My Kalk isn’t doing anything

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
solved: I realized when I reorganized all my wires and hung the DOS etc the dos for CA was hooked up backwards. Ugh

240g, 300system. 4 months old geared towards sps. 40 frags and 20 fish.
So I’ve set up a doser for Kalk though a Kalk reactor (pump type) and when I had it off for a few weeks I was using the DOS on a 2 part. The reason for this was I thought the Kalk was driving my calcium too high and not my kh as my trident read 650ppm. I later calibrated it to find it was 350ppm. So went back to Kalk.

my calcium hasn’t been doing much and was sitting around 380 and my KH seems to decline without 2 part.
For calcium I was doing 100, 200ml a day monitoring as I increased. Since I’ve added 1000ml a day as instructed by BRS calculator to get my calcium to 420. I’m at 400 after 2 days.
kh is a similar story but somewhere around 90ml a day does well.

so why isn’t my Kalk reactor doing anything. I say this because when it was off I was still dosing the same amount and I was hoping t replace the two part. I dose a gallon of Kalk a day via DOS. I have added more Kalk powder to the reactor on 2 Occasions.

Thoughts??

Last edited:
OP
OP
NEFFx

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Normal” not sure. I still think it’s strange how much calcium my tank is using for no coralline and 30 sps frags. (4 months old). 300ml a day plus 1 gallon of kalk? But trident is hooked up so just trying to figure it out. Calcium reactor is about 3ft away on the sidelines but wasn’t epecting to need it for a while.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Normal” not sure. I still think it’s strange how much calcium my tank is using for no coralline and 30 sps frags. (4 months old). 300ml a day plus 1 gallon of kalk? But trident is hooked up so just trying to figure it out. Calcium reactor is about 3ft away on the sidelines but wasn’t epecting to need it for a while.

Might be substantial calcium carbonate precipitation. Some is normal, a lot is not.

Not sure what two part you are using to evaluate the dose added, but if its my DIY (like BRS), then you are adding:

300 mL alk part in 240 gallons = 1.8 dKH per day
1 gallon saturated limewater (kalk) in 240 gallons = 0.5 dKh per day

Total 2.3 dKh per day

That's not super high, but might be a sign of some substantial precipitation.

Sand seem Ok?

OP
OP
NEFFx

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be substantial calcium carbonate precipitation. Some is normal, a lot is not.

Not sure what two part you are using to evaluate the dose added, but if its my DIY (like BRS), then you are adding:

300 mL alk part in 240 gallons = 1.8 dKH per day
1 gallon saturated limewater (kalk) in 240 gallons = 0.5 dKh per day

Total 2.3 dKh per day

That's not super high, but might be a sign of some substantial precipitation.

Sand seem Ok?
I dose 90ml of kh (brs) a day to keep high 10s. 500ml of Ca a day trying to get up to 420 gradually. Increases about 5ppm a day. I add 25ml of OH 3% most days last week to keep the cyano issue down. Sand looks fine. Kalk is a gallon a day, I can increase it, just seems the DOS will be tasked a lot for it. I was hoping the Kalk would handle the requirements but doesn’t seem like it alone. Barely have coral growth currently.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back