My JF Sunday Driver is slowly picking up speed

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has never looked like a Tenuis to me, but I also have never seen anything sizeable in person. There should be more axial corallites if it was a Tenuis. It does not matter at all, but perhaps why it grows faster than other tenuis...

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has never looked like a Tenuis to me, but I also have never seen anything sizeable in person. There should be more axial corallites if it was a Tenuis. It does not matter at all, but perhaps why it grows faster than other tenuis...
Paging @C. Eymann

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s JF stock pic
CD585754-C31D-4AAC-BB89-8B93860FE001.png

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a Tenuis to me as well. Mine grows thinner branches bc it’s in lower par and flow. I’ve thought about putting a frag in higher flow and par but they sell too quick hahah

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It should have more axial corallites? huh? @Chaswood79's piece is compromised of mostly axial/ incipient axial corallites? All those growth "off shoots" would be considered axial corallites or incipient axial corallites-soon to be axial corallites if they are forming on a developed branchlet that haven’t developed their own radial corallites.

Looks like a Tenuis to me. Sure there are tenuis look alikes like vermiculata, striata, also eurystoma (which is now synonymous with tenuis/considered to be "Redsea" tenuis as far as taxonomy goes.

Vermiculata will have thicker radial corallite walls with a more compressed dimidate, they dont flare out as much and have a more organized rasplike arrangement.

Striata is close in morphology and has actually been dubbed "skinny tenuis/deepwater tenuis" but radial corallite arrangement is a bit different to my understanding.

By the way @Chaswood79, looking beautiful man!

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should have more axial corallites? huh? @Chaswood79's piece is compromised of mostly axial/ incipient axial corallites? All those growth "off shoots" would be considered axial corallites or incipient axial corallites-soon to be axial corallites if they are forming on a developed branchlet that haven’t developed their own radial corallites.

Looks like a Tenuis to me. Sure there are tenuis look alikes like vermiculata, striata, also eurystoma (which is now synonymous with tenuis/considered to be "Redsea" tenuis as far as taxonomy goes.

Vermiculata will have thicker radial corallite walls with a more compressed dimidate, they dont flare out as much and have a more organized rasplike arrangement.

Striata is close in morphology and has actually been dubbed "skinny tenuis/deepwater tenuis" but radial corallite arrangement is a bit different to my understanding.

Couldn’t of said it better myself
Hahaha

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What part of the coral is the dimidate?

Chaswood, can you blow the polyps back on that piece and get a picture? I do see what jda is saying. Kinda looks a little like striata but the polyps are just in the way...

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What part of the coral is the dimidate?

Chaswood, can you blow the polyps back on that piece and get a picture? I do see what jda is saying. Kinda looks a little like striata but the polyps are just in the way...
Et tu Pedo??

Jason Fox’s colony pic doesn’t look like a Tenuis to you?

Last edited:

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Eymann is spot on of course. I was just saying the growth he was talking about at the tips looks different but it’s just the way it’s growing. Didn’t mean to make it sound like it was probably something else, just meant to say I see where jda was coming from with the thought. Look at my joe the coral colony, now that will make you wonder about it being a tenuis. The main branches are extreemly thick and it grows in clumps. I am really curious about it because ora calls it a stag and I can’t find any discussions on what it is.
Honestly I kinda just wanted c eymann to continue with his acro ID talk, nothing intrigues me more than a bunch of ID speculation :)

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way it looks awesome with the polyps blown back (not that it looked bad to start). Reminds me of some of the fresh Tonga tenuis with neon polyps, nice soft colors on it too.

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Eymann is spot on of course. I was just saying the growth he was talking about at the tips looks different but it’s just the way it’s growing. Didn’t mean to make it sound like it was probably something else, just meant to say I see where jda was coming from with the thought. Look at my joe the coral colony, now that will make you wonder about it being a tenuis. The main branches are extreemly thick and it grows in clumps. I am really curious about it because ora calls it a stag and I can’t find any discussions on what it is.
Honestly I kinda just wanted c eymann to continue with his acro ID talk, nothing intrigues me more than a bunch of ID speculation :)
Joe the coral looks like a Tenuis to me

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back