My Honest Opinion About The Alkatronic

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mitch91175

Question- Still using the Alkatronic along with the Trident. One thing I can’t figure out is the test are bang on from the alkatronic (7.82) and Hanna (7.8) and Trident is always .30 lower. Anyways the PH is always showing much lower than it actually is but it tests alk perfect, I checked the probe calibration and it was .04 off but that is nothing. I re did the calibration and I’m not surprised nothing really changed since it was barely off anyways.

I have 2 PH probes on the apex and just calibrated them both- probe 1 measures 8.24, probe 2 8.25, Alkatronic 7.98 for the tank

Not sure why the large ph gap but the alkalinity is testing accurate and so is the probe in calibration fluid. I’m not sure it’s worth chasing but was wondering if anyone else sees the same?
The pH on my alkatronic is always a couple tenths lower than my apex. I always attributed that to calibrating to the 4 and 7 solutions vs the 7 and 10 with the apex. But I don’t know. I also notice that when I get a black dot on the alkatronic and a retest, the second pH measures even lower by a few tenths. @Hydrored do you see that also?

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pH on my alkatronic is always a couple tenths lower than my apex. I always attributed that to calibrating to the 4 and 7 solutions vs the 7 and 10 with the apex. But I don’t know. I also notice that when I get a black dot on the alkatronic and a retest, the second pH measures even lower by a few tenths. @Hydrored do you see that also?
I just checked, yes I do see that. Never noticed.

I guess I'm glad to hear it's normal, I figured as much but I also haven't had the best of luck concerning quality with my unit so figured worth the ask

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no

You have to link up with them on their official facebook page and ask to become a group member.

I just use my wife's facebook account. Jonas trouble shot a bad power supply for me two weeks ago on there, and Coralvue sent me a new one after he did the trouble shoot.
@GoVols

My alkatronic died on me a few hours ago. The screen went dark. Is that what happened to your unit when your power supply went bad?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first I hear if one dying. Hope it can be fixed. Good luck and please let us know what you find out.
Thanks. It’s still under warranty by a month. I’ll let everyone know what I learn.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just checked, yes I do see that. Never noticed.

I guess I'm glad to hear it's normal, I figured as much but I also haven't had the best of luck concerning quality with my unit so figured worth the ask
Mine runs the same way. My Hydros is currently showing a Ph of 8.11 when the Alkatronic is showing 7.96.

I tested the dKH on my Hanna and its only 0.05 off

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@GoVols

My alkatronic died on me a few hours ago. The screen went dark. Is that what happened to your unit when your power supply went bad?

Yeah,
But the entire unit stopped working, not just the led screen.

D,
Have you talked to CoralVue at this point?

selcuksan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the mastertronic first and was so impressed I got the alkatronic,defo a little loud but wouldn’t part with it,miles better than ghl director glad to see the back of it
Do you have both? I am in the market for a KH controller, looking at both Alkatronic and KH Director. Could you share your insights?

paul01609

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ghl app terrible unit is almost silent, any adjustments to it would need a day for the unit to stabilise
alkatronic is just a heck of a lot better only down side for me is it’s loud but I test 4 times a day it doesn’t bother me.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah,
But the entire unit stopped working, not just the led screen.

D,
Have you talked to CoralVue at this point?
My entire unit stopped as well. I checked the power supply and it seemed to be working properly.

I sent Coralvue the unit this week and they will take a look at it. Unfortunately, they are very close to New Orleans which is in the hurricane Ida cone right now and likely evacuated.

selcuksan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ghl app terrible unit is almost silent, any adjustments to it would need a day for the unit to stabilise
alkatronic is just a heck of a lot better only down side for me is it’s loud but I test 4 times a day it doesn’t bother me.
I already have GHL Profilux 4, I hear you regarding the app, not really intuitive.

Regarding KH director, what did you mean by adjustments? Like calibration, or moving the probe etc?

How loud is Alkatronic?

paul01609

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the ALK adjustment isoftware or any other changes you made or a recalibration took ages for the unit to settle again.
alkatronic is loud I know there is a kit to lower the sound I honestly don’t know if mine has it in already.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My entire unit stopped as well. I checked the power supply and it seemed to be working properly.

I sent Coralvue the unit this week and they will take a look at it. Unfortunately, they are very close to New Orleans which is in the hurricane Ida cone right now and likely evacuated.

I've been in touch with Grant (until Friday) at CoraVue as well. Hope those guys are doing okay.

george7523

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally finished setting up my new unit of alkatronic v.3. have a couple of questions.

1. I notice during the titration process, the magnet that spins at the bottom of the beaker creates alot of micro bubbles that gets trapped in the tip of the ph probe. (please see attached pictures) Doesn't this render the test inaccurate ? I do have the probe 2cm off the bottom of the beaker, but this doesn't prevent bubbles from gathering at the tip.

I notice the plastic wall that partially protrudes out to protect the glass orb might be the reason the bubbles are getting trapped. But I notice that almost all ph probes are designed this way. What is the purpose of the plastic tips surrounding the orb ? Can we cut the plastics off to prevent bubbles from getting trapped ?

2. during calibration, I wipe the tip of the ph probe (the glass orb) with tissue after swirling it in RO water in between ph7 and ph4 calibration. The instruction says not to touch it. I thought it meant not touching it with your finger, so I thought wiping it with tissue to dry it off would be ok. How critical of an issue is it to wipe the tip with tissue ? I didn't let it sit dry for too long. probably 2 minutes at the most. the instruction says not to exceed 5 min of dry time.

thanks for any help

PXL_20211019_103535609.jpg PXL_20211019_103551354.jpg PXL_20211019_103558720.jpg PXL_20211019_103607002.jpg PXL_20211019_103705711.jpg

Last edited:

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally finished setting up my new unit of alkatronic v.3. have a couple of questions.

1. I notice during the titration process, the magnet that spins at the bottom of the beaker creates alot of micro bubbles that gets trapped in the tip of the ph probe. (please see attached pictures) Doesn't this render the test inaccurate ? I do have the probe 2cm off the bottom of the beaker, but this doesn't prevent bubbles from gathering at the tip.

I notice the plastic wall that partially protrudes out to protect the glass orb might be the reason the bubbles are getting trapped. But I notice that almost all ph probes are designed this way. What is the purpose of the plastic tips surrounding the orb ? Can we cut the plastics off to prevent bubbles from getting trapped ?

2. during calibration, I wipe the tip of the ph probe (the glass orb) with tissue after swirling it in RO water in between ph7 and ph4 calibration. The instruction says not to touch it. I thought it meant not touching it with your finger, so I thought wiping it with tissue to dry it off would be ok. How critical of an issue is it to wipe the tip with tissue ? I didn't let it sit dry for too long. probably 2 minutes at the most. the instruction says not to exceed 5 min of dry time.

thanks for any help

PXL_20211019_103535609.jpg PXL_20211019_103551354.jpg PXL_20211019_103558720.jpg PXL_20211019_103607002.jpg PXL_20211019_103705711.jpg
The bubbles do not seem to cause a problem with the pH probe reading. I’m sure they are not desirable but also don’t seem to be a problem.

Every pH probe that I have used over the past 20 years or so work just fine with a quick ro water swirl between the calibrations. The big thing to remember is to calibrate the probe again in a week or two as they almost always drift from calibration after the first several days.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’re they able to fix it?
If you are talking about mine, yes it is fixed. In fact, they couldn’t find a problem with mine. But it didn’t work when I sent it but it works now. I shipped it, unknowingly, just before the hurricane. Plus the rep I was working with left the company in the middle of my repair. So I am quite puzzled about what happened but it works now :)

R-balljunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
South Pacific Ocean Longitude: 167.6546 deg. Latit
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the Alkatronic setup a few days. One thing that i cannot figure out is why the ph reading is much much higher than my tanks readings.

All probes are less than 6 months old, calibrated same day, 3 points starting at 7,10, then 4. I have two probes on my main tank. Is it normal for the Alkatronics ph reading to be that much higher than my aquariums? i've recalibrated twice for the Alkatronic ph sensor.

Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 10.41.35 PM.png

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just going to share a word of warning to don't leave it too long to not run a prime/calibrate on Pump D the alk addition head.
I hadn't done one for ages & my 2 part doser had an issue.
Where the alkatronic was set to pick up & dose once it got below the action mode level it thought it was dosing but the line was crusted up so nothing was going in.
Had Fusion2 plumbed to it - think i might swap to something weaker to try help stop that repeating.
As well as slap myself to run/check that line a bit more often.

Back