My is blenny dead, and now sixline wrasse is MIA. What happened?

ReefKing101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up this morning to find my blenny being eaten by my nassarius snail. Not sure if the snail killed it or he was just eating the dead body, it was also dead right next to my long tentacle plate coral did this kill my blenny? Only had him for a couple days. Now I can’t find my sixline wrasse anywhere! I’ve looked and he’s no where to be found. Only a 25g tank to!!

EDIT: found the wrasse was hiding in a rock cave. He’s not moving though and breathing fast

Last edited:

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The snail did not kill it. It is just doing what is natural and that is taking care of dead decaying organisms. The blenny died from some other cause, and sounds like the wrasse is not doing to well based on what was explained. I would test your water and see if any water parameters are severely out of exceptable ranges.

It is a start, but there could be other factors as well, but I would start with the testing of the water. Hope that helps and wish for the best outcome.

OP
OP
R

ReefKing101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The snail did not kill it. It is just doing what is natural and that is taking care of dead decaying organisms. The blenny died from some other cause, and sounds like the wrasse is not doing to well based on what was explained. I would test your water and see if any water parameters are severely out of exceptable ranges.

It is a start, but there could be other factors as well, but I would start with the testing of the water. Hope that helps and wish for the best outcome.

When i put them in i didnt drip acculmate them only tempreture and i tested LFS water and there salininty was 29.5 and mine is 33.2 would this jump have killed them? They have been fine for 3 days though

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a full line of tests, in particular ammonia and nitrite. Oxygen levels are also a good candidate if you don't have enough surface disturbance. Photos would help.

It would also help to know the size and age of this tank.

There's a lot of things that can kill new fish. A 3 point change in salinity isn't high on the list.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you sound like a new fish keeper.
The heavy breathing could be from a few things
One being ammonia burns to the gills
ICH parasite in the gills.
These are the most common culprets
Both are fatal things.

A small tank like your 25 gallon is much harder to keep stabil.

You said you have only had them a few days so clearly you did not choose to QT the fish so if its ICH then all your other fish are most likley infected.

Dont mean to be harsh so apologize in advance.

OP
OP
R

ReefKing101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you sound like a new fish keeper.
The heavy breathing could be from a few things
One being ammonia burns to the gills
ICH parasite in the gills.
These are the most common culprets
Both are fatal things.

A small tank like your 25 gallon is much harder to keep stabil.

You said you have only had them a few days so clearly you did not choose to QT the fish so if its ICH then all your other fish are most likley infected.

Dont mean to be harsh so apologize in advance.
Water parameters are all fine tested everything. My other 2 clowns that have been in for a few weeks seem fine. Only the new fish died

TvanB1

Mostly Fish; Few breeding projects underway
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water parameters are all fine tested everything. My other 2 clowns that have been in for a few weeks seem fine. Only the new fish died

How long has the tank been set up?
Have you noticed any spots or other irregularities on the fish?
Have you made and considerable changes to the tank recently?
Posting test values would certainly be helpful.
Heavy breathing can be caused by low oxygen, high ammonia, stress, parasites in the gills, etc..
It’s hard to say whats wrong without exact test numbers and other relevant information.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posting "All numbers are fine" means nothing to us. We need hard numbers! what may seem fine to you as a new reefer, may in fact be very fatal to someone who knows how to interpret those hard numbers.

Basically help us, help you.

OP
OP
R

ReefKing101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been set up?
Have you noticed any spots or other irregularities on the fish?
Have you made and considerable changes to the tank recently?
Posting test values would certainly be helpful.
Heavy breathing can be caused by low oxygen, high ammonia, stress, parasites in the gills, etc..
It’s hard to say whats wrong without exact test numbers and other relevant information.

Sorry for the late reply!
Tanks been up an running for 2.5 months now
Nothing regarding spots or anything odd looking on the fish
I do the odd water change but i havent since i added these fish

There both dead now anyway. was very sad to see and also cost me close to $90 for the 2 of them. Both my clowns are doing absolutely fine though so its strange

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back