My initial thought is to pull it... burn it... and then bury it. BUT is there hope to save it

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came home today to find one of my zoas with multiple “pest anemones” poking through. I say pest anemones because I’m not sure if they are Majano or Aiptasia. I had one a month ago and pulled it. I didn’t see anymore and then today I see at least 9. I’d hate for it to spread, if it hasn’t already.

So my thought is to pull this frag out, but I really like these zoas. Is there anything I can do? I already have a peppermint shrimp, he has done nothing to help.
287C98EC-73B2-4D6A-B75F-0CC875D41E8C.jpeg
F863E0CF-30FC-4721-91AD-D35F1156DA60.jpeg

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are clove polyps, very invasive indeed they will in time take over the tank not just the rock they are now.

my suggestion would be to dismount the frag plug and give it a febenzadole dip. Febenzadole will kill the clove polyps but the zoas should survive it.

if you decide this route please read a few threads about dosing amounts and safety measures plz.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do Clove Polyps typically retract really far when you try to grab them? I tried to pull one of these and it near disappeared when it retracted. That is why is was thinking anemone.
They do but if can get a more close up picture we may be more helpful, even though they seem to be clove polyps

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing that i have done with success when the zoas are getting infested is to pull it and frag out what you can that is clean and pest free and start them on fresh clean frag plugs. you get to save the zoa you like but the colony has to start over.

Jvalle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Aptasia to me, can you take a pic under white lights.
One thing that i have done with success when the zoas are getting infested is to pull it and frag out what you can that is clean and pest free and start them on fresh clean frag plugs. you get to save the zoa you like but the colony has to start over.
Do Clove Polyps typically retract really far when you try to grab them? I tried to pull one of these and it near disappeared when it retracted. That is why is was thinking anemone.

Hi I would just take the frag out if u can and clean it up to get rid of what’s not the zoa. I have to do this every month to one of my colonies because I have green star polyp growing on it and it chokes the zoas . See before and after here. It’s hard to get rid of it completely without hurting the zoa it’s like surgery lol

50B180A4-8A9C-416C-B061-E8FD7B028932.jpeg 095F4944-6ED6-4826-8907-63AC677A4042.jpeg

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I would just take the frag out if u can and clean it up to get rid of what’s not the zoa. I have to do this every month to one of my colonies because I have green star polyp growing on it and it chokes the zoas . See before and after here. It’s hard to get rid of it completely without hurting the zoa it’s like surgery lol

I had that same issue, GSP kept overloading them. I got sick of pulling it and trying to scrape it clean with a scalpel and i found an aiptasia in there too and that was the last straw. you weren't kidding though, they are TOUGH to separate.

emilio365

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think those are cloves. But if you run into Aiptasia, I always been able to eradicate them with a Peppermint Shimo.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had that same issue, GSP kept overloading them. I got sick of pulling it and trying to scrape it clean with a scalpel and i found an aiptasia in there too and that was the last straw. you weren't kidding though, they are TOUGH to separate.

That’s my fear. I’d almost rather pull it, then have to do removal constantly with the fear of it spreading.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A better picture would help, but if it is Aiptasia, I had always had success wit a Peppermint Shrimp.

did you see the new pictures I posted? Did those help? I do have a peppermint shrimp he’s done nothing.... unless there are a ton elsewhere that he’s working on.

Jvalle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi it looks like clove to me honestly . Never seen aptasia like that but I can be wrong . Regardless it will grow everywhere so take it out to avoid future headaches . Thx

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s my fear. I’d almost rather pull it, then have to do removal constantly with the fear of it spreading.
Yep, been there. After having pulled and fragged them they are spotless though. Mine are still in a quarantine tank for observation though, going on week 2 and still no signs of re-infestation.

Good luck!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 72 42.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back