My Journey fighting Ich, Marine Velvet and Bacterial Infections

lonewonderer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends, I just want to share my story about battling with ich, marive velvet and bacterial infections on my 120 gallon bare bottom FOWLR tank. A couple weeks ago my fishes contracted these parasites and BI. So I humbly asked this forum for help. People like @Humble fish, @melypr1985 and others help me and gave me an idea which treatment is best for my situation. So here are the fishes that contracted Ich, MVand BI.

French angel
Harlequin tusk
Purple tang
Powder brown tang

So after the suggested treatments like Copper, Hyposalinity and Tank transfer. I decided to go with Copper treatment and prazipro on my display tank since I don't have any inverts. Now after a week spots are gone and fin rots and bacterial infections went away. I still have 3 more weeks for my copper treatment and I just dosed my round 2 for prozipro today. Here are some before and after photos of the infected fishes. I have bought Zyme 9 from fritz aquatics because they told me to put these bacteria so I can control the ammonia in the tank. I just want to share my experience with you guys. I will update you guys when I'm totally done with my copper treatment.

mv1.JPG

mv2.JPG

mv4.JPG

mv5.JPG

mv3.JPG

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are discussing fish immunity and quarantine in another thread, I have a question for this forum here

Does qt prevent the diseases covered in this post? The 76 day fallow period stops this from occurring right?

OP
OP
lonewonderer

lonewonderer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Brandon, I have called fritz aquatic and spoke with Aaron from tech support and he told me that copper treatment should be done in a period of 30 days. Sorry i'm pretty new to saltwater and does not understand the whole 9 yards yet. What does 76 day fallow means?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That statement is meant to get us educated on prevention along with the treatment cures they'll clarify off your initial post soon.

I'm not a fish guy so it's fun to look at both sides of the equation as I continue to read up on prevention

The fallow period is a time that literally anything which will be added to a given tank is held in isolation for 76 days so that all those pathogens you're treating starve before you have to treat them.

I'm about to link someone from nano reef to this thread and was wanting to chime in to the fish experts to ask if qt prevents this type of work

I want to know if anything along the lines of what the OP is treating here could get past effective qt, how inevitable are these diseases

OP
OP
lonewonderer

lonewonderer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a QT but its only a 10 gallon that's why i decided to dose copper in my DT. I'm currently in the process of donating my freshwater fishes to my LF so i can have a bigger QT which is a 55 gallon. I quarantine my small fishes for my reef tank but I have big adult fishes that won't fit my 10 gallon. Hopefully I can finish this task so I can have a bigger QT tank.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I can't wait to find out how effective it is

If I'm not misreading other threads it stops most or all known pathogens? Sounds good to be true but the qt trend is big nowadays and people want to know

OP
OP
lonewonderer

lonewonderer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes me too. that is my next journey after this 30 day period. need to see when will be the next storm arrives.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
quick bumps we are wanting to know about both treatment and prevention from the fish studiers~

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Fallow" refers to a period of time during which a tank is maintained with no fish at all. Without fish, Brooklynella and velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum) will starve themselves out in about six weeks, but ich (Cryptocaryon irritans) has been found to be capable of surviving for up to 72 days - which is why most folks will recommend a fallow period of 76 days. Uronema marinum has no fallow period associated with it - it's an opportunistic parasite, but can survive on detritus as well, so once it's in ... it's in.

With parasitic diseases such as ich, velvet and flukes as common as they are these days, a quarantine tank - and prophylactic treatment for those parasites - come highly recommended. It's easier to get 'em off the fish a few at a time in a fairly clean glass box than it is to treat an entire display full of rock which can absorb much of the medication. (Especially if there are inverts involved.)

~Bruce

OP
OP
lonewonderer

lonewonderer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Fallow" refers to a period of time during which a tank is maintained with no fish at all. Without fish, Brooklynella and velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum) will starve themselves out in about six weeks, but ich (Cryptocaryon irritans) has been found to be capable of surviving for up to 72 days - which is why most folks will recommend a fallow period of 76 days. Uronema marinum has no fallow period associated with it - it's an opportunistic parasite, but can survive on detritus as well, so once it's in ... it's in.

With parasitic diseases such as ich, velvet and flukes as common as they are these days, a quarantine tank - and prophylactic treatment for those parasites - come highly recommended. It's easier to get 'em off the fish a few at a time in a fairly clean glass box than it is to treat an entire display full of rock which can absorb much of the medication. (Especially if there are inverts involved.)

~Bruce
thank you for the added information.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back