My kids are making me start a reef tank… that’s what I’m telling my wife.

dmsc2fs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings!

Will likely be starting a reef tank this year.
My kids ARE actually wanting me to do it, but I really want to as well. :)

I used to keep freshwater aquariums as a kid. Did a few planted tanks as an adult as well.

I had a couple false starts with saltwater over the years, so I’m finally hoping to actually do it this time.

Based on the space we have available, I’m thinking about a 29 gallon display tank with a 29 gallon sump/refugium below it.

I’ve been lurking for the past few weeks, and I’ve got the nod from my wife, so I’m going to start actually making plans.

It’s almost overwhelming, but I love researching and learning, so I’m looking forward to it.
Welcome. Careful on your measurements for your stand. A 29G below a 29G will have the same footprint. :)

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R.
you're welcome love GIF

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings!

I used to keep freshwater aquariums as a kid. Did a few planted tanks as an adult as well.

I had a couple false starts with saltwater over the years, so I’m finally hoping to actually do it this time.

Based on the space we have available, I’m thinking about a 29 gallon display tank with a 29 gallon sump/refugium below it.

I’ve been lurking for the past few weeks, and I’ve got the nod from my wife, so I’m going to start actually making plans.

It’s almost overwhelming, but I love researching and learning, so I’m looking forward to it.
Welcome to R2R
Anything for the kids. I do it for my wife ;)
Welcome to R2R.JPG

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings!

Welcome! Glad you joined. This is a great hobby for the whole family!!

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I wish I had started while still in the planning stages, like you are now. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I have a 29gallon and love it. I dont use a sump bit if you're going with a sump I would do a 20gal probably that way it will fit under the 29gal. You can also set it up like mine. Hope it goes well. Take it slow sounds like you're doing it right. Lurking here and reading up is important.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back