My jawless Potter’s wrasse

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Got this guy a little less than two weeks ago. I ordered two. One came in almost dead and died within a few hours (DOA only guarantees suck). This one came in looking lively at least but with a bacterial infection near its dorsal fin and some damage to the mouth. The bacterial infection was taken care of with Kanaplex. Unfortunately, the upper jaw could not be saved and actually fell off. I assumed it would soon die but it started eating live brine. After the first 5-6 days it started taking PE mysis. I think the hole will be in the dorsal fin permanently. The infection ate away some tissue and a couple of the bones of the dorsal fin actually fell off. Infection seems to be cleared up at this point though. I’m not sure how long it can last like this since it likely can’t catch pods but for now it is really fat and being fed 6-8 times a day.

This is a new tank so it doesn’t look great yet but my goal is to eventually have 3 Potter’s and I’ll be adding my Choati soon. I’m just nervous to change anything with the Choati that I have in my 90g since it’s doing so well in there.

kichimark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the fish you ordered came in with a severe bacterial infection? Man, I would never do business with them again. Really glad the fish ended up with someone that cares and knows what they are doing though. Good job.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Infections can happen during transport.

I've found leopards with missing jaws actually do pretty well in captivity. Make sure to feed frequently throughout the day, because his pod hunting ability is greatly diminished.

I would recommend against mixing him with other leopards though. There is a social hierarchy and he will not be able to compete.

OP
OP
J

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Infections can happen during transport.

I've found leopards with missing jaws actually do pretty well in captivity. Make sure to feed frequently throughout the day, because his pod hunting ability is greatly diminished.

I would recommend against mixing him with other leopards though. There is a social hierarchy and he will not be able to compete.

He’s going to have to figure it out. I haven’t found my Choati to be aggressive with any other leopards. I have a big blue star male that’s aggressive to newcomers so he will stay in the 90 or eventually be sold. These two fish are the main reason I set up the 210g I think they do fine together.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s going to have to figure it out. I haven’t found my Choati to be aggressive with any other leopards. I have a big blue star male that’s aggressive to newcomers so he will stay in the 90 or eventually be sold. These two fish are the main reason I set up the 210g I think they do fine together.
It doesn't have to overt aggression for it to be a problem for a fish with a disability. It's not that you can't mix leopards, it's that this particular potters is at a significant disadvantage, one that will ultimately cost him his life if he "going to have to figure it out."

OP
OP
J

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the fish you ordered came in with a severe bacterial infection? Man, I would never do business with them again. Really glad the fish ended up with someone that cares and knows what they are doing though. Good job.

Yea. I was a bit disappointed with the order. They weren’t cheap and to have one die within hours of delivery was a bit tough to take. Then the issues with this one was frustrating too. To be fair though the damage to the dorsal area was only a small hole when it arrived. Then it got rapidly worse in the first 2 days. The kanaplex definitely saved it. I tried to get a pic showing the hole but this thing doesn’t like to stay still.

With any leopard I think it’s just luck of the draw how they do in shipping and these were drop shipped from the wholesaler so I can’t really blame the seller. I do wish they’d offer at least a 24hr guarantee though. I do have a possibility to get two from a seller I trust totally that keeps their fish and treats them before shipping coming in a couple weeks. I’m just hoping they make it to him in good shape.

OP
OP
J

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't have to overt aggression for it to be a problem for a fish with a disability. It's not that you can't mix leopards, it's that this particular potters is at a significant disadvantage, one that will ultimately cost him his life if he "going to have to figure it out."

Not sure how you would think having another leopard that doesn’t harass this fish is going to cause it any issues? It will still get plenty of frozen foods and it likely can’t catch pods anymore whether there is another leopard in the tank or not. I did just add 3000 amphipods to the tank. I’m hoping it may be able to still hunt for those since they are so much larger than the copepods.

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how you would think having another leopard that doesn’t harass this fish is going to cause it any issues. It will still get plenty of frozen foods and it likely can’t catch pods anymore whether there is another leopard in the tank or not.
ALL wrasses create a social hierarchy that is kept in place by displays of aggression, whether that's flaring fins, some chasing, some biting. Even if you don't notice or observe it, it still happens.

Couple this with the fact that the other leopards will be able to hunt pods while the potters will be limited, further puts him at a disadvantage, as the others will put on size and gain strength.

Even though he will still get fed frozen, so will the others, and their dominence during feeding will mean the damaged potters will get smaller pieces of food and less desireable spots in the feeding frenzy, so that this too has a cumulative effect on his ability to compete.

It's a shame that he survived a bacterial infection and lost jaw to not be able to survive 2019.

OP
OP
J

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ALL wrasses create a social hierarchy that is kept in place by displays of aggression, whether that's flaring fins, some chasing, some biting. Even if you don't notice or observe it, it still happens.

Couple this with the fact that the other leopards will be able to hunt pods while the potters will be limited, further puts him at a disadvantage, as the others will put on size and gain strength.

Even though he will still get fed frozen, so will the others, and their dominence during feeding will mean the damaged potters will get smaller pieces of food and less desireable spots in the feeding frenzy, so that this too has a cumulative effect on his ability to compete.

It's a shame that he survived a bacterial infection and lost jaw to not be able to survive 2019.
Lol. I feed more than my fish can eat. I’m not some idiot that has never kept difficult wrasses before. I would bet I have more success than most with my leopards. It will get plenty of food but thanks for your concern.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be posting updates good or bad. I doubt there are many people on this site that have kept Choati more successfully than me and I think Potter’s are just as difficult. I’ll succeed with Potter’s as well.
How many choati have you had and for how long?

OP
OP
J

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many choati have you had and for how long?

I had 2 together for two years and sold them 7-8 months ago. Sold those because I had them in a 90g with two gigantea anemones. The anemones were getting giant and I was getting worried the wrasses may get snagged by them at some point. The current one I have was a LFS rescue that has been with me for 7months. Fat and growing. I ordered one other one recently but it died within 2 hrs of getting it.

OP
OP
J

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are your tips for keeping choati and potters?

I inject their food with panacur once they start eating mysis. I do this once every 3 days for a total of 4 treatments. Not sure this is the reason that I’ve done pretty well with the Choati but it seems to help. I don’t use prazi on my wrasses. Aside from that I just give them a good sandbed and feed them small meals all through the day. Especially when they first arrive. On the weekends I’ll feed up to 10 times in a day.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think she's amazing! I'd love to see you do an entire thread on just her. I'm impressed with her will to live and her ability to rise above her challenges.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he's amazing! I'd love to see you do an entire thread on just him. I'm impressed with his will to live and his ability to rise above his challenges.

I definitely like her. Still not out of the woods yet though. I start feeling pretty confident with leopards after about a month. This one definitely likes to eat though and her belly is fat. Seems to have good body mass as well.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back