My LFS feeding lettuce? is this ok?

lonewonderer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I saw my LFS feeding lettuce for their tangs. is this ok? I know they are hervs but lettuce?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Romaine or some of the various "leaf" lettuces, no problem. Iceberg lettuce ... I wouldn't even feed that stuff to people. It's a nutritional wasteland.

Some of the high-quality frozen herbivore blends utilize land-based foods as well - I've spotted bits of broccoli drifting about in my tank. (So has my tang - and snarfed them up.)

~Bruce

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Romaine or some of the various "leaf" lettuces, no problem. Iceberg lettuce ... I wouldn't even feed that stuff to people. It's a nutritional wasteland.

~Bruce
Yes, but they love it and keeps them happy between meals without adding any nutrients to the water.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gone back and fourth on feeding lettuce as I used to feed it in the early years of keeping tanks. While the fish will eat it and there are many people that have fish eating lettuce long term with no ill effects I find that I would rather feed live macro algae or nori. I will say it is a great food to get fish feeding in a aquarium if they will not eat other foods. I would not be to concerned if a LFS is feeding lettuce as long as the fish are willing to eat other foods. Whether you like to feed lettuce to your fish or not I would always recommend that you feed a variety of foods to herbivores.

Jeff1989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new tang have a post about it I couldn't get him to eat nothing foe the first 2 weeks then read about the romaine he tears that stuff up ha bit still won't eat anything else how often should indeed this 2 him don't want it to get sick off romaine I know it's ok of they eat it as like a treat but thats all he eats right now thx

Jeff1989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new tang have a post about it I couldn't get him to eat nothing foe the first 2 weeks then read about the romaine he tears that stuff up ha bit still won't eat anything else how often should indeed this 2 him don't want it to get sick off romaine I know it's ok of they eat it as like a treat but thats all he eats right now thx
Sorry for that confusing post stupid auto correct gotta love it

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back