out the reagent with a beaker and kitchen scale really is not accurate at all. I highly recommend buying a volumetric flask. You can get them on amazon for around $20. This guarantees you get the ratios of the mix correct.

i found plastic ones , does it really need to make of glass ?

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have been getting unstable DKH error as every measurement i am getting different reading. i have recalibrated everything - pump a and c. anyone getting same issue ? i have mixed new reagent multiple times and still same issue

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have been getting unstable DKH error as every measurement i am getting different reading. i have recalibrated everything - pump a and c. anyone getting same issue ? i have mixed new reagent multiple times and still same issue

At a guess watch it while its testing & see if there's any air going thru.
Also check to see if the magnet pill is spinning, i found mine had stopped working but i'm an older build 2 unit.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while since visiting this thread. Well my unit is right at 2 years old and still going. I've had a scare with it but all was resolved and everything still going strong. I've gotten to a point where I do not even calibrate pumps or pH probe according to manufacturer suggestions and everything is still working great.

How many out there still have their units or have decided to switch to something else? I purchased a Trident and sold it cause it just wasn't what I liked. I enjoy being able to test as frequently as I like for dKH. Running a calcium reactor keeps me from needing to test calcium frequently. Magnesium is useless being tested more than once a month. Would be great to hear how everyone's unit is performing.

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mine, but I've NEVER been able to connect it to wifi and it is LOUD despite the screw trick and mine having the silencers.

I wouldn't run a tank without one.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while since visiting this thread. Well my unit is right at 2 years old and still going. I've had a scare with it but all was resolved and everything still going strong. I've gotten to a point where I do not even calibrate pumps or pH probe according to manufacturer suggestions and everything is still working great.

How many out there still have their units or have decided to switch to something else? I purchased a Trident and sold it cause it just wasn't what I liked. I enjoy being able to test as frequently as I like for dKH. Running a calcium reactor keeps me from needing to test calcium frequently. Magnesium is useless being tested more than once a month. Would be great to hear how everyone's unit is performing.

I've had mine over a year now, still running without a hitch! I don't have a calcium reactor, but have a Dosetronic, what a great combination. I've used it with 2 part, 3 part, and now TM All for Reef. They haven't skipped a beat figuring out the dosing amounts to keep alk just where I want it.

"I'll give you my Alkatronic when you pry it from my cold, dead hands."

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine over a year now, still running without a hitch! I don't have a calcium reactor, but have a Dosetronic, what a great combination. I've used it with 2 part, 3 part, and now TM All for Reef. They haven't skipped a beat figuring out the dosing amounts to keep alk just where I want it.

"I'll give you my Alkatronic when you pry it from my cold, dead hands."

Yeah when I thought mine was done I was so sad and frustrated at the same time. Got it going again and was so excited. It's really easy to work on. When I was having my issue with it, support was even going to help me replace the Raspberry Pi with one I could have purchased from any number of sources. I'm still running the same pH probe since the beginning too.

Looking forward to the Masteronic and may look into a Dosetronic once I see if the Mastertronic will work well with the Dosetronic for controlling PO4/NO3. My plan is to use a mix of Lanthanum Chloride to dose from Dosetronic to decrease PO4 (really easy to know the amount to dose to decrease PO4 a certain amount).

Also want to have it where I can dose a mixture of NO3/PO4 to stay within a certain range to increase either of them if necessary. If that functionality is there for the Mastertronic/Dosetronic game over!!!

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mine, but I've NEVER been able to connect it to wifi and it is LOUD despite the screw trick and mine having the silencers.

I wouldn't run a tank without one.

That's strange. I know Wifi is the biggest outstanding concern for the unit, but once you get it connected, it's pretty reliable. Do not know what all you have tried, but using an iOS device is best. Also had issues, but once I got Google Wifi, all my wifi issues in general disappeared for all my devices.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back